21st Century Slavery by Any Other Name

Please give some data and not your opinions.

What percent are on welfare? What percent work but can't get by with what they earn?

More of the same bullshit that we don't need government.

Go to Somalia. That's exactly what they don't have there.

Yes, we need government and we also need accountability. Many of those making decisions on our behalf are so out of touch with the legitimate concerns of average citizens. I don't claim to have all the answers, but it feels like we've been bamboozled into having this false debate for far too long. There are no easy answers, but I believe less spending starts at home in the budget of each individual state.

Pointing fingers is easy, but my opinion is that we would all do well to study the data more:

Budget of the United States Government: Browse Fiscal Year 2009

FY 2010 President's Budget

Last edited:
We The People are to blame. We allow government to run us which is in stark contrast to what the Founders intended. We have become a nation of complacency that’s too lazy to get off its collective ass when the government does “stuff” that's wrong. It’s easier for us to just pay the government rather than contest it, so long as the government doesn’t interfere with our lives, on a personal level.

We even allow the government to enslave entire segments of society: To deny them of their Constitutional rights. To deny them Due Process under the law.

Point in case:

If a Non Custodial Parent (usually the father) looses his job and can’t pay (illegally) ordered Child Support, we throw him in jail. If a father living with his family looses his job, we offer him public assistance to provide for his family until he can get on his feet. Believe me, Slavery is alive and well in America.

The fact is; it doesn’t matter to us if it doesn’t affect us personally.

Here’s the bad news: They’ll get around to you, in time.

Last edited:
There is a definite need for government and the services it provides us, on all levels. And I think everyone will agree with this. The question is, how much should we or can we afford to pay for those services, and at what point does paying for them become a point of diminishing return?

On the federal level, over the last fifty years or so, the government has accounted for approximately 20% of GDP in providing those services. We have done fairly well with that formula. However, now all of a sudden, we are moving toward the federal government accounting for over 30% of GDP, and that number is likely to rise to 40% unless something changes drastically. Is this affordable to anyone? I believe not.

All of a sudden, we are on a path to a massive expansion of government that will most certainly lead to a great reduction in our standard of living. This has nothing to do with ideology as to where money should be spent. It has to do with how much we are spending and planning on spending.

Please give some data and not your opinions.

What percent are on welfare? What percent work but can't get by with what they earn?

More of the same bullshit that we don't need government.

Go to Somalia. That's exactly what they don't have there.

The problem with those like you, is that you can't see the difference between necessary and effective government, which is necessary, and excessive government that thwarts growth and stifles individual opportunity. Your answer to anything bad is more government. Please tell me why you feel doubling the size of our government over the next twenty years is a good idea? I'd really like to know.

I just have to ask ....

What is with you sheeple that in order to not have to think, nor actually strive to exel, you will sell your freedom to the US government?

What else can you call it? Income translates directly to barter for time and services rendered. After Federal income tax, and state and local usury taxes, we work almost 2 days a week for NOTHING. You are not being compensated for your time, nor your services. The government is being compensated for your time and services.

That government represents half the people of this nation at any time. That mentality represents roughly half this board.

What is wrong with you people?

On Wednesday, April 26, 2006, the 116th day of this year, the average American was finally free from government taxes. All income gained prior to this date goes to pay for federal and state taxes.

Tax Freedom Day is when Americans can start working for themselves, using the money they earn to pay the bills and buy food and clothing. Tax Freedom Day is a way to illustrate taxing trends on both national and state levels.

Tax Freedom Day Highlights Government Encroachment - Policy Note - Washington Policy Center

Pretty much anywhere else in the world that you go, you will pay them.

I'm moving to Antarctica. I will be the first official citizen, and I will set up my own Utopian government. With global warming imminently on the horizon, I don't have to worry about the cold for long, right?

You'll be in for a helluva sunburn, with the whole in the ozone and all.

Forum List

Back