24 hour rep limit?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by strollingbones, Dec 24, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    4 in the am on christmas eve....high winds....witches dont like high winds lol..seriously i was in a tornado as a kid.....high winds scare me....plus them falling houses....so i am reading threads and highing the rep button and suddenly....you have given out too much rep in 24 hours...i think i have seen that before....i am sure if i searched the tos or the many threads i could find this answer...but (best blanche dubois voice) 'i depend on the kindess of strangers'

so how much rep is one allowed to give out in 24 hours? is it based on your rep power or something like that?

2. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    i mean come on ...i could be president but have limited rep to give out in 24 hours? if i get beyond president do i get more rep in those 24 hours?

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Set limit, believe it is 20. Plus you have to rep 8 times between repping the same person.

It was done because certain people were abusing the system.

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    thank you

5. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    How do ratings change? When I first joined the board I posted a couple hundred times and got to the 'start his own religion' thing. Then I was off the board for several months and by the time I got back I was 'Kwame Kilpatrick'. How does that work?

There used to be another measure as well, though I can't remember what it is. Anyone else remember, and what happened to it?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You can give out 20 rep's in a 24 hour period. That is not a 24 hour clock based on the clock. It's 24 hours from the time you give out your 20th rep. For instance, if you stay on top of that button and hand it out as fast as the system clears you, you will see the 24 hour limit banner after each 1 or 2 reps.

The current setting for repping the same individual again is 6. It was 8. It gets changed depending on user abuse. When there was no limit set, some users would rep each other all day long. Raising the limit minimizes such abuse.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The numbers to increase rep power were changed to make it take longer to go up. I don't know what it used to be, but it currently is set at 1 rep power for every 1000 points and every 1000 posts.

When it was adjusted, it cut most of our rep power in half. In acutality you did not lose any more nor less points by percentage than anyone else.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Bollocks! It's a frickin conspiracy! :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    One of the owners decided rep was too cheap, and decided to increase its value. I agreed with him. The numbers at the time were reaching the abusrd point. I couldn't rep someone without giving them over a thousand points. If Jillian, Grump or I repped you, the whole rest of the board could hate you and you'd STILL never see red squares.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    If you rep me after your first 24 limit is up you will automatically be granted a twelve hour limit the next time you go overboard wasting rep on these other posters.