23 years later, Tiananmen Square

gxnelson

SuperWhoLock
May 13, 2011
Galifrey
By AUDREY WOZNIAK and GLORIA RIVIERA
BEIJING – Today marks the 23rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, but in China any mention of that day remains forbidden.
The Chinese government, which forbids any recognition of the massacre and the events leading up to it, has taken special measures in the last few days to further censor acknowledgement of the protests. Chinese micro-bloggers on the popular site Sina Weibo particularly felt the effects of censorship. Dissident posts were “harmonized” (removed) in minutes, profile pictures could not be changed, and the candle emoticon was removed.
The list of blocked words was extensive, including words, names and numbers that related to the incident from “never forget” to “tank” to “-ism.” On television, the BBC’s channel was blacked out during their segment on Tiananmen.
In the square on Sunday a small group of protesters were beaten and detained, Mao’s mausoleum was closed, and large groups of uniformed and plainclothes police monitored the area. Today, it was quiet save for slightly heightened police presence.

Tiananmen Square Quietly Remembered 23 Years Later

There is a great vid at the end of an on the day news report.

GL citizens of China.

Very successfull repression. I have a lot of sympathy for those fighting for human rights and more democracy in China, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

China is key to this nation's success.

But excuse me if I wanted to take a moment and remind people of the massacre that occurred that day. This isn't about race or about what a horrible place China is now (it isn't as bad as it was back then), but about remembering the countless students who died that day, and how horrible China's gov't was in the past.

Sorry if I felt like remembering the students slaughtered that day.

It is important to remember those events and alot of the people involved were thrown into prison without trial where they remain today. The Chinese are good at repression. If people thought more about that than their iPhones, we might be getting somewhere

A number of my students were there during all that. It was only after quite a long while that any of them trusted me enough to speak about it, and then only in private, in hushed tones while casting nervous glances around. Some of them lost good friends during the crackdown and they had no illusions about what it meant to keep their mouths shut about their own participation. One student had some photos he took at the time. He kept them taped to the bottom of his mattress and would only show them to me after I had known him for more than a year.

But excuse me if I wanted to take a moment and remind people of the massacre that occurred that day. This isn't about race or about what a horrible place China is now (it isn't as bad as it was back then), but about remembering the countless students who died that day, and how horrible China's gov't was in the past.

Nothing wrong with that.

But it's important to draw lessons from what happened. The Tiananmen revolt was a useless waste of lives. In the short run it only made things worse and in the long run it changed nothing. The students had no support in the country at large and were thus easily suppressed.

Nothing wrong with that.

But it's important to draw lessons from what happened. The Tiananmen revolt was a useless waste of lives. In the short run it only made things worse and in the long run it changed nothing. The students had no support in the country at large and were thus easily suppressed.

I keep forgetting sarcasm doesn't always translate on the internet. The post was in response to Dante, and the sorry's were sarcastic at best.

Nothing wrong with that.

I keep forgetting sarcasm doesn't always translate on the internet. The post was in response to Dante, and the sorry's were sarcastic at best.

I got your sarcasm.

My response was to what I perceived as your overly romanticized image of the protest.

By AUDREY WOZNIAK and GLORIA RIVIERA
BEIJING – Today marks the 23rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, but in China any mention of that day remains forbidden.
The Chinese government, which forbids any recognition of the massacre and the events leading up to it, has taken special measures in the last few days to further censor acknowledgement of the protests. Chinese micro-bloggers on the popular site Sina Weibo particularly felt the effects of censorship. Dissident posts were “harmonized” (removed) in minutes, profile pictures could not be changed, and the candle emoticon was removed.
The list of blocked words was extensive, including words, names and numbers that related to the incident from “never forget” to “tank” to “-ism.” On television, the BBC’s channel was blacked out during their segment on Tiananmen.
In the square on Sunday a small group of protesters were beaten and detained, Mao’s mausoleum was closed, and large groups of uniformed and plainclothes police monitored the area. Today, it was quiet save for slightly heightened police presence.

Tiananmen Square Quietly Remembered 23 Years Later

There is a great vid at the end of an on the day news report.

GL citizens of China.

To The Storm: The Odyssey of a Revolutionary Chinese Woman

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/To-The-Storm-Odyssey-Revolutionary/dp/0520060296]Amazon.com: To The Storm: The Odyssey of a Revolutionary Chinese Woman (9780520060296): Daiyun Yue, Carolyn Wakeman: Books[/ame]

is a great book written by a woman who lived through Bat shit Mao's bipolar revolutions and the damage they caused. It would be nice to see democracy come to China, but sadly, the most virulent strains of capitalism are already there. Yahoo and Google have been instrumental in identifying dissidents, and Yahoo helped the rulers in China to build it's Great Firewall. They weren't alone:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2UqKysJz6M&feature=related]Google Yahoo Cisco Microsoft accomplices of oppression in China (congressional committee hearing) - YouTube[/ame]

My art teacher was in Tiananmen Square when that went down. He talks about it quite often. The students wanted a confrontation, were itching for a fight and got more than they bargained for. He hid, then went to one of the guards and told them he wasn't part of the demonstration. They let him through and even let him call his girlfriend to tell her he was okay.

The students then in revolt really didn't have any support in the country. They were no different than our own OWS protesters, a bit cleaner perhaps.

New Topics

Forum List

Back