250 Iraqi Detainees Claim Torture By US Forces

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Is it true?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - More than 250 people once held in Iraqi prisons, including the notorious Abu Ghraib, have filed suit against a US military contractor for their alleged torture, attorneys said Tuesday.

The Center for Constitutional Rights said a lawsuit was filed in US federal court on Monday asking for millions of dollars in compensatory and punitive damages against CACI International Inc. of Arlington, Virginia.

The complaint, filed in the name 256 former detainees who were released without ever being charged with a crime, alleges that CACI interrogators who were sent to Iraqi prisons directed and engaged in torture between 2003-2004.

The lawsuit charges that the detainees were repeatedly beaten, sodomized, threatened with rape, kept naked in their cells, subjected to electric shock and attacked by unmuzzled dogs, among other humiliations.

The court action also names two CACI employees -- Stephen Stefanowski, knowns as Big Steve, and Daniel Johnson, known as DJ -- accusing them of participating in the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

The two contractors allegedly directed corporal Charles Graner, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for this role in the Abu Ghraib scandal, and sergeant Ivan Frederick, who is serving an eight-year jail term, according to the lawsuit.

"These corporate guys worked in a conspiracy with those military guys to torture people," Susan Burke, the lead attorney in the case, told AFP.

"And now the military have been held accountable, but the company guys and the company have not been," she said.

The complaint is the latest against CACI, which has faced lawsuits since 2004. A previous class-action lawsuit was rejected by a court.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071218...rytorturecourt

Keep your ears peeled. More to come on this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it true?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - More than 250 people once held in Iraqi prisons, including the notorious Abu Ghraib, have filed suit against a US military contractor for their alleged torture, attorneys said Tuesday.

The Center for Constitutional Rights said a lawsuit was filed in US federal court on Monday asking for millions of dollars in compensatory and punitive damages against CACI International Inc. of Arlington, Virginia.

The complaint, filed in the name 256 former detainees who were released without ever being charged with a crime, alleges that CACI interrogators who were sent to Iraqi prisons directed and engaged in torture between 2003-2004.

The lawsuit charges that the detainees were repeatedly beaten, sodomized, threatened with rape, kept naked in their cells, subjected to electric shock and attacked by unmuzzled dogs, among other humiliations.

The court action also names two CACI employees -- Stephen Stefanowski, knowns as Big Steve, and Daniel Johnson, known as DJ -- accusing them of participating in the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

The two contractors allegedly directed corporal Charles Graner, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for this role in the Abu Ghraib scandal, and sergeant Ivan Frederick, who is serving an eight-year jail term, according to the lawsuit.

"These corporate guys worked in a conspiracy with those military guys to torture people," Susan Burke, the lead attorney in the case, told AFP.

"And now the military have been held accountable, but the company guys and the company have not been," she said.

The complaint is the latest against CACI, which has faced lawsuits since 2004. A previous class-action lawsuit was rejected by a court.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071218...rytorturecourt

Keep your ears peeled. More to come on this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep ears peeled for what? What exactly would you expect people detained by US forces to accuse them of? They read the news and know EXACTLY what it takes to get the blind sheep willing to listen to anything they have to say bleeting in a collective frenzy.

Keep ears peeled for what? What exactly would you expect people detained by US forces to accuse them of? They read the news and know EXACTLY what it takes to get the blind sheep willing to listen to anything they have to say bleeting in a collective frenzy.

Actually, he questioned the truth of it.

When your government decides to put mercenaries in charge of prisons and won't disavow torture as a technique, issues like this are going to come up.

Last night Martians came and visited me and took me to their spaceship. They refused to let me phone home, and instead they water boarded me and made me poise naked for pictures. During the different torture sessions, I heard them say that they were working with NASA and Air force. They demanded that I have sex with a Martian goddess who looked like Julia Roberts. I was returned to my home before dawn and they tried to wipe away my memory of the encounter with a mind altering drug. For some unknown reason, the drug did not take. I thinking of bring a lawsuit against NASA and the Air force. What to you all think?

Last night Martians came and visited me and took me to their spaceship. They refused to let me phone home, and instead they water boarded me and made me poise naked for pictures. During the different torture sessions, I heard them say that they were working with NASA and Air force. They demanded that I have sex with a Martian goddess who looked like Julia Roberts. I was returned to my home before dawn and they tried to wipe away my memory of the encounter with a mind altering drug. For some unknown reason, the drug did not take. I thinking of bring a lawsuit against NASA and the Air force. What to you all think?

that your a babbling irrelevant fool

Actually, he questioned the truth of it.

When your government decides to put mercenaries in charge of prisons and won't disavow torture as a technique, issues like this are going to come up.

No sale. Our government DOES disavow torture as a technique. The problem only come when one attempts to define torture.

For instance, I consider it psychological torture by insulting my intelligence with years of harping from the left that no matter what technique is used, it will be considered torture as long as a Republican administration controls the White House.

