25-35,000 ft. Above the West

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
I shot these photos on the way to Vegas. Because of near perfect early morning conditions, the right side of the plane, a clean window and far enough in front of the wing, they are better than I have ever been able to get before. I used a Nikon D70 with only 6 megapixels and no polarizer. What an amazing country we have.

T.Boone's wind generators in west Texas.

TBoonesWindGenerators5916.jpg

New Mexico

NewMexicofrom35-000ft5921.jpg

South Eastern Grand Canyon

GrandCanyon5927.jpg

GrandCanyon5935.jpg

Lake Mead

LakeMead5943.jpg

Those wind generators aren't T Boone's.... He doesn't have any yet he just wants to have some. Or, he did until the bottom fell out of oil prices!

That picture you took is right near my abode!

Those wind generators aren't T Boone's.... He doesn't have any yet he just wants to have some. Or, he did until the bottom fell out of oil prices!

I've flown that trip many times and that was the first time I noticed the wind generators, I assumed they were new and Picken's. I have seen many part of wind generators heading up I-45 through the Houston area, I also figured he was responsible for them. Are those Green Mountain Energy's generators?

I've flown that trip many times and that was the first time I noticed the wind generators, I assumed they were new and Picken's. I have seen many part of wind generators heading up I-45 through the Houston area, I also figured he was responsible for them. Are those Green Mountain Energy's generators?

Are they in the Abilene area? Seems I remember some up that way .

I am not sure exactly where you were when you took that shot, great shot by the way. I have no idea who's those are but I know they're not T-Bone's.

By the way, he and other oilmen LOVE windfarms, they use a hell of alot of oil! Each turbine requires 2 barrels of oil twice a year for the gearbox, the transformer at the base of each one needs four barrels, changed every four years. Start multiplying that by millions of turbines and look at all the oil sales!

They also leak and sling this oil, great for the groundwater but, who's complaining? It's "GREEN ENERGY!"

Of course, I realize it's nuts but, as an inhabitant of a temperate rain forest, I look at all that land and wonder where all the trees are.

This truly is an amazing country.

Of course, I realize it's nuts but, as an inhabitant of a temperate rain forest, I look at all that land and wonder where all the trees are.

This truly is an amazing country.
Kind of what I was thinking! First time I flew to Vegas, all I could think about was there is now trees. When you come from the Evergreen State it is alittle wierd! Still beautiful just different!

I am not sure exactly where you were when you took that shot, great shot by the way. I have no idea who's those are but I know they're not T-Bone's.

By the way, he and other oilmen LOVE windfarms, they use a hell of alot of oil! Each turbine requires 2 barrels of oil twice a year for the gearbox, the transformer at the base of each one needs four barrels, changed every four years. Start multiplying that by millions of turbines and look at all the oil sales!

They also leak and sling this oil, great for the groundwater but, who's complaining? It's "GREEN ENERGY!"

They are also responsible for thousands of birds of prey deaths, got to drive the eco people nuts.

Earth Island Institute | Earth Island Journal

They are also responsible for thousands of birds of prey deaths, got to drive the eco people nuts.

Earth Island Institute | Earth Island Journal
Yeah but very few people know about the millions of barrels of OIL these things are gonna need when you get a million of them.

But then, too late suckers! Shoulda went nuclear for yer power needs!

I shot these photos on the way to Vegas. Because of near perfect early morning conditions, the right side of the plane, a clean window and far enough in front of the wing, they are better than I have ever been able to get before. I used a Nikon D70 with only 6 megapixels and no polarizer. What an amazing country we have.
These are some really great photos! Do you know what that large, black, thick layer or deposit is in the last one?

These are some really great photos! Do you know what that large, black, thick layer or deposit is in the last one?

Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised with how they came out. I have shot a lot out of the windows of airliners and none have come out this good except a few of Manhattan on September 7th, 2001. This was shot with a 4 megapixel Olympus, state of the art in 2001, cost 2 grand! It was very dark out but I was able to save the shot with Photoshop. The 737 in the shot is a Southwest flight heading up the Hudson River. The altitude and angle I was shooting at makes it appear to be heading straight at the WTC.

WTC32712.jpg

I don't know what that dark mountain is but it is huge, we were at about 15,000 feet at that point. It is near Lake Mead obviously but judging from the top surface and it's similarity to some of the areas in the other shots, it's not manmade. This area was all underwater at one time and a lot of it looks like ocean floor.

Last edited:

It's an old lava bed.

Forum List

Back