22 month old prescribed Ritalin?

My kids' former daycare pushed for an ADHD diagnosis and medication for my then-3 1/2 year old daughter, they even tried to get child services involved. Two other chidlren, one her age and one younger but I'm not sure quite how old, at that daycare were already on Ritalin. They also claimed her twin brother was autistic because of a tactile sensitivity. I won easily and switched daycares - immediately. Believe me, it happens.

Damn, sounds like those people were ijits...

I wasn't so polite. :eusa_angel:

good for you!

And I think some parents, childcare providers, whatever just don't want to deal with the terrible twos. Or in older kids, what are really discipline (and sometimes neglect) issues. The magic pill is easier.

so let 'em eat prozac if they can't handle it

And if the child has an actual problem, find out what that spcific problem is and how to go about addressing it. A catch-all and a bunch of pills isn't always the answer. My son really does have a tactile sensitivity, and there really are ways to help him cope and become desensitized that have nothing to do with drugs or labels. It just takes a little extra time and patience. Call me old fashioned, but I think pills are sometimes but rarely the answer. Especially for very young kids.

And I think some parents, childcare providers, whatever just don't want to deal with the terrible twos. Or in older kids, what are really discipline (and sometimes neglect) issues. The magic pill is easier.

My son really does have a tactile sensitivity, and there really are ways to help him cope and become desensitized that have nothing to do with drugs or labels. It just takes a little extra time and patience.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I'd go insane if I couldn't beat my kids within an inch of their lives at least 3 times a day

(JOKING!)

And if the child has an actual problem, find out what that spcific problem is and how to go about addressing it. A catch-all and a bunch of pills isn't always the answer. My son really does have a tactile sensitivity, and there really are ways to help him cope and become desensitized that have nothing to do with drugs or labels. It just takes a little extra time and patience. Call me old fashioned, but I think pills are sometimes but rarely the answer. Especially for very young kids.

Sure catt, no problem with allowing for a little investigation. Thing is, how do you seperate the real specifics , from the manufactured ones?

Sure catt, no problem with allowing for a little investigation. Thing is, how do you seperate the real specifics , from the manufactured ones?

The only situation I can know for sure is my own, but in my case I looked at everything I could about normal development and behavior for the age group and compared it to both what was being reported and what I and other people close to them know about my kids. There was only one thing that was out of the ordinary, and even that is relatively common - it's just more pronounced in my son than a lot of other kids. So that ONE thing was worth checking into in my opinion. Common sense.

That's freaking crazy, and that doctor should be held accountable for such a dangerous diagnosis.

Too many people want to drug kids these days, be it parents, teachers or doctors, instead of using behavior modification to help them. It's gotten out of control!

Ritalin is contraindicated for anyone under the age of six. Either the doctor malpracted or the person might not be truthful.

the person might not be truthful

damn good point

My son was extremely active as a toddler and needed constant supervision. He could literarally climb every piece of furniture in my house. Now he's 16 and swims, jumps hurdles, and goes mountain climbing at summer camp..

Those daycare people need some re-edumucation.

My son was extremely active as a toddler and needed constant supervision. He could literarally climb every piece of furniture in my house. Now he's 16 and swims, jumps hurdles, and goes mountain climbing at summer camp..

So do parents who use day care------it's not a magic cure either

My kids' former daycare pushed for an ADHD diagnosis and medication for my then-3 1/2 year old daughter, they even tried to get child services involved. Two other chidlren, one her age and one younger but I'm not sure quite how old, at that daycare were already on Ritalin. They also claimed her twin brother was autistic because of a tactile sensitivity. I won easily and switched daycares - immediately. Believe me, it happens.

I am curious as to when someone who runs/works in a daycare acquires the ability and latitude to diagnose and treat disease.

That's some chutzpah right there. If I were you, I think I would have gone ballistic. If you want to be a pediatrician, then go to medical school and do residency like the rest of the profession. Otherwise, your bullshit diagnosis is worth jack and squat.

Lord.

Anyways, in regard to the OP. They might not have been happy with the care they got from the Dr., but they still received care from him and that means they have to pick up the bill.

