24% Say Democrats Should Pass Health Care Reform Without GOP Votes

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
If Democrats agree on a health care reform bill that is opposed by all Republicans in Congress, 24% of voters nationwide say the Democrats should pass that bill.

But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 58% believe the Democrats should change the bill to win support from "a reasonable number of Republicans." Nineteen percent (19%) are not sure what congressional Democrats should do.

Republican voters overwhelmingly think the bill should be changed, and so do 62% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

However, Democrats are more conflicted. Forty-one percent (41%) of those in the president’s party believe their legislators should pass the bill without any GOP votes, while 34% disagree and think the legislation should be changed to attract Republican support.

Most liberal voters (52%) say that Democrats should pass the legislation without the Republicans. Most moderates (55%) disagree.

In its question, Rasmussen Reports did not quantify what constitutes "a reasonable number" of Republican votes.

24% Say Democrats Should Pass Health Care Reform Without GOP Votes - Rasmussen Reports™

If Democrats agree on a health care reform bill that is opposed by all Republicans in Congress, 24% of voters nationwide say the Democrats should pass that bill.

But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 58% believe the Democrats should change the bill to win support from "a reasonable number of Republicans." Nineteen percent (19%) are not sure what congressional Democrats should do.

Republican voters overwhelmingly think the bill should be changed, and so do 62% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

However, Democrats are more conflicted. Forty-one percent (41%) of those in the president’s party believe their legislators should pass the bill without any GOP votes, while 34% disagree and think the legislation should be changed to attract Republican support.

Most liberal voters (52%) say that Democrats should pass the legislation without the Republicans. Most moderates (55%) disagree.

In its question, Rasmussen Reports did not quantify what constitutes "a reasonable number" of Republican votes.

24% Say Democrats Should Pass Health Care Reform Without GOP Votes - Rasmussen Reports™

liberal or moderate by what standard? self identified?

of coure they should pass it without the repubs.. if the repubs were interested, they'd have paticipated instead of playing let's disrupt the town hall games.

I keep asking this and can't seem to get an answer. What is Obama waiting for? He doesn't need republican support. Could it be a few dems won't support it?

I keep asking this and can't seem to get an answer. What is Obama waiting for? He doesn't need republican support. Could it be a few dems won't support it?

no. it's that he has this warped idea that he can play nice with schoolyard bullies and be "bi-partisan". I used to think so, too.

i think it's time he dissuades himself of that fallacy.

no. it's that he has this warped idea that he can play nice with schoolyard bullies and be "bi-partisan". I used to think so, too.

\The repubs are the bullies? :lol: :eusa_hand:

Those wimps?

see what you're talking about is what really irritates me about Obama. He thinks he can unite the country and that is just not going to happen.

see what you're talking about is what really irritates me about Obama. He thinks he can unite the country and that is just not going to happen.

i think it's a wonderful quality that he thinks he can do it after 8 years of divisiveness. And I was hopeful... but like i said, you can't play nice with people who don't want to play nice and who want you to "fail".

At that point, you have to find your gonads and do what needs to be done. IMO.

I think he's starting to come to that realization. At least I hope he is.

Those wimps?

most schoolyard bullies are. That's why, when you hit them in the face, they run away crying....

Those wimps?

most schoolyard bullies are. That's why, when you hit them in the face, they run away crying....

yeah see if Hillary had won, you would have your health care bill by now.

That's because the people who don't follow politics assume the GOP is operating in good faith. Grassley and other leading Republicans have said that even if all their demands are met, they'll still vote against the bill.

you mean like Bush tried for 8 years only to be stabbed in the back at every chance?

you mean like Bush tried for 8 years only to be stabbed in the back at every chance?

Yeah, because clearly he got stabbed in the back on NCLB, or Medicare Part D.
O wait, no, the only politicians who got screwed over on those deals were the ones dumb enough to take him at his word.

so why do you think Obama is trying to gain repub support?

so why do you think Obama is trying to gain repub support?
i think its so he can blame them when it goes south
if he really thought it was so good he wouldnt even bother
Bush came in with a very divided country
the election was THAT close
he tried way too hard to appeasy the dems

O wait, no, the only politicians who got screwed over on those deals were the ones dumb enough to take him at his word.
NCLB was totally written by Ted Hennedy
the Medicare Part D was also a bipartisan bill
what the FUCK are you bitchin about

NCLB set out a bunch of stuff that was good in theory, but required funding. When it came to paying for it, Bush and the Republicans thumbed their nose.

Medicare Part D wasn't bipartisan in the least. Many of the provisions wanted by Democrats were so watered down to be useless, resulting in the GOP passing The Massive Insurance Company Handout on what was basically a party line vote. (204 for, 25 against on the GOP side in the House; 16 for, 189 against on the Democratic side; 49 for, 2 against among Senate Republicans; 12 for, 37 against among Senate Democrats).

NCLB set out a bunch of stuff that was good in theory, but required funding. When it came to paying for it, Bush and the Republicans thumbed their nose.

Medicare Part D wasn't bipartisan in the least. Many of the provisions wanted by Democrats were so watered down to be useless, resulting in the GOP passing The Massive Insurance Company Handout on what was basically a party line vote. (204 for, 25 against on the GOP side in the House; 16 for, 189 against on the Democratic side; 49 for, 2 against among Senate Republicans; 12 for, 37 against among Senate Democrats).
funding is set by congress
NCLB was written by teddy
and funding for it was passed by a dem controled senate

same for Medicare part D
you can not blame the administration for not funding when that is in the hands of congress

Forum List

Back