2nd Amendment stepped on again.

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
November 2nd 2016 I lost my wife. She had fought for 8 years and finally went home. In April I followed her wishes and took her ashes to the grand canyon. She rests there now with our beloved Wiemeraners ashes nearby. Driving back across the country I decided to stop at the military base where we had met 35 years prior.

I followed the rules and stopped at the visitor center at the front gate and asked about securing my firearm while i visited on post. I was informed that the Federal Police force had no means to store my weapon for 2 hours and I would have to go to the civilian police off base and request them to handle it.

I figured they were busy enough with trainees getting their first tastes of freedom to bother them. I received the same story at 2 other bases i went to...

So Stopping at my Daughters house for a few days I left my weapon at her house and drove to Wright Patterson AFB to do some shopping. Bought some personal Items and a new shirt at the PX then went over to the 4 seasons to stock up on some fishing supplies...( I hadn't been fishing in several years taking care of the Mrs.) What to my surprise when I found not only fishing supplies but a complete gun store.

So since I had been looking for a new 9mm, I went ahead and got one, with ammo. And I had to sign a piece of paper saying I promised to leave post with my new weapon immediately and not to bring it back on post.

Answers from Congress critters were basically non existent over this story....

Now update to this year, 2 November, It has been one year since Mrs O has become my guardian angel. I did not want to stay home that day. I left the house early and planned on driving aimlessly down roads I had never been on before and return home near dinner time or even later.
So I find myself somewhere east and possibly south of Pittsburgh PA. And I see a sign directing me toward the Allegheny National Cemetery. Now here i am just before Veterans Day, out mourning my wife, and I see this sign directing me to my Brothers.
Providence? I follow the signs another 4 miles through the winding hills and come up to the gate.

there is a sign....... no firearms beyond this point..... Who the hell are you going to shoot in a cemetery?

November 2nd 2016 I lost my wife. She had fought for 8 years and finally went home. In April I followed her wishes and took her ashes to the grand canyon. She rests there now with our beloved Wiemeraners ashes nearby. Driving back across the country I decided to stop at the military base where we had met 35 years prior.

I followed the rules and stopped at the visitor center at the front gate and asked about securing my firearm while i visited on post. I was informed that the Federal Police force had no means to store my weapon for 2 hours and I would have to go to the civilian police off base and request them to handle it.

I figured they were busy enough with trainees getting their first tastes of freedom to bother them. I received the same story at 2 other bases i went to...

So Stopping at my Daughters house for a few days I left my weapon at her house and drove to Wright Patterson AFB to do some shopping. Bought some personal Items and a new shirt at the PX then went over to the 4 seasons to stock up on some fishing supplies...( I hadn't been fishing in several years taking care of the Mrs.) What to my surprise when I found not only fishing supplies but a complete gun store.

So since I had been looking for a new 9mm, I went ahead and got one, with ammo. And I had to sign a piece of paper saying I promised to leave post with my new weapon immediately and not to bring it back on post.

Answers from Congress critters were basically non existent over this story....

Now update to this year, 2 November, It has been one year since Mrs O has become my guardian angel. I did not want to stay home that day. I left the house early and planned on driving aimlessly down roads I had never been on before and return home near dinner time or even later.
So I find myself somewhere east and possibly south of Pittsburgh PA. And I see a sign directing me toward the Allegheny National Cemetery. Now here i am just before Veterans Day, out mourning my wife, and I see this sign directing me to my Brothers.
Providence? I follow the signs another 4 miles through the winding hills and come up to the gate.

there is a sign....... no firearms beyond this point..... Who the hell are you going to shoot in a cemetery?

I go to the NAS at Ft. Worth and buy at the Four Seasons. I saw a guy buy a gun and he had to sign a paper too. I was going to buy some ammo and was told they would call the gate guards and give them info about me and the purchase. Then I was to drive straight to the gate within 10 minutes and the gate guards would inventory my ammo. I told them to forget it and I would go to Walmart.
It's been 40 years since I lived on an Army base but then everyone had weapons and we would hunt on post and go to the firing range. Them were the good ol' days I guess.

I am sad you are hurting SFC Ollie but I am glad to see you posting.

Take good care of yourself. You deserve it.

The Second Amendment is not being ‘stepped on’ – ‘again’ or otherwise.

There is no right to keep and carry any weapon, in any manner, for whatever purpose, everywhere.

The prohibition of firearms in the cemetery is pursuant to Veterans Administration policy:

“VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.”

Allegheny Cemetery Soldiers' Lot - National Cemetery Administration

Given the fact the Supreme Court has never invalidated this regulation as being in violation of the Second Amendment, no Second Amendment rights have been ‘infringed.’

The Second Amendment is not being ‘stepped on’ – ‘again’ or otherwise.

There is no right to keep and carry any weapon, in any manner, for whatever purpose, everywhere.

The prohibition of firearms in the cemetery is pursuant to Veterans Administration policy:

“VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.”

Allegheny Cemetery Soldiers' Lot - National Cemetery Administration

Given the fact the Supreme Court has never invalidated this regulation as being in violation of the Second Amendment, no Second Amendment rights have been ‘infringed.’

It requires some immediate revision using common sense... Something that is difficult for some to grasp.....

Forum List

Back