24% Say Democrats Should Pass Health Care Reform Without GOP Votes

I think it would be great for the Dems to ignore all the polls. Indeedy. Pass it with reconciliation. Not only will it make Palin a non-issue, it may elect her to President. Something both I and the left wouldn't want. Inadvertent consequences.

How in the hell would this or anything else make Palin president?

If Democrats agree on a health care reform bill that is opposed by all Republicans in Congress, 24% of voters nationwide say the Democrats should pass that bill.

But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 58% believe the Democrats should change the bill to win support from "a reasonable number of Republicans." Nineteen percent (19%) are not sure what congressional Democrats should do.

Republican voters overwhelmingly think the bill should be changed, and so do 62% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

However, Democrats are more conflicted. Forty-one percent (41%) of those in the president’s party believe their legislators should pass the bill without any GOP votes, while 34% disagree and think the legislation should be changed to attract Republican support.

Most liberal voters (52%) say that Democrats should pass the legislation without the Republicans. Most moderates (55%) disagree.

In its question, Rasmussen Reports did not quantify what constitutes "a reasonable number" of Republican votes.

24% Say Democrats Should Pass Health Care Reform Without GOP Votes - Rasmussen Reports™

We need leadership, not poll driven decisions.

Fuck the GOP when it comes to health care. They fought every proposal to ever come down the pike including Medicare. Fuck 'em!

The GOP wants to allow insurance purchase across state lines: Fact.

Because it encourage competition and reduce costs to the consumer.

The GOP wants to place strict caps which effectively eliminate malpractice suits: Fact.

Do you know nothing about the healthcare industry? A rather large reason way doctors charge so much is to cover the ridiculous cost of mal practice insurance. There does need to be some reform in that area so that you can't sue someone for a billion dollars because the messed removing your hang nail.

Last edited:
Actually ninrod the REps had four and never enough of a majority in the senate to accomplish anything if the Dems chose to stonewall it as they did in the case of reformimg fannie and freddie which might just have headed off our current disaster.

The GOP wants to place strict caps which effectively eliminate malpractice suits: Fact.

Do you know nothing about the healthcare industry? A rather large reason way doctors charge so much is to cover the ridiculous cost of mal practice insurance. There does need to be some reform in that area so that you can't sue someone for a billion dollars because the messed removing your hang nail.
really?

I doubt that factoid can stand up to the light of scrutiny. Malpractice insurance and law suits against inept docs vary from state to state.

stop buying talking points without doing any real research.

I think it would be great for the Dems to ignore all the polls. Indeedy. Pass it with reconciliation. Not only will it make Palin a non-issue, it may elect her to President. Something both I and the left wouldn't want. Inadvertent consequences.

I think she means that if the democratics ignore the people and just rham this thru that the GOP could run a potted houseplant and it would likely beat the Ossiah come election time...

malpractice
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | Copyright
malpractice failure to provide professional services with the skill usually exhibited by responsible and careful members of the profession, resulting in injury, loss, or damage to the party contracting those services. Though accountants, lawyers, and other professionals can be charged with malpractice, the term is most commonly associated with medical professionals (e.g., doctors, nurses, hospital technicians.) Most medical malpractice suits are for negligence on the part of medical professionals in providing expected level of care. In recent decades, partially as a consequence of medical costs, there has been a considerable expansion of medical malpractice suits. This has led to vastly higher rates for malpractice insurance, and, some observers contend, a "defensive" approach to medicine in which medical personnel are unwilling to order any potentially risky procedures, and.../QUOTE]-malpractice Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about malpractice

hello?

Medical Malpractice News
Statement of AAJ President Ken Suggs on the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Hearing on Health Courts

June 22 Ken Suggs, President of the American Association for Justice (AAJ), issued the following statement. Read the statement

Senators Santorum and Frist Attack Victims of Medical Negligence to Garner Campaign Cash from Insurance Industry

June 1 Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) and Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tn.) are at it again, reprising the medical malpractice myths in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area today to fill their pockets with campaign contributions while ignoring mounting evidence that lawsuits intended to hold hospitals and nursing homes accountable for gross negligence have nothing to do with insurance premiums. Read the statement

New Study Shows Courts Not Clogged With Frivolous Medical Malpractice Lawsuits

May 11 New research published in the May 11 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine establishes that almost every medical malpractice suit filed in the United States has a meritorious basis and rejects claims that the civil justice system is inundated with frivolous lawsuits. Read the statement

