26 year old children

I'm not getting your point. You're always going to be someone's kid. I could be 30 but I'll still be someone's son. I don't see where you're going with this.

my mumma and daddda is dead, who's gonna pay my way??

My guess is you already know all the angles to have the gubmit pay all your bills, feed and house you, plus keep you alive. Shit. Now if you'd only take advantage of some of their free education grants.

You just accused me of being a democrat you bitch.

You just accused me of being a democrat you bitch.

Don't you know? They just passed a new law in the Healthcare bill, anyone who's on Social Security is automatically voting Democrat in all elections. A letter from Barack Obama himself is in the mail thanking you for your vote. :cool:

Given a choice, I imagine they'd rather have a place to sleep. Mandatory shelter til 26 coming soon?

I think it's disgraceful that in the so called greatest country on earth, we have homeless people including people who want to work and can't find it, veterans, and children.

I'd be carefull about telling people an associates degree is anywhere near a 4 yr degree. I know it's not in business. Top fortune 500 companies woudn't even interview someone with a Jr College degree.

What makes you think every college grad wants to go to work for a Fortune 500 company? If a company needs certain expertise, they'll set aside their preferences based on legend and select the best person for the job. I've known Ivy League grads who couldn't spell enjuneer--how did they expect to become one?

Given a choice, I imagine they'd rather have a place to sleep. Mandatory shelter til 26 coming soon?

I think it's disgraceful that in the so called greatest country on earth, we have homeless people including people who want to work and can't find it, veterans, and children.

Welcome to the Obama-nation.

Are you giving up your spare bedroom to a homeless man? :eusa_whistle:

Modbert says his school has insurance. Will this be different under Obamacare?

I don't think so. "Obamacare" is already law. Every fall semester, the college automatically enrolls you into their health care plan. You have to a certain date to waive out of the plan. I did so the day I got my bill in the mail.

It costs $644 a semester, so $1,288 a school year.

Take note that to qualify you need to be a full-time student and taking at least 12 credits for that semester. There is a different plan for part-time students.

My daughter's school has the same thing, I was under the impression that it is common for colleges to do this. Hers is $140 per year, as far as I can tell. I don't know what the coverage is because we just opt out of it (she's covered under our insurance) and I've never looked into what they provide, but the form says the coverage is limited. Why such a big difference in cost between your school and my daughters? Public vs. private school? :confused:

Last edited:
Modbert - I'll have to inquire about this because my son just transferred. But I'm almost certain that at his old school he had to provide proof of insurance.

We will pay cover him as long as I am employed and he is in school. But this question isn't just about us. What about people who pay their own insurance? Do college plans consider parents' income or the students? This is a an important question for folks who are paying out the wazoo for school.

We had to waive the school's insurance and also provide them with our insurance carrier and the policy number. We also have to send our insurance company proof that she is a full time college student by having the school fill out a form with her enrollment status and stamp it with the school's seal/signature. I just called the insurance company yesterday to double check about this form, due to Obamacare. They are dropping us having to fill out these forms in Jan (2011).

I don't know what they base their numbers on . . . student or parent's income. I know Modbert goes to a state school and the cost he listed for his school's insurance is waaay higher than my daughter's and she's in private school. I've no clue.

Last edited:
Thank zoom. I just have a feeling that those "low cost healthy people" plans they offer for college kids may go bye bye. I mentioned that we have agreed to pay our kids' educational expenses. However that does not include their rent, car, ins. and other living expenses. At some point, we expect them to grow up. I know - meanies. Lol

Modbert says his school has insurance. Will this be different under Obamacare?

I don't think so. "Obamacare" is already law. Every fall semester, the college automatically enrolls you into their health care plan. You have to a certain date to waive out of the plan. I did so the day I got my bill in the mail.

It costs $644 a semester, so $1,288 a school year.

Take note that to qualify you need to be a full-time student and taking at least 12 credits for that semester. There is a different plan for part-time students.

My daughter's school has the same thing, I was under the impression that it is common for colleges to do this. Hers is $140 per year, as far as I can tell. I don't know what the coverage is because we just opt out of it (she's covered under our insurance) and I've never looked into what they provide, but the form says the coverage is limited. Why such a big difference in cost between your school and my daughters? Public vs. private school? :confused:

I just looked up the premiums for the health insurance plan my alma mater (a private school) offers and it's $2,220 for the coming school year.

Thank zoom. I just have a feeling that those "low cost healthy people" plans they offer for college kids may go bye bye. I mentioned that we have agreed to pay our kids' educational expenses. However that does not include their rent, car, ins. and other living expenses. At some point, we expect them to grow up. I know - meanies. Lol

Catastrophic coverage plans specifically for people under the age of 30 are set up under the law so if your kids can't get group coverage through college and you don't want them on your coverage and they don't want to buy plans in the individual market with lower cost sharing requirements, they'll have that option.