If patients were able to avoid payment simply because they deemed their care was insufficient, then things would quickly elevate to stupidity. Quite frankly, my opinion very early into the game, is that there are many patients who are never going to be happy with their care and insist that they know more than the staff physicians.

Bad Drs. eventually "get theirs" via word of mouth. In the meantime, they utilized a service and they don't get to duck out on paying for it.

What they need to do is stop playing "Dr.".

A lot of parents who use it wouldn't if they had the choice. But when you have to work and so does everybody else you might leave them with, it's day care or welfare. Pick 'em.

Thank (insert deity of choice) we're past that stage now. :woohoo:

A lot of parents who use it wouldn't if they had the choice. But when you have to work and so does everybody else you might leave them with, it's day care or welfare. Pick 'em.

Not having a choice doesn't exclude them from being very careful who they leave they kids with.

Not having a choice doesn't exclude them from being very careful who they leave they kids with.

That's true. I'd actually heard good things about that place, and I knew one of the owners fairly well. Never would have dreamed she'd be a pill pusher. Just goes to show you can't be too careful. *best Mom voice* Learn from my mistakes.

That's true. I'd actually heard good things about that place, and I knew one of the owners fairly well. Never would have dreamed she'd be a pill pusher. Just goes to show you can't be too careful. *best Mom voice* Learn from my mistakes.

I knew you would finally see things my way :scared1:

Not sure just waiting around for someone to "eventually get theirs via word of mouth" works very well.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/05/978456/feds-68-fatal-ods-linked-to-scheme.html

Feds: 68 fatal ODs linked to scheme at Kan. clinic
By ROXANA HEGEMAN
Associated Press Writer
Updated: March 05, 2010, 9:47 pm /
Published: March 05, 2010, 8:47 pm

A new federal indictment implicates a Kansas doctor and his wife in nine additional patient deaths, bringing to 68 the number of fatal overdoses the government contends are linked to illegal prescription writing and a moneymaking conspiracy at their clinic.

Dr. Stephen Schneider, his wife Linda, who is a nurse, and unnamed others are accused of scheming to illegally dispense prescription drugs and defraud health insurance programs and patients through their Haysville clinic. They also are accused of money laundering.

The couple are directly charged with contributing to 21 deaths.

I knew you would finally see things my way :scared1:

Don't get too used to it. :D

After my divorce, the ex put our 6 year old on Ritalin. I was furious but had no say in the matter. I never gave it to him when I was supposed to, so I ate them. great speed.

I'm sorry 22 months is a RIDICULOUS age for giving a child RITALIN.

I can't imagine ANY doctor prescribing this drug for a child of that age. Not at least one who wasn't a quack or totally unlicensed.

22 month olds are in the throes of hte terrible twos adn they're learning to separate theselve from Mommy/Daddy and that they have minds of their own. They're busy learning all about the world around them---and how things work. "What dat?" is one of their favorite questions....and"Why?" shortly thereafter becomes one of their favorite words. Along with "Uh-oh".

Unbelieveable that anyone would diagnose a baby with ADD/ADHD at 22 months! :eusa_doh: :evil:

Horrible but I have heard of five year olds. This is the problem I have with these meds. Not once in 13 years of teaching has the nurse or the parent notified me and/or asked my professional opinion on whether the meds are working. Not even if the kid has failed. I would think that if the reason for the meds is so the kid could focus and attend properly, they might want to check on that. It's a travesty.

This doctor needs to be investigated.

When my son went on meds, we sent a form to his teacherg to fill out first and again after a week and again after two weeks and again after 3 weeks. Even so, I never gave my son meds during the weekend or spring or summer breaks. He only needed them so he could pay attention in class...before meds he couldn't even sit still for 5 minutes and yes, I observed him in class both before the meds and after the meds. After 3rd grade I took him off the meds due to the side effects and when the school found out they went nuts. They insisted I take him to a psychiatrist. 1/2 of that psychiatrists report was on my son's obnoxious mother. I was trained to help other parents of special needs kids deal with the school system. Do you know what the one common denominator is between parents of special needs kids who succeed and parent's of special needs kids who fail? Yeah, the successful ones all have a big file on their obnoxious parents. :lol:

Forum List

Back