AAJ: Senate Votes to Put Patients’ Rights Ahead of Big Insurance Company Profits

May 8 For the seventh time since 2002, the Senate on Monday rejected anti-patient legislation that would have capped awards for pain and suffering in medical malpractice cases at $250,000, resulting in demands that the upper chamber abandon the ill-conceived proposal and focus on issues of greater importance to Americans. Read the statement

AAJ Backgrounder: Frist Continues to Mislead the Public on Medical Malpractice

May 5 In what can only be described as a dazzling virtuoso performance, Sen. Bill Frist stood on the Senate floor Friday and uttered a stream of misleading and inaccurate statements so vast in behalf of medical malpractice legislation that the portraits of former Senate leaders displayed throughout the Capitol blushed in embarrassment. Read the statement

Conrad Burns Calls Montana Families Devastated by Medical Negligence “Frivolous”

May 4 Sen. Conrad Burns (R-MT) used the floor of the U.S. Senate to insult victims of medical malpractice on Thursday, asserting that the only people who could possibly be harmed by an ill-conceived measure to apply a one-size-fits-all cap on non-economic damages “are the folks who make a living just in frivolous lawsuits.” Read the statement

Background
AAJ strongly believes in patients' rights to hold the health care industry accountable when patients are recklessly maimed and killed by unsafe drugs, medical devices, or shoddy care. Lawsuits lead to safer drugs and a health care system that's accountable to the people. 98,000 people are killed every year by medical mistakes, yet sometimes the circumstances of the deaths are closely guarded secrets. We need open, mandatory reporting systems of medical errors to improve care and insurance reforms to prevent the insurance industry from price-gouging doctors./QUOTE]-ATLA Press Room : Health Care News

I think she means that if the democratics ignore the people and just rham this thru that the GOP could run a potted houseplant and it would likely beat the Ossiah come election time...

well ok. sorry, I just can't imagine Palin ever being able to win.

who could have imagined anyone as inexperienced as Obama wining 8 years ago?

When he gave that speech at the 2004 DNC, I thought 2016 or 2020. I see your point, but after quitting?

What does AAJ stand for? No one is saying that people shouldn't have the right of redress when someone thought negligence screws the pooch. Waht we are saying is that rewards that exceed the amount of money the victim would have earned in a lifetime by a factor of five is little bit rediculous.

What we are saying is that the defensive medicine now required to prevent lawsuits probably harms more people than all the lawsuits put together have ever helped if you don't count the lawyers.

It reduces costs because it guts coverage.

Except you're never been able to do to that.

When he gave that speech at the 2004 DNC, I thought 2016 or 2020. I see your point, but after quitting?
yeah, in 2016 or 2020 he would have had more experience

i know what you are saying, but if she should somehow win the GOP nomination(not with my vote in a primary/caucus) who else would you really vote for?

yeah, in 2016 or 2020 he would have had more experience

i know what you are saying, but if she should somehow win the GOP nomination(not with my vote in a primary/caucus) who else would you really vote for?

Geez. I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Probably not now, but a lot can happen between now and election time...

I'm still of the mind that we have yet to see the eventual GOP front runner make a move... Gonna be interesting no matter who it is...

I keep asking this and can't seem to get an answer. What is Obama waiting for? He doesn't need republican support. Could it be a few dems won't support it?

no. it's that he has this warped idea that he can play nice with schoolyard bullies and be "bi-partisan". I used to think so, too.

i think it's time he dissuades himself of that fallacy.

meadowmuffins....he said bi partisanship is over about his stimulus package....you're just making stuff up now...

I keep asking this and can't seem to get an answer. What is Obama waiting for? He doesn't need republican support. Could it be a few dems won't support it?

no. it's that he has this warped idea that he can play nice with schoolyard bullies and be "bi-partisan". I used to think so, too.

meadowmuffins....he said bi partisanship is over about his stimulus package....you're just making stuff up now...
he said it before then
when he entered the whitehouse the first thing he said to GOP leaders was "hey, i won"

he said it before then
when he entered the whitehouse the first thing he said to GOP leaders was "hey, i won"

Yeah, when they had the nerve to try to dictate terms to him. I'd be pissed off too if I won and some arrogant jackass with an entitlement mentality marches in starts making demands.

Forum List

Back