Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
since the new season is about to start we need a thread for the best show on tv. predictions anyone?

Will they do a season 4 recap at the beginning of the season? I really want to watch it, but I've only seen the first couple seasons. I do know that Jack Bauer faked his own death at the end of the last season, correct?

I see they have a 24 video game coming out soon, I actually think that might be really good.

they might do a previously on 24..... bit but who knows. check www.fox.com/24 and you can read an hour by hour description of every episode in the series. also the a/e channel is now running 24 on mondays they run a 4 hour marathon starting at like 2 pm. their up to season 4 now i think they run it at other times as well. its also sydicatend on tv. i think the website for that is www.24weekends.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/12/apontv.24.ap/index.html

Jack's back for a fifth season of '24'
Fast-paced show starts new year Sunday

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jack Bauer has been through hell and it's starting to show.

Over the last four years -- one day at a time -- the superhero of Fox's "24" has saved humanity from terrorists, beaten confessions out of close friends, battled heroin addiction, discovered his murdered wife's body, and, last year, even faked his own death. All with little regard for himself.

But now, as the hit series starts up its fifth season with a two-night, four-part marathon (Sunday and Monday, 8 o'clock, EST) , the stress on Bauer, an agent for the fictional federal Counter-Terrorist Unit (CTU), is finally taking its toll.

"This time, something happens to Jack on a very personal level that pisses him off," says Bauer's alter-ego, star Kiefer Sutherland. "Because he's presumed dead, a lot of the boundaries he was restricted by -- by virtue of who he was working for -- simply don't exist now. And he's mad."

Until now, Sutherland has only subtly allowed the stress of selflessly saving the world to show on Bauer's boyish face. This season, however, besides being cranky, our clean-cut action hero is looking downright disheveled.

"The weight on people who are responsible for making decisions that affect so many lives, you can only imagine what that must be like -- putting 10 lives at risk to save 1000," the actor says.

Bauer has been in a constant fight against not only terrorists but often the bureaucracy of his own government.

"Sometimes bureaucracies are incompetent, just by virtue of the fact that they're bureaucracies," says co-executive producer Howard Gordon. "And, sometimes, Jack has to do things outside the law."

Gordon notes that while Bauer has a strong moral compass, "he's sort of politically agnostic. He has a humility and respect for the government on one hand, but a contempt for it on the other ... Jack's strength is in his ability to navigate these really narrow straits, keeping the greater good in mind, even while doing the most loathsome things."

Having faked Bauer's death at the end of last season, the new story line was a challenge for the writers. "We had kind of painted ourselves into a corner," grins Gordon.

Creating a "Jack-centric thriller this year puts him on a collision course with the people who thought he was dead," he explains.

That world includes his one-time mentor, Christopher Henderson (Peter Weller), who is introduced this season.

"Henderson schooled him on the finer points of counterterrorism," says Weller. "The backstory is ... Jack had investigated some CIA agents and CTU guys. While the other people were brought up on criminal charges, they could never prove anything with me. So for my part, he's my prot Deg De -- who turned me in when I was innocent."

Weller probably has a better understanding of Bauer's character than most. "My father was a colonel in the Army who flew President Johnson by helicopter in Texas. He was answerable only to the President," he says.

"This show really gets it," the actor continues, "about how the bureaucracy of the United States gets bogged down in minutia, and yet it can all be severed by one phone call from the C.O."

'Like one big movie'
In addition to Sutherland and Weller, "24" has been able to attract other top-notch talent from the feature-film world, including Sean Astin and JoBeth Williams, who both joined the cast this year.

"We shoot this like one big movie," explains co-executive producer Jon Cassar, one of two directors who helm the majority of the episodes. "The film actors are used to having one director throughout a project, which is what we essentially offer them here. They're quite at home."

Nonetheless, Astin, who plays Lynn McGill -- sent by the President to oversee the goings-on at CTU -- found the TV world required a little adjustment.

"The main challenge was memorizing all the techno-talk. There are five- or six-page scenes full of dialogue! 'Yeah, that's television,' I was told," he laughs.

Gordon notes that the series -- which plays out in real time, with each season covering 24 hours -- doesn't "go after big names just for their reputations. Our material is deceptively challenging to deliver (credibly), some of these outrageous twists and turns ... and it requires the right amount of seriousness, intelligence and emotion. And Kiefer, of course, sets the tone."

"Kiefer can bring all that backstory and pain in his character, and he does it without hitting you over the head with it," comments Weller. "And he's incredibly professional. On his days off, the guy comes in and reads off-camera lines for the other actors. Most guys take the bullion and are gone to the Bahamas!"

