23% of business owners get no salary this year

23% of business owners get no salary this year.............

:raiseshand: That would be me.

In fact I spent my retirement savings to keep the company afloat for the last two years. At 57, I'm not sure I have time to rebuild, my husband turned 65 in April. ~~sigh~~

And let me guess.....this is all Obama's fault, right? And if so, please give us specifics on how Obama ruined your business and your retirement.

Well considering the cost of General Liablility Insurance tripled, not to mention the building industry has been stagnant for 2 years because no one will lend money for construction.

We also provide Health Insurance for our employees, we were paying 90% of their premium. We had to get a sub-par carrier and only pay 75% because we couldn't afford the old plan, it skyrocketed not long after Obamacare was shoved down our throats.

Yea I might say Obama's policies might have something to do with it.

But of course you'll say it's Bush's fault. :badgrin:

Small business costs are part of the general economy. obama's policies have destroyed everything, made everyone's lives harder. Small business is the first to suffer in general economic downturns.

The EPA put thousands of dry cleaners out of business with regulation of dry cleaning fluid. obama is ready to put more of them out of business with the very simple method of regulating hangars.

23% of business owners get no salary this year.............

:raiseshand: That would be me.

In fact I spent my retirement savings to keep the company afloat for the last two years. At 57, I'm not sure I have time to rebuild, my husband turned 65 in April. ~~sigh~~

And let me guess.....this is all Obama's fault, right? And if so, please give us specifics on how Obama ruined your business and your retirement.

Well considering the cost of General Liablility Insurance tripled, not to mention the building industry has been stagnant for 2 years because no one will lend money for construction.

We also provide Health Insurance for our employees, we were paying 90% of their premium. We had to get a sub-par carrier and only pay 75% because we couldn't afford the old plan, it skyrocketed not long after Obamacare was shoved down our throats.

What do you think will happen to the construction industry when the obama regulation kicks in that mandates all roofs be made solar panel ready? That's supposed to add thousands of dollars to new construction.

What do you think will happen to the construction industry when the obama regulation kicks in that mandates all roofs be made solar panel ready? That's supposed to add thousands of dollars to new construction.

It will cost a lot more to build any structure. Green and LEED projects have already increased building materials about 35% in the last two years. General Contractors are looking for cheaper pricing while the cost of raw materials increases on a monthly basis.

DeKalb County Georgia owes us for a project we completed two years ago. They admit there is nothing wrong with our work but some other trades had problems so they quit paying the General Contractor. So here we sit, unpaid.

Not to mention the number of General Contractors that have shut their doors owing us lots of $. We have no recourse and no way to collect those debts.

No one, knowing what obama is doing to companies like Gibson Guitar, could ask what obama has done to destroy businesses. If he hasn't destroyed it yet, it's only because he hasn't gotten around to it.

Sounds to me like you have or had a poor business plan....

You mean like when a state or local agency, city council or school fails, their poor business plans are rewarded with infusions of more taxpayer funds.

You speak in generalities....do you have a specific state of local agency, cit council or school you are referring to?

Generally speaking, a state local agency or school system cannot fail in the sense of a small business shutting up shop and not coming back. But, look at City of Detroit, State of California, or Washington DC schools in terms of the amount money they collect from taxpayers vs. what they are expected to deliver in return. Think these taxpayers would call their return a success or failure? When a small business owner executes a poor business plan with other people's money or his own money for that matter, most of the time he does not get a second chance with that business. If he does, he must use a different plan and if other people's money is involved, he must accept change and increased oversight and more accountability.

It will cost a lot more to build any structure. Green and LEED projects have already increased building materials about 35% in the last two years. General Contractors are looking for cheaper pricing while the cost of raw materials increases on a monthly basis.

DeKalb County Georgia owes us for a project we completed two years ago. They admit there is nothing wrong with our work but some other trades had problems so they quit paying the General Contractor. So here we sit, unpaid.

Not to mention the number of General Contractors that have shut their doors owing us lots of $. We have no recourse and no way to collect those debts.

