25/06 on hogs.

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
Mostly I shoot them with whatever is on hand. I even throwing rocks at them as well as try to run them down when I see them at the property. Sometimes I hunt them seriously. Yesterday was one of those days. Was going to use an.58 cal pedrosoli musket, but it was raining. So I borrowed a friends 25/06 shooting 117 grain reloads.very nice rifle he built, and it shoots like it looks, awesome. I was skeptical, but I did it anyway. Saw a hot walking between two feeders so I put the scope on it and shot it. I hit it on the left solidly and saw most on it's right. That 25/06 blew right threw. Seriously considering a set up like this. It was build on a thousand dollar budget and came in at $800.00 and change, with the scope.

Mostly I shoot them with whatever is on hand. I even throwing rocks at them as well as try to run them down when I see them at the property. Sometimes I hunt them seriously. Yesterday was one of those days. Was going to use an.58 cal pedrosoli musket, but it was raining. So I borrowed a friends 25/06 shooting 117 grain reloads.very nice rifle he built, and it shoots like it looks, awesome. I was skeptical, but I did it anyway. Saw a hot walking between two feeders so I put the scope on it and shot it. I hit it on the left solidly and saw most on it's right. That 25/06 blew right threw. Seriously considering a set up like this. It was build on a thousand dollar budget and came in at $800.00 and change, with the scope.
/----/ Do you eat those hogs? I have no idea if wild hogs make a good meal or if they are too tough.

/----/ Do you eat those hogs? I have no idea if wild hogs make a good meal or if they are too tough.
My uncle went wild hog shooting in Arizona a few months ago. He gave the whole pig to the dogs. I didnt get to try it but he said it was shit

@TNhartly too, you can and I do, but never big ones. The one I shot was a big one and a real stinker to. If you shoot one say, 100 pounds and under it should be good eating in my opinion. Shoats can be penned and raised into some nice pork if you can get them alive.

The one further caution, if you get your hand on the shoats, get then gone ASAP. They are cute little boogers.

Forum List

Back