The series films at a former pencil factory in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley on a cavernous set that houses not only the impressive CTU headquarters but the beautiful West Coast retreat for the show's President Logan.

For all of Bauer's toughness, his humanity almost sneaked into one episode filmed recently.

"There's a running joke among fans that Jack never goes to the bathroom," Sutherland recalls. "We had a scene where I was running towards a sign pointing 'BATHROOM' to the left and 'OFFICES' to the right. I did a double-take and ran towards the bathroom! We sent it in to the network, as a joke reel. But, quite frankly, nobody wants to see Jack Bauer go to the bathroom."

So how many more years -- or days -- does Bauer still have in him?

"That'll be up to an audience when they start to feel that someone else should come in and do it," Sutherland says. "Personally, I'm hoping that's a long way off."

Lefty Wilbury said:
bumping for tonights season premire!
I can't wait! A & E was showing some reruns earlier, I wished I'd have known. From all the write-ups I've seen, this should be great!

I'm looking forward to it.

I know they're showing the first 4 hours this week, two tonight, but when are they showing the next 2?

And, is Sunday gonna be when it's on regularly? I really don't want to miss any of it!

Great, back on the roller coaster!

I hope the useless daughter stays off the show again this year, and I'm glad to see Chloe in the promos. Now if we can just get Milo back on the show. :cof:

Dan said:
I'm looking forward to it.

I know they're showing the first 4 hours this week, two tonight, but when are they showing the next 2?

And, is Sunday gonna be when it's on regularly? I really don't want to miss any of it!
Normal time: Mondays: 8pm CST. 7 EST.

good start to the show. palmer gone. michelle gone. i watched the season 5 prequel on the season 4 dvd so i had that in mind while watching the start of the new season. i'm thinking the guy that was with chole is in on the plot because in the prequel she said jack got found out in chicago,which takes place 12 months after his "death" the current season is 18 months later and six months after the prequel, because someone acessed her computer and found out she alter the medical files. jean smarts character looks like she'll have a big part in the new season which is good. can't wait till tommorow!

Lefty Wilbury said:
good start to the show. palmer gone. michelle gone. i watched the season 5 prequel on the season 4 dvd so i had that in mind while watching the start of the new season. i thinking the guy that was with chole is in on the plot because in the prequel she said jack got found out in chicago,which takes place 12 months after his "death" the current season is 18 months later and six months after the prequel, because someone acessed her computer and found out she alter the medical files. jean smarts character looks like she'll have a big part in the new season which is good. can't wait till tommorow!

Me too, I mean about Chloe's lover. Then there is the Logan 'aid'. He's in on it, whatever it is. :laugh: Can't wait for tomorrow. Logan's wife is going to hang him out to dry. :beer:

Great start. They weren't kidding when they said the first ten minutes would change everything.

I was a little upset to see David Palmer go, he was probably the most noble character on the show. I guess with him not being in office anymore, there was nothing they could do with him.

And, where's Jack's daughter? She was a CTU agent in season 4, right? They didn't make any explanations as to where she was, did they?

And, I've had a crush on the actress who plays Chloe since she was on Mr. Show back in, like '97 or '98, but she is looking really beautiful these days.

I was surprised by Jack killing the guy at the oil refinery. It kinda set a new tone to his character, he really has no authority to answer to now, except for himself. And I liked that line he said to Derek: "let's get one thing straight, the only reason you're not unconscious right now is because I don't want to carry you." Cool.

kim was an agent in season three. the reason the gave in season four for why she wasn't there if i remember right is that her and chase were off having a life so to speak. on the season 4 dvd they give a preview of the 24 ps2 game that is coming out and it takes place between season 2 and 3 and it answers the questions of why kim is working at ctu, how jack and chase became partners and how palmer survived and who was behind the assasination attempt at the end of season 2

Dan said:
And, I've had a crush on the actress who plays Chloe since she was on Mr. Show back in, like '97 or '98, but she is looking really beautiful these days.

she was great in road trip as the blind lady that has a run in with sean william scott. here are some screen captures form the season 5 prequel on the season 4 dvd the first two are of chloe and the last one is jack.

chloe 1
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=826723

chloe 2
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=826733

jack
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=826752

Oh, okay. Like I said, I've seen all of season 1, about half of season 2, and then odd episodes here and there of 3 & 4, so I can't really keep track of what's going on too well.

What do you think of the idea of a 24 movie? I guess it could be good, but would it still be in real-time? I don't know that that would work out. And, really, the show itself is pretty cinematic to begin with, I don't really understand the need for a movie, unless they're just wanting to have more violence and bad words.

Forum List

Back