$27 Million to change NYC street signs

This is the kind of thing that should be eliminated by a line-item veto, but who is going to go through and pick out all the little million-here, million-there crap and risk endless bickering in Congress over, say a few million to change street signs? And would the USSC reverse its own decision that the line item veto is unconstitutional in the first place?

There's a good reason why there's not a line item veto: Separation of powers.

Hoe it works is that congress (power A) makes legislation, goes through the votes, moulds it to a final product. The president then says yea or nay. If there were a line item veto, what point would there be in separation of powers and a legislative process if one person could in the end sharpie out things he didn't like?

From the article:

So is this a Bush era regulation?

Yep, I guess so. According to the link provided by XOTOXI:

So it's a safety consideration, adopted by the Bush Administration, and locales are given until 2018 to implement. Yep, the NY Post article was quite a bit of spin.

Don't matter if it is/was Bush, Clinton, Obama, Reagan, or motherfucking Lincoln.... it's still ridiculous

So the government should get out of the business of managing and regulating standards? Brilliant. Let everyone decide what voltage things ought to be, or what Cobol ought to be, or what an ounce is.

My dealer already has a strange idea of what an ounce is.

Still waiting for that explanation regarding applicability of Article 1 Section 8 of The Constitution.

:eusa_whistle:

Setting national standards under the weights and measures clause is pretty clear, and has been accepted since our inception. With the commerce clause, it's clear that the feds do have authority to set standards. 110v AC is a federal standard. Do you want that to go away? How about the federal standard for common gauge railroad tracks?

You'll have a hard time arguing that the federal government does not have the constitutional authority to set standards on things as common as road signs.

How does a street sign fall under Weights & Measures?

Having standard pounds, ounces, inches is important for interstate trade so that one can price a unit of a commodity and such. A street sign bears absolutely no relationship to standards required for commerce.

Weights & Measure in this context means if there is one standard in one part of the country, that standard should be applied throughout. That includes license plates, driver licenses, road signs, and street signs.

I guess it could be argued that your eyes should be able to make out sign lettering from 100 feet away (measurement) in both New York and Hawaii, and the most effective way to ensure that happens is to make the letters the exact same size, font, and color.

Did you ever wonder why a stop sign in Seattle looks exactly the same as a stop sign in Miami? If it saves a few lives, why not have the lettering on street names follow that standard?

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. \

Wow ,I never read the Constitution that way .
I always saw it as handcuffs on the Government , not as the invisible hand of universal compliance and uniformity.

Article 1 section 8:

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

When was the last time the congress coined money or regulated the value thereof ?
Seems like a waste of money we have to borrow from China to do right now .

Weights & Measure in this context means if there is one standard in one part of the country, that standard should be applied throughout. That includes license plates, driver licenses, road signs, and street signs.

I wish that all of the license plates had the same fonts.

Virginia's license plate font bugs the everliving shit out of me.

Well, I don't think the fonts on license plates are a life-threatening issue...

We have the Most Vanity Plates of any State:

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:License Plates

This is under ONE of those Links:

10th Mountain Division

Carbon Fund

Pioneer

Air Force Commemorative

Columbine

Raptor

Alive at 25

Donate Life

Share the Road