Hahahahhaha. As is well known to people in the industry, building a GREEN or LEED certified facility adds only 2% or less to the total building costs. And long term, due to the GREEN aspects of the buildings, operating costs are reduced over the life of the facility versus a traditioanlly built building.

Hahahahhaha. As is well known to people in the industry, building a GREEN or LEED certified facility adds only 2% or less to the total building costs. And long term, due to the GREEN aspects of the buildings, operating costs are reduced over the life of the facility versus a traditioanlly built building.

What planet are you on?? They wish it only added 2%. Got proof of that 2%???

Are you gonna get my $ from DeKalb county?? How about reimbursing me for the $$$ lost from GCs that shut their doors.

Are you gonna get my $ from DeKalb county?? How about reimbursing me for the $$$ lost from GCs that shut their doors.

Hard Numbers
One of the most current and most referenced studies was performed in 2003 for California’s Sustainable Building Task Force, a group of more than 40 California state government agencies. The report, The Costs and Financial Benefits of Green Buildings, of which Kats is the lead author, examines existing data surrounding the costs and financial benefits of 33 LEED-certified projects in California as compared to conventional designs for those buildings.
Cost data in the report, the first of its kind to fully aggregate the costs and benefits of green buildings, focuses on 25 office buildings and eight school buildings with actual or projected dates of completion between 1995 and 2004. The projects were selected because “relatively solid cost data for both actual green design and conventional design was available for the same building” based on modeling and detailed cost estimates.
In the report, Kats notes that virtually no data for conventional buildings has been collected to determine what the building would cost as a green building. And, most green buildings do not have data on what the building would have cost as a conventional building.
The eight LEED Bronze buildings had an average cost premium of less than 1 percent. The eighteen Silver buildings averaged a 2.1-percent cost premium, while the six Gold buildings had an average premium of 1.8 percent. The single Platinum building was at 6.5 percent.
The report concludes that the average premium for all 33 studied green buildings is slightly less than 2 percent ($3 to $5 per square foot).
Another study, Costing Green: A Comprehensive Cost Database and Budgeting Methodology, July 2004, by Lisa Fay Matthiessen and Peter Morris of Davis Langdon, Santa Monica, CA, notes that the cost per square foot for buildings seeking basic LEED certification - not the Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum levels - falls into the existing range of costs for buildings of a similar program type. “The costs are relatively insignificant compared to the benefits that will be accrued by the occupants of the building,” Wille notes.
Kats agrees: “More and more buildings can be built at the LEED-certified level for little or no cost premium. You can easily get at least half-way to certified at a zero-cost premium.”

The True Costs of Building Green

As far as geting paid by the out of business GC? That is was a payment bond is for. Check into it.

Small business owners and entrepreneurs are at the bottom of the list when it comes to Obama and liberals. You should not be trying to be independently successful. Oh, you created jobs? Time for more regulations and increased liability and costs. As for the layoffs, you are just like evil corporations.

Main street and small business are the ultimate symbol for American Capitalism. Obama and his administration have been anything but pro capitalism.

They are? They received a payroll tax break from Obama.

well the trashing of business and the regulation. I mean "clean" energy is expensive as hell and most people cant afford it, Obamacare (some stuff has already been implemented, which is why states are suing now instead of 2014), same with gas, when Obama took over it was around $1.80,it hasnt been close to that almost his entire term, including now. And he doesnt nothing to help people as far as making it easier to conduct buisness, he just increases costs.

Please specifically explain your wild assertion "trashing of business and regulation". Clean energy has not even been implemented, nor have any costs been passed onto businesses. Please specifically state the increased costs on small business that Obamacare has caused. As far as gas prices, Obama has kept them under $4.00/gallon (national average) which is something his predecessor failed to do, and businesses didn't seem to be drastically hurt back then? What specifically do you want Obama to do to "make it easier to conduct business"?

Specifics? :badgrin: American Energy Roadblocks by the Obama Administration - House Committee on Natural Resources

well the trashing of business and the regulation. I mean "clean" energy is expensive as hell and most people cant afford it, Obamacare (some stuff has already been implemented, which is why states are suing now instead of 2014), same with gas, when Obama took over it was around $1.80,it hasnt been close to that almost his entire term, including now. And he doesnt nothing to help people as far as making it easier to conduct buisness, he just increases costs.

