21st century firearms

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
I really don't know where to put this so I figured the techies here would straighten me out quick. I have a passing acquaintance with firearms but am really just a layperson.

The sidearm has not changed a whole bunch in 150 years. Why can't we create a weapon for police that has different levels of lethality built into one piece. With today's technology is it impossible to say have tear gas, taser, and bullets available in one firearm that would not be too bulky or unmanageable for authorities to use. Is there something akin to this already available? I am only interested in the technology not arguments about having to make instant decisions.

Watching the New York video I just have to wonder whether some kind of netting, foam, putty or whatever could be used to disable any person. I know there is not time to go back to the truck and figure out what the best weapon is for the situation, but i just don't believe that there are not compact effective very portable options opened to police to disable subjects that fall short of shooting them. Heck maybe plain old birdshot is an option. Help me out here.

but then you would over populate jails

I say....get rid of them on the spot.

who needs scum.

Yeah, just skip over that whole inconvenient part of the Constitution about jury of our peers and junk.

Great plan you've got there.

I really don't know where to put this so I figured the techies here would straighten me out quick. I have a passing acquaintance with firearms but am really just a layperson.

The sidearm has not changed a whole bunch in 150 years. Why can't we create a weapon for police that has different levels of lethality built into one piece. With today's technology is it impossible to say have tear gas, taser, and bullets available in one firearm that would not be too bulky or unmanageable for authorities to use. Is there something akin to this already available? I am only interested in the technology not arguments about having to make instant decisions.

Watching the New York video I just have to wonder whether some kind of netting, foam, putty or whatever could be used to disable any person. I know there is not time to go back to the truck and figure out what the best weapon is for the situation, but i just don't believe that there are not compact effective very portable options opened to police to disable subjects that fall short of shooting them. Heck maybe plain old birdshot is an option. Help me out here.

A taser would have been the best option for the NY situation but since NY doesn't issue them to their officers, physical force was the best available option. Keep in mind that even a taser could have been fatal for that particular situation because of the suspect massive health problems.

AS for a multi projectile weapon at this point we don't really have the technology to keep them small enough to be manageable.

but then you would over populate jails

I say....get rid of them on the spot.

who needs scum.

Yeah, just skip over that whole inconvenient part of the Constitution about jury of our peers and junk.

Great plan you've got there.

ohh shut up!

Whutsa matter?

Can't defend your position that we should do away with due process and kill people "on the spot"?
What position? No one is challenging yours. If someone is ever trying to kill you feel free to embrace the whole peer thingy. And when they're shooting at me I won't give a shit about their due process. Problem solved.

You can load a Glock or a Beretta magazine with all sorts of stuff from blanks to tear gas to rubber bullets and let the Police and/or the Military play a version of Russian Roulette when they confront a threat.

How effective are rubber bullets. Is it like getting hit with a paint ball gun
Such "kinetic impact munitions" are meant to cause pain but not serious injury. They are expected to produce contusions, abrasions, and hematomas.[6] However, they may cause bone fractures, injuries to internal organs, or death. In a study of injuries in 90 patients injured by rubber bullets, one died, 17 suffered permanent disabilities or deformities and 41 required hospital treatment after being fired upon with rubber bullets.[7]

Rubber bullet - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Not long ago an officer pulled what he thought was his taser and shot a man dead...same thing would happen with a selector switch...

Forum List

Back