22 Students Hospitalized After Falling Ill at H.S. Football Game

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
More than 20 people, mostly band members, were hospitalized Friday night after suddenly falling ill during a high school football game in southwest Houston on Friday night.

It was first believed they had been exposed to an unknown chemical, but fire officials said later they had found no trace of gases or chemical agents at the scene.

Austin and Yates high schools were playing at Barnett Stadium when, sometime around 9:00pm local time, students suddenly fell ill and hazmat teams and emergency crews were dispatched to the stadium, myFOXhouston reported.

The victims, mainly band members and dancers from Austin High, were reportedly suffering from nausea, vomiting and heart palpitations.

"The kids all ate at different places, some of them ate at different times ... but they did have something in their stomachs. At this point, it remains a little unclear what set it off,"

Read more: 22 Students Hospitalized After Falling Ill At Houston High School Football Game | Fox News

Wow. Scary. Any theories?

Perhaps they suddenly acquired some higher musical taste and their own marching band music made them sick?

It has to be an exposure issue (chemical rather than biological) for all of them to be hit at the same time. I'm sure the hazmat team will figure it out.

Thanks si. I hope so.
Upon more thought, I would imagine the stadium is outside, as HS football fields are. The bands usually sit together in the bleachers/stands. Maybe the home team school had just refinished the stands. But, I would imagine other non-band fans would be affected, too, if that were the case.

So, this may be some sort of school prank gone very wrong. Some sort of substance was planted in the stands where the band sits. That is probable.

Either way, I have confidence that the hazmat team will find out. If it is the latter, I hope the pranksters get in trouble. They need to learn that if they are planning a prank, they need to be safe.

Interesting situation, though.

Forum List

Back