26%

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation. That begs the question, “From where do the latter think the U.S. achieved its independence?” Among the countries mentioned are France, China, Japan, Mexico, and Spain.

7/2: Don

Also 26% don't know why we celebrate the 4th of July.

There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation. That begs the question, “From where do the latter think the U.S. achieved its independence?” Among the countries mentioned are France, China, Japan, Mexico, and Spain.

Interesting. No mention of Canada.

Shhh, don't tell Toro they didn't conquer us!

What the hell do those 26% think all that noise is about on the 4th? Do they ever turn to someone and ask "Hey, what's all the fuckin noise about?"

Shhh, don't tell Toro they didn't conquer us!

I think that's scheduled for next year. I'll check my calender.

Funny story... one July 4th I invited a few Brit friends around to help us celebrate.... one of them actually asked why the Brits don't celebrate. I explained why we celebrate and she was not aware that the US and UK were ever connected in any way. I still laugh about it.

But as long as they get a medal for participating, and are't made to feel bad for being wrong, that's all that matters.

But as long as they get a medal for participating, and are't made to feel bad for being wrong, that's all that matters.

Um...well, just the fact that we celebrate it means we were sorta keeping score, doesn't it? But I thought keeping score is now outlawed by the PC Police?

Um...well, just the fact that we celebrate it means we were sorta keeping score, doesn't it? But I thought keeping score is now outlawed by the PC Police?
Keeping score means someone wins and someone loses.

Remember, there are no losers in life. There are only people who don't know we declared our independence from England.

Worst group were the those under 30. Which might also go to explain some of the other statistics.

The under 30s were at 60% Very scary for the future

They probably think that Canada is part of the US.

I'm dubious that this poll is valid.

No mention of who was polled,under what conditions or even who conducted the poll?

Forum List

Back