280 People Missing in Michael

280 unaccounted for in Hurricane Michael as FEMA warns 'people do not live to tell the tale' of storm surges

500,000 were given mandatory orders to evacuate, over 300,000 stayed. 2 are dead, 280 missing. One man who stayed said several times after seeing terrible things, he wish he'd have evacuated.

"3 hours ago"
02_HurricaneMichaelPhotos.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

Prayers up.
Trumps too busy to worry about this. He has to listen to his praises from K. west in the oval office.
From what I read, he may have visited there yesterday in a flyover to avoid public scrutiny. Sorry to burst your bubble.If they had announced it, the yammering would be merciless, and you know it best.

It's simple to me on why...........the craftsmen of older homes was simply better at the trade and took time to add in a few old methods to building that made them rock solid homes.......

I agree with that! There is no comparison between old and new houses and construction in general!

and yes.... 95% of today's houses in my opinion are like matchstick houses.

With 155 winds, that is basically a cat 5. A hurricane will tend to blow up in that soup known as the Gulf. Hurricane Charley in 2004 in less than 24 hours went from a cat 1 to a cat 4 and it hit Punta Gorda. Now, you can tap a keg and have a little party to a cat 1 hurricane. It will get a little scary. Power will go out, but nothing really to worry about. Unless, you are on the coast as high tide is rolling in.

However, you want NOTHING to do with a cat 5 or a cat 4. You want to get the hell out. Go where? Anywhere. That is where.

Those people that choose ride out? The only thing that I hope they do as a courtesy to others is have their ids on them at all times. That way, when they recover their bloated dead bodies, they can quickly identity who they are.

Now, watch this whole video of what a 4 will do, just in case you ever decided you wanted to chance it in that crap.

Was just thinking.... Why don't they build concrete camera bunkers on various high risk beaches in order to record the hurricanes coming in to shore ?? The bunkers could have automation where camera's are mounted on mounts that will spin 360° for a front view and rear view of the action as it comes in and goes by.

States could adopt a design that might be agreed upon for all states involved to use.

Watching these videos, you always get the citizens Shakey camera hand along with the debris blocking the lens etc.

They could be built in an elevated way, and possibly could be manned if built right.

It's simple to me on why...........the craftsmen of older homes was simply better at the trade and took time to add in a few old methods to building that made them rock solid homes.......

I agree with that! There is no comparison between old and new houses and construction in general!

Profits first right ? It's the new American way you know.

I have nothing against the builders trying to maximize profit..........but I believe a better builder will do the simple things to make a home stronger. Craftsmanship being the word of the day and quality...............Just because it looks nice after being built doesn't mean it was built right.

I really think let in bracing would do a world of good for home construction and believe it is major reason wall blow out today. I believe they make metal brackets that do the same thing that used to be done with wood, but the wood way just require some simple cuts to put in........If you can use a tape measure, use a speed square, and make 2 45 degree cuts you can make it very quickly and easily.

I have nothing against the builders trying to maximize profit..........but I believe a better builder will do the simple things to make a home stronger. Craftsmanship being the word of the day and quality...............Just because it looks nice after being built doesn't mean it was built right.

I really think let in bracing would do a world of good for home construction and believe it is major reason wall blow out today. I believe they make metal brackets that do the same thing that used to be done with wood, but the wood way just require some simple cuts to put in........If you can use a tape measure, use a speed square, and make 2 45 degree cuts you can make it very quickly and easily.

It all comes down to codes enforcement, but when that becomes corrupt and/or politically motivated etc, then we see the idiocy that we see, and much worse is yet all the hidden things that we can't see until it's to late.

How Rick Scott's regulations rollback led to today's building boom

https://www.architectmagazine.com/p...esilient-design-still-get-a-mixed-reception_o

This summer, as Florida neared the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, Gov. Rick Scott signed House Bill 1021: Construction into law, which drops the requirement that the Florida Building Commission update the state code every three years in conjunction with the regular updates to the International Codes and the National Electrical Code. Critics of the bill, which include the AIA, AIA Florida, FLASH, and the Building Officials Association of Florida, lamented that it would ultimately erase the progress that the state has made in creating one of the nation’s most robust building codes. “We continue to believe in I-Codes and don’t want to move away from them,” says Vicki Long, Hon. AIA, executive vice president of AIA Florida.