Please specifically explain your wild assertion "trashing of business and regulation". Clean energy has not even been implemented, nor have any costs been passed onto businesses. Please specifically state the increased costs on small business that Obamacare has caused. As far as gas prices, Obama has kept them under $4.00/gallon (national average) which is something his predecessor failed to do, and businesses didn't seem to be drastically hurt back then? What specifically do you want Obama to do to "make it easier to conduct business"?

Specifics? :badgrin: American Energy Roadblocks by the Obama Administration - House Committee on Natural Resources

You must be in sales. These are talking points. I asked for specifics.

Are you freaking serious?

The Varying Impact of Gas Prices - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Gas Prices Having A Ripple Effect in Americans

Obama Called High Gas Prices A Crisis in 2008; Now They're Called Progress - Investors.com

Are you freaking serious?

The Varying Impact of Gas Prices - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Gas Prices Having A Ripple Effect in Americans

Obama Called High Gas Prices A Crisis in 2008; Now They're Called Progress - Investors.com

There is no kind or form of evidence that liberals will accept. They reject it all, and the nation swirls around the drain even more.

Small business owners and entrepreneurs are at the bottom of the list when it comes to Obama and liberals. You should not be trying to be independently successful. Oh, you created jobs? Time for more regulations and increased liability and costs. As for the layoffs, you are just like evil corporations.

Main street and small business are the ultimate symbol for American Capitalism. Obama and his administration have been anything but pro capitalism.

Business owners didn't receive a payroll tax break. While the employees portion of FICA was reduced to 4.2% the employers portions remains 6.2%.

Hard Numbers
One of the most current and most referenced studies was performed in 2003 for California’s Sustainable Building Task Force, a group of more than 40 California state government agencies. The report, The Costs and Financial Benefits of Green Buildings, of which Kats is the lead author, examines existing data surrounding the costs and financial benefits of 33 LEED-certified projects in California as compared to conventional designs for those buildings.
Cost data in the report, the first of its kind to fully aggregate the costs and benefits of green buildings, focuses on 25 office buildings and eight school buildings with actual or projected dates of completion between 1995 and 2004. The projects were selected because “relatively solid cost data for both actual green design and conventional design was available for the same building” based on modeling and detailed cost estimates.
In the report, Kats notes that virtually no data for conventional buildings has been collected to determine what the building would cost as a green building. And, most green buildings do not have data on what the building would have cost as a conventional building.
The eight LEED Bronze buildings had an average cost premium of less than 1 percent. The eighteen Silver buildings averaged a 2.1-percent cost premium, while the six Gold buildings had an average premium of 1.8 percent. The single Platinum building was at 6.5 percent.
The report concludes that the average premium for all 33 studied green buildings is slightly less than 2 percent ($3 to $5 per square foot).
Another study, Costing Green: A Comprehensive Cost Database and Budgeting Methodology, July 2004, by Lisa Fay Matthiessen and Peter Morris of Davis Langdon, Santa Monica, CA, notes that the cost per square foot for buildings seeking basic LEED certification - not the Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum levels - falls into the existing range of costs for buildings of a similar program type. “The costs are relatively insignificant compared to the benefits that will be accrued by the occupants of the building,” Wille notes.
Kats agrees: “More and more buildings can be built at the LEED-certified level for little or no cost premium. You can easily get at least half-way to certified at a zero-cost premium.”

The True Costs of Building Green

As far as geting paid by the out of business GC? That is was a payment bond is for. Check into it.

This is from 2003, this is 2012.............building materials have increased significantly since 2003. Have you priced metals in the last couple of years?? You're full of sh*t on the 2%.

:bsflag: Small business owners did not receive a payroll tax break, the employees did but the employer is still paying the same.

You must be in sales. These are talking points. I asked for specifics.

Talking points my ass, anyone with a brain knows Barry Soetoro's actions speak for themselves. Do you deny Mr. Soetoro did those actions on the list I linked? The link is pretty specific.

Forum List

Back