216,000 jobs created in February

I guess the partisans have now forgotten how to do simple research.

U.S. Economy Added 227,000 Jobs In February : NPR

Nearly a half-million people began looking for work last month, and most found jobs, the report said. That's a sign of growing optimism in the job market, as many people who had given up on looking for work came off the sidelines to search for jobs.

That also counters a troubling trend: a key reason why the unemployment rate has dropped since last year is that many out-of-work people have stopped looking for work. Only people without jobs who are actively seeking one are counted as unemployed.

A sustained rise in the number of people looking for jobs is a good sign, even if the unemployment rate doesn't change.

This month's employment numbers are fantastic news. Could it be better? Of course. However, some people will find something to complain about. I already see a thread about 8% due to people leaving the job market, there'd be a thread about that too.

Actually, what you say is not necessarily true.

Smart companies do not hire to meet demand....for by the time the person is hired and up to speed, the demand was already not satisfied...and the customer went elsewhere.

Smart business owners use people like me (I just retired a month ago)....I would analyze the market, compare quarters; compare market trends; review the competition...and determnine when the spike in demand will take place....then recruit and hire the individual well ahead of time.....so the individual is ready when the spike hits.

Bridge loans for such hires are commonplace when needed.

True, but it's because you HAVE analyized