26 year old children

I fail to see how people are against allowing young adults to stay on their parents plan until they are 26. Some young adults continue thier education, some may have jobs that to not offer health insurance benefits, some may be unemployeed, or may not be in a situation were they can afford to pay for insurance. Its not like its free. The parents have to pay for it and presumably the parents would pass the added cost down to the their son/daughter (i know my mother would make me reimburse her for the added expense).

I have my health insurance through one of my employers however this at the very least it provides me with another potential option until I turn 26. I fail to see how this is a bad thing for me and my peers.

Unintended consequences. It may be a great thing for you and for your peers, but for your parents' employer, it's going to cost a bundle. Do they have a choice?

I hope they don't get an exemption. It sounds like a number of these places are simply running a scam:

The request comes amid continued scrutiny of student health plans — including an ongoing investigation by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who said in April that some of the plans leave students "at risk while providing massive profits for insurance companies."

His investigation found that policies offered to New York students were inexpensive, ranging from as little as $100 a school year to more than $2,500. But the benefits also vary widely, with some capping annual coverage at $25,000 a year or setting per-illness caps as low as $700.

"Buying these kinds of low-quality products with low premiums enables colleges" to keep down students' costs. "But the problem is the protection provided students under the plans isn't sufficient," says Mark Rukavina of the Access Project, an advocacy group in Boston that has studied student health plans. "If you are a student who needs care, given the caps on benefits, you are in trouble."

More than half of colleges nationwide offer student insurance plans, according to a March 2008 study by the Government Accountability Office. While 80 percent of college students were insured, often through their parents' coverage, only 7 percent bought their own policies or purchased one of the school-based plans, according to the GAO.

The relatively small percent of kids who don't stay on their parents' plan or qualify for public assistance would be better off buying one of the catastrophic plans for people under 30 than buying plans from these hucksters (a $700 cap per incident? :eusa_eh: ).

Here-today-gone-tomorrow health insurance scams are already beginning nationwide. People need to be verrrrrrrrry careful when signing on to even some of those advertised as inexpensive coverage on television.

Will catastrophic plans still be offered?

Most policies do not have dependent maternity coverage. And they are not required to under this bill. $700 would be a bargain to have a baby.

I'm going to check the rates, but I believe to add a child to a single plan here in NJ costs about $5000. Not even close to what modbert is paying.

What college student could afford premiums for catastrophic coverage in the first place unless they have wealthy parents who will pay for it?

Ok - I think we've established that adult children MAY stay on their parent's insurance plan, if need be. However, if a parent does not want to continue paying premiums and deductibles for their grown ass children, can they kick them off? What if they have no money? Will the govt then pay their premiums and deductibles? Will college kids be eligible for govt cheese? Anyone know?

Lol, I am from the government and I am here with a rescue plan to help you stay impotent, so that I may govern your ass at your neighbor's expense.

Most policies do not have dependent maternity coverage. And they are not required to under this bill. $700 would be a bargain to have a baby.

I'm going to check the rates, but I believe to add a child to a single plan here in NJ costs about $5000. Not even close to what modbert is paying.

What college student could afford premiums for catastrophic coverage in the first place unless they have wealthy parents who will pay for it?

That's my question maggie, and I was hoping greenbeard knew the answer. Most colleges require the students to be insured. If the colleges can no longer offer these low cost plans, parents are going to have to pay. And what I can't seem to get an answer to (because no one probably knows yet) is if these new plans will be based on the student's income (zero?) or the parents? For people who are paying for their own insurance, this will add significantly to the cost of college which is already out of control.

That's my question maggie, and I was hoping greenbeard knew the answer. Most colleges require the students to be insured. If the colleges can no longer offer these low cost plans, parents are going to have to pay. And what I can't seem to get an answer to (because no one probably knows yet) is if these new plans will be based on the student's income (zero?) or the parents? For people who are paying for their own insurance, this will add significantly to the cost of college which is already out of control.

I can't believe colleges require catastrophic insurance. What they might require is liability insurance against any damage claims while a student is on campus. Why would college regents even care about a student's health unless the school was the cause of some dreaded virus or something which would be an unforeseen circumstance probably covered by their own insurance?

I don't know why but many do. My son has attended two schools and they both required proof of health insurance.

Oh and some policies are only good for the state in which you live. I wonder if that's going to change. So many questions....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back