And just WHO exactly are you referring to as "mercenaries"?

This is only the beginning. How many more law suits will be filed when people are finally released from all the secret prisons we are maintaining worldwide. And what about all the detainees that we have shipped to other countries who DO use torture to gain facts. Gee, we are beginning to sound like the old Soviet Union, huh?

I don't really blame bush for all of this. He is just a babbling face on TV. It is actually his associate DICK that has has allowed our country's standing worldwide to fall.

The great United States of America has now become just another country that no one trusts. Yes, another country that maintains secret prisons, is denying habeous corpus, and supports dictatorships all for the sake of protecting the "homeland."

This is only the beginning. How many more law suits will be filed when people are finally released from all the secret prisons we are maintaining worldwide. And what about all the detainees that we have shipped to other countries who DO use torture to gain facts. Gee, we are beginning to sound like the old Soviet Union, huh?

I don't really blame bush for all of this. He is just a babbling face on TV. It is actually his associate DICK that has has allowed our country's standing worldwide to fall.

The great United States of America has now become just another country that no one trusts. Yes, another country that maintains secret prisons, is denying habeous corpus, and supports dictatorships all for the sake of protecting the "homeland."

Is that supposed to be a legitimate question? What with the hysterical responses these people can get from the left making accusations of torture, the better question would be is which ones of them WON'T go about doing the usual using our own system against us for their own gain?

What's really pathetic are you sheep that allow our enemies to use you to their own end just because you can't see past your own political extremism.

THat is the obvious type of comment one could expect to come from you. Is it at all possible that the allegations are accurate?

An allegation is just that: an allegation. It, in no way, makes it true. Are you not aware that the Al-Qaeda manual says if a Muslim is ever detained by the United States, they are always to make claims of torture and inhuman treatment? Come on--you cannot be that gullible.

An allegation is just that: an allegation. It, in no way, makes it true. Are you not aware that the Al-Qaeda manual says if a Muslim is ever detained by the United States, they are always to make claims of torture and inhuman treatment? Come on--you cannot be that gullible.

allegations are just that...... especially if you destroy the evidence

S'cuse me, MasterChief, but you are latching onto the possibly two dumbest posters on the entire internet.

Eots is the resident conspiracy nut. So of course the evidence was destroyed.

Yeeepp,
And the moon is made of green cheese.

you really are intellectually chained aren't you...its like something a child would say

Justice Dept investigating destroyed CIA tapes | U.S. | Reuters... suspects that used techniques critics have denounced as torture. ... Hayden said in the letter the tapes were destroyed because they could pose a ...
www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0654798320071208 - 73k -

What's really pathetic are you sheep that allow our enemies to use you to their own end just because you can't see past your own political extremism.

You have been blindly staggering along behind bush for eight(8) years and you call me a sheep? Are you kidding? You have allowed this administration to basically gut personal freedoms listed in the Constitution and you call me a sheep.

Step away from the mirror for a moment, yea, way baaaaaaaack. Yes, that is sheep's wool on your back. It will take 2 or 3 administrations to repair the damage that bush and his thugs have caused.

No sale. Our government DOES disavow torture as a technique. The problem only come when one attempts to define torture.

For instance, I consider it psychological torture by insulting my intelligence with years of harping from the left that no matter what technique is used, it will be considered torture as long as a Republican administration controls the White House.

And just WHO exactly are you referring to as "mercenaries"?

I'd say it's a safe bet that if we prosecuted the Japanese for doing it, it's torture. If we wouldn't want it being done to our troops, it's torture.

And you know that isn't either fair or true. We supposedly have/had certain values as a country. It's painful to see that getting destroyed.

I heard someone say it beautifully the other day and I wish I could remember who it was, but the reality is there are reasons that people wanted to come here to be part of what was great about us for the past two hundred plus years. I hate to think we aren't those things anymore.

You have been blindly staggering along behind bush for eight(8) years and you call me a sheep? Are you kidding? You have allowed this administration to basically gut personal freedoms listed in the Constitution and you call me a sheep.

Step away from the mirror for a moment, yea, way baaaaaaaack. Yes, that is sheep's wool on your back. It will take 2 or 3 administrations to repair the damage that bush and his thugs have caused.

thats a a overly optimistic point of veiw..reality is what you will have next is the evil genius of billary with new decider ,.bush, god like powers...just wait until you get a taste of that

Sorry dude, you got the wrong guy. I don't blindly stagger behind anyone. Perhaps prior to making such ingnorant comments you should do a little research.

The fact that I consider Bush the lesser of two evils does not in fact mean I think Bush is the ideal President. I will point to the collective choices of both parties in this upcomming election to support THAT argument. Dumb, dumber and dumberer.

But you'll just blissfully go push the "D" button regardless the consequences to this nation simply because you're programmed to do so.

Forum List

Back