24 hour rep limit?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
4 in the am on christmas eve....high winds....witches dont like high winds lol..seriously i was in a tornado as a kid.....high winds scare me....plus them falling houses....so i am reading threads and highing the rep button and suddenly....you have given out too much rep in 24 hours...i think i have seen that before....i am sure if i searched the tos or the many threads i could find this answer...but (best blanche dubois voice) 'i depend on the kindess of strangers'

so how much rep is one allowed to give out in 24 hours? is it based on your rep power or something like that?

i mean come on ...i could be president but have limited rep to give out in 24 hours? if i get beyond president do i get more rep in those 24 hours?

Set limit, believe it is 20. Plus you have to rep 8 times between repping the same person.

It was done because certain people were abusing the system.

How do ratings change? When I first joined the board I posted a couple hundred times and got to the 'start his own religion' thing. Then I was off the board for several months and by the time I got back I was 'Kwame Kilpatrick'. How does that work?

There used to be another measure as well, though I can't remember what it is. Anyone else remember, and what happened to it?

4 in the am on christmas eve....high winds....witches dont like high winds lol..seriously i was in a tornado as a kid.....high winds scare me....plus them falling houses....so i am reading threads and highing the rep button and suddenly....you have given out too much rep in 24 hours...i think i have seen that before....i am sure if i searched the tos or the many threads i could find this answer...but (best blanche dubois voice) 'i depend on the kindess of strangers'

so how much rep is one allowed to give out in 24 hours? is it based on your rep power or something like that?

You can give out 20 rep's in a 24 hour period. That is not a 24 hour clock based on the clock. It's 24 hours from the time you give out your 20th rep. For instance, if you stay on top of that button and hand it out as fast as the system clears you, you will see the 24 hour limit banner after each 1 or 2 reps.

The current setting for repping the same individual again is 6. It was 8. It gets changed depending on user abuse. When there was no limit set, some users would rep each other all day long. Raising the limit minimizes such abuse.

How do ratings change? When I first joined the board I posted a couple hundred times and got to the 'start his own religion' thing. Then I was off the board for several months and by the time I got back I was 'Kwame Kilpatrick'. How does that work?

There used to be another measure as well, though I can't remember what it is. Anyone else remember, and what happened to it?

The numbers to increase rep power were changed to make it take longer to go up. I don't know what it used to be, but it currently is set at 1 rep power for every 1000 points and every 1000 posts.

When it was adjusted, it cut most of our rep power in half. In acutality you did not lose any more nor less points by percentage than anyone else.

The numbers to increase rep power were changed to make it take longer to go up. I don't know what it used to be, but it currently is set at 1 rep power for every 1000 points and every 1000 posts.

When it was adjusted, it cut most of our rep power in half. In acutality you did not lose any more nor less points by percentage than anyone else.

Bollocks! It's a frickin conspiracy! :lol:

Bollocks! It's a frickin conspiracy! :lol:

One of the owners decided rep was too cheap, and decided to increase its value. I agreed with him. The numbers at the time were reaching the abusrd point. I couldn't rep someone without giving them over a thousand points. If Jillian, Grump or I repped you, the whole rest of the board could hate you and you'd STILL never see red squares.

If you rep me after your first 24 limit is up you will automatically be granted a twelve hour limit the next time you go overboard wasting rep on these other posters.

Who was abusing the system, if I may ask?

I'm not naming names. All you have to do is look around. The same people that used to abuse it, if they are still here, still do. They just can't do it as often.

There WAS a certain couple of individuals that repped each other quite a few times a day. Now it's at least minimized.

You can give out 20 rep's in a 24 hour period. That is not a 24 hour clock based on the clock. It's 24 hours from the time you give out your 20th rep. For instance, if you stay on top of that button and hand it out as fast as the system clears you, you will see the 24 hour limit banner after each 1 or 2 reps.

The current setting for repping the same individual again is 6. It was 8. It gets changed depending on user abuse. When there was no limit set, some users would rep each other all day long. Raising the limit minimizes such abuse.

So, even if I am stingy with my rep today, I still can't be generous with it tomorrow.
I guess I will quit being stingy with it.

P.S.
SB, you still owe me a rep for that time you ran out and couldn't rep me. :razz:

Two suggestions.

1. People should have both POS rep and NEG rep ratings.

2. And somebody with a big neg rep points should be granted super NEG rep abilities just as somebody with POS rep has super POS rep powers.

Now think about it before you completely dismiss this idea as goofy.

Sometimes you're defined by how much people cannot stand you as by how much people like you. I'm proud of the fact, for example, that some people cannot stand me. I'd be worried if they liked me, in fact.

We've got some fairly good posters here who other people cannot stand.

Their obnoxious posts generate a lot of ASCII.

They make us think.

They challenge us to refute their ideas.

If nothing else can be said about them positively, they make us look good by comparison.

They deserve credit for that.

And we deserve NEG credit for them not liking us, too.

Two suggestions.

1. People should have both POS rep and NEG rep ratings.

2. And somebody with a big neg rep points should be granted super NEG rep abilities just as somebody with POS rep has super POS rep powers.

Now think about it before you completely dismiss this idea as goofy.

Sometimes you're defined by how much people cannot stand you as by how much people like you. I'm proud of the fact, for example, that some people cannot stand me. I'd be worried if they liked me, in fact.

We've got some fairly good posters here who other people cannot stand.

Their obnoxious posts generate a lot of ASCII.

They make us think.

They challenge us to refute their ideas.

If nothing else can be said about them positively, they make us look good by comparison.

They deserve credit for that.

And we deserve NEG credit for them not liking us, too.

I was going to give you neg rep, but my 24 hours isn't up.

Forum List

Back