We had to waive the school's insurance and also provide them with our insurance carrier and the policy number. We also have to send our insurance company proof that she is a full time college student by having the school fill out a form with her enrollment status and stamp it with the school's seal/signature. I just called the insurance company yesterday to double check about this form, due to Obamacare. They are dropping us having to fill out these forms in Jan (2011).

I don't know what they base their numbers on . . . student or parent's income. I know Modbert goes to a state school and the cost he listed for his school's insurance is waaay higher than my daughter's and she's in private school. I've no clue.

Exactly what I had to do, to be more specific.

I never really looked into the plan they offer for me because I just opt out. However, I assume it would have to do with the plan itself.

I never really looked into the plan they offer for me because I just opt out. However, I assume it would have to do with the plan itself.

For $140 I'm guessing my daughter's school's plan ain't much!

I guess they assume if you can afford the cost of a private school, you can afford insurance. Which obviously is not always the case though. Or what is hopefully the case, the school itself covers part of the bill.

I guess they assume if you can afford the cost of a private school, you can afford insurance. Which obviously is not always the case though.

That's my assumption too and yet . . . . we have to opt out of the school's insurance, rather than those without insurance having to opt in. Just one more form to fill out. Oy.

I'd be carefull about telling people an associates degree is anywhere near a 4 yr degree. I know it's not in business. Top fortune 500 companies woudn't even interview someone with a Jr College degree.

What makes you think every college grad wants to go to work for a Fortune 500 company? If a company needs certain expertise, they'll set aside their preferences based on legend and select the best person for the job. I've known Ivy League grads who couldn't spell enjuneer--how did they expect to become one?

You might want to look up the average salary for an associates vs a bachelors. It's way more for a bachelors.

Colleges and universities say that some rules in the new health law could keep them from offering low-cost, limited-benefit student insurance policies, and they’re seeking federal authority to continue offering them.

Their request drew immediate fire from critics, however, who say that student health plans should be held to the same standards that other insurance is.

Among other things, the colleges want clarification that they won’t have to offer the policies to non-students.

Without a number of changes, it may be impossible to continue to offer student health plans, says a letter that the American Council on Education sent Aug. 12 to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, signed by 12 other trade associations that represent colleges.

Additionally, the colleges say that some provisions of the law don’t apply to their policies, including those that require insurers to spend at least 80 percent of their revenue on medical care and that bar them from setting annual coverage caps.

Thus, universities and colleges have a conundrum. They can either offer policies that are so expensive that only a few can afford to buy them, which creates all sorts of problems in managing a risk pool, or they can simply get out of the health-insurance business altogether. They won’t be the last to choose the latter.

Hot Air ObamaCare may end student health-care insurance at colleges

Would it be rude to say "told ya so"? :(

I hope they don't get an exemption. It sounds like a number of these places are simply running a scam:

The request comes amid continued scrutiny of student health plans — including an ongoing investigation by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who said in April that some of the plans leave students "at risk while providing massive profits for insurance companies."

His investigation found that policies offered to New York students were inexpensive, ranging from as little as $100 a school year to more than $2,500. But the benefits also vary widely, with some capping annual coverage at $25,000 a year or setting per-illness caps as low as $700.

"Buying these kinds of low-quality products with low premiums enables colleges" to keep down students' costs. "But the problem is the protection provided students under the plans isn't sufficient," says Mark Rukavina of the Access Project, an advocacy group in Boston that has studied student health plans. "If you are a student who needs care, given the caps on benefits, you are in trouble."

More than half of colleges nationwide offer student insurance plans, according to a March 2008 study by the Government Accountability Office. While 80 percent of college students were insured, often through their parents' coverage, only 7 percent bought their own policies or purchased one of the school-based plans, according to the GAO.

The relatively small percent of kids who don't stay on their parents' plan or qualify for public assistance would be better off buying one of the catastrophic plans for people under 30 than buying plans from these hucksters (a $700 cap per incident? :eusa_eh: ).

Will catastrophic plans still be offered?

Most policies do not have dependent maternity coverage. And they are not required to under this bill. $700 would be a bargain to have a baby.

I'm going to check the rates, but I believe to add a child to a single plan here in NJ costs about $5000. Not even close to what modbert is paying.

Will catastrophic plans still be offered?

For people under 30.

Most policies do not have dependent maternity coverage. And they are not required to under this bill. $700 would be a bargain to have a baby.

I support the concept of extending dependent coverage but allowing three generations on the same policy would start to get ridiculous. If you're ready to have a child, you're read to get off mom's insurance.

Forum List

Back