Additionally, in August President Trump issued an executive order that revoked the federal flood risk management standard, a directive issued through a 2015 executive order made by President Obama and based on recommendations from Obama’s State, Local and Tribal Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience. FEMA had not yet published a final rule on the directive, but the standard would have required federally funded structures to account for future changes in flood elevation by taking one of three approaches: using the best available climate science; building 2 feet or 3 feet above the 100-year flood elevation for standard projects or critical buildings, respectively; or to build to the 500-year flood elevation.

As its rationale, the Trump Administration cited reduced costs and lead times for approving infrastructure projects. However, proponents of the federal flood risk management standard, including the International Code Council, AIA, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a number of insurance organizations, counter that when federally-funded projects fail to account for climate change, they ultimately cost taxpayers more when disaster does hit.

How Rick Scott's regulations rollback led to today's building boom

https://www.architectmagazine.com/p...esilient-design-still-get-a-mixed-reception_o

This summer, as Florida neared the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, Gov. Rick Scott signed House Bill 1021: Construction into law, which drops the requirement that the Florida Building Commission update the state code every three years in conjunction with the regular updates to the International Codes and the National Electrical Code. Critics of the bill, which include the AIA, AIA Florida, FLASH, and the Building Officials Association of Florida, lamented that it would ultimately erase the progress that the state has made in creating one of the nation’s most robust building codes. “We continue to believe in I-Codes and don’t want to move away from them,” says Vicki Long, Hon. AIA, executive vice president of AIA Florida.

Additionally, in August President Trump issued an executive order that revoked the federal flood risk management standard, a directive issued through a 2015 executive order made by President Obama and based on recommendations from Obama’s State, Local and Tribal Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience. FEMA had not yet published a final rule on the directive, but the standard would have required federally funded structures to account for future changes in flood elevation by taking one of three approaches: using the best available climate science; building 2 feet or 3 feet above the 100-year flood elevation for standard projects or critical buildings, respectively; or to build to the 500-year flood elevation.

As its rationale, the Trump Administration cited reduced costs and lead times for approving infrastructure projects. However, proponents of the federal flood risk management standard, including the International Code Council, AIA, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a number of insurance organizations, counter that when federally-funded projects fail to account for climate change, they ultimately cost taxpayers more when disaster does hit.
Oh well...T's & P's.

According to Reuters, 29 are known to be dead in Hurricane Michael, and hundreds are still missing. Story here: Death Toll From Florida Hurricane at Least 29, Hundreds Missing - NTD.TV

I heard an earlier report that only one person was still missing.
There's a lot of confusion over these reports because some of the stories are dealing with only one area, county, city, and doesn't carry all the information in the 4 states that were negatively affected by Hurricane Michael. OTOH, you may be right on, and Reuters could be mistaken, or outdated information was picked up by an earlier story. Time will tell, I was just so concerned from the time I read the first article by an eyewitness to the devastation that Michael was doing. All we can do is pray that people who are not calling home will call mom and tell her not to worry. I used to trust the word Reuters. They seem to think hundreds of people still haven't been located by their loved ones.

According to Reuters, 29 are known to be dead in Hurricane Michael, and hundreds are still missing. Story here: Death Toll From Florida Hurricane at Least 29, Hundreds Missing - NTD.TV

I heard an earlier report that only one person was still missing.
There's a lot of confusion over these reports because some of the stories are dealing with only one area, county, city, and doesn't carry all the information in the 4 states that were negatively affected by Hurricane Michael. OTOH, you may be right on, and Reuters could be mistaken, or outdated information was picked up by an earlier story. Time will tell, I was just so concerned from the time I read the first article by an eyewitness to the devastation that Michael was doing. All we can do is pray that people who are not calling home will call mom and tell her not to worry. I used to trust the word Reuters. They seem to think hundreds of people still haven't been located by their loved ones.

So one site says 27 dead, one says 31 and a live report from twc this morning said they found 3 bodies yesterday while the reporter was there bringing the total to 36 and they are still searching. I imagine there won't be a concrete count for a while on the gulf coast.

Exactly Debbie. Getting accurate counts of injured or dead takes a while. Especially when there are a lot of houses that got flattened.

I think it's gonna take around another 2 weeks or so before the numbers become solid.

Forum List

Back