250 billiion to keep our foreign bases open?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
The U.S. Defense Department has real estate in 46 countries and American territories, adding up to a whopping 837 overseas locations. It manages roughly 1,300 square miles, a combined area considerably larger than Rhode Island. Throw in bases within the territories and 50 states and you’ve got Ohio.

Beyond massive complexes in Germany, Japan and South Korea, there are little-known holdings scattered around the planet: an old Dutch mine, a communications tower on Australia’s west coast and an army sniper range in Djibouti.

How much does overseeing this sprawling foreign footprint really cost? The exact cost of managing troops, bases, fleets and materiel overseas is difficult to determine. The think tank Foreign Policy in Focus estimates at least $250 billion.

US Military | Manas Air Base | Guantanamo Bay

The U.S. Defense Department has real estate in 46 countries and American territories, adding up to a whopping 837 overseas locations. It manages roughly 1,300 square miles, a combined area considerably larger than Rhode Island. Throw in bases within the territories and 50 states and you’ve got Ohio.

Beyond massive complexes in Germany, Japan and South Korea, there are little-known holdings scattered around the planet: an old Dutch mine, a communications tower on Australia’s west coast and an army sniper range in Djibouti.

How much does overseeing this sprawling foreign footprint really cost? The exact cost of managing troops, bases, fleets and materiel overseas is difficult to determine. The think tank Foreign Policy in Focus estimates at least $250 billion.

US Military | Manas Air Base | Guantanamo Bay

I agree this is one area the military really needs to cut back on. Not all can be closed, but we sure as hell don't need troops in Europe at the number we have them. Same with Japan. Most areas we should be fine with using the Navy as airfields and bases.

We have 837 overseas locations for our military. one or two is not a drop in the bucket.
Close 3/4 of them and save a couple of hundred billion a year.

I disagree to an extent. they may seem like nits and lice but they have a purpose.

Our footprint in Europe has diminished greatly. we used to have 360k men there, now? last I checked stratfor archives, last year we had roughly 75K total in all the EU countries.

we have approx. 375K of 1.5 million, overseas world wide.

Our footprint in japan is also diminishing along with Okinawa as we move the 3rd mar. div to Guam.

I agree we could whittle that down. We will.

The Afghan/Iraq thing requires massive offshore way-point sppt., tracing a combat meal from a food processor plant in Iowa to a Marines mouth in Afghan. take logistics, using places in between etc.

Only area where we need to maintain outposts are in Southeast Asia, to keep China from engulfing the region. Everything else is a waste of funds.

Only area where we need to maintain outposts are in Southeast Asia, to keep China from engulfing the region. Everything else is a waste of funds.

Vietnam did a pretty good job of fighting off China..when they invaded after the US left. Those people are really tough. I think they will do just fine without the US.

Vietnam did a pretty good job of fighting off China..when they invaded after the US left. Those people are really tough. I think they will do just fine without the US.
I'm talking about China attempting to control the trillions of dollars of trade passing through the South China Sea. We let them military control that passage, and they will have the world by the balls.

fpasouthchinasea.gif

Chinese Missiles Can Ravage U.S. Bases

Japan to send troops to South China Sea island

Australia, US To Discuss Joint Defense Cooperation

Already, we are in negotiations with Australia, to place a permanent US Army/Navy contingent in the Outback. Southeast Asia may very well be the location of World War III.

AUSTRALIA runs the risk of "martyrdom" in the case of any China-US conflict.

Last edited:
China will control most of the region thru economic means not war. We do not fight that with the military do we?

China will control most of the region thru economic means not war. We do not fight that with the military do we?
China is using its military to control the world economy, systematically choking major trading lanes, as well as encircling the entire Indian subcontinent. Once they control the world economy, the UN will be powerless to prevent their aggression...tis why Australia, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, and India are extremely nervous.

Furthermore, China has a rich history of invading its neighbors, when the opportunity presents itself. If we present the opportunity, they will seize it...hence why we must check their every move.

This is why Obama's Asia tour is so critical...and why Secretaries Clinton and Gates continue to wheel-and-deal across the region.

China is using its military to control the world economy, systematically choking major trading lanes, as well as encircling the entire Indian subcontinent. Once they control the world economy, the UN will be powerless to prevent their aggression...tis why Australia, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, and India are extremely nervous.

Furthermore, China has a rich history of invading its neighbors, when the opportunity presents itself. If we present the opportunity, they will seize it...hence why we must check their every move.

This is why Obama's Asia tour is so critical...and why Secretaries Clinton and Gates continue to wheel-and-deal across the region.

"Once they conntrol the world economy" So you agree?

We are in the era of economic warfare. Most just do not realize it yet.

I agree like the falling Roman Empire we can not afford to maintain our military outposts.

Really this is the natural readjustment after the rest of the world was destroyed by WWII not the fault of the baby boomers failing the greatest generation or whatever.

Personally I would have paid to maintain 100k men in Iraq my whole life as for Korea or Japan. Would be nice to be in India also but Afghanistan will do in a pinch lol.

I'm not sure, Eagle.

With the growing US demand for rubber vomit, christmas lights, and black sweaters with screaming skulls, it may be necessary for China to expand its sphere of influance.

"Once they control the world economy" So you agree?

We are in the era of economic warfare. Most just do not realize it yet.
It's bloody obvious to anyone who is paying close attention...China and America have become like two bunkmates intent upon killing eachother.

Each doesn't trust the other, each sleeps with a knife under the pillow, yet each must pretend to get along during the day.

I'm not sure, Eagle.

With the growing US demand for rubber vomit, christmas lights, and black sweaters with screaming skulls, it may be necessary for China to expand its sphere of influance.
:lol::lol::lol:

I agree...the situation is insane.

business controls things, as long as they benefit there will be no knife pulled.

who wanted this global economy thng anyway?

Yep what I have been saying for a decade or two.

OOps where did that "we are trading short term gains for long term pains" post go?

I guess I hit the quote buttone too slow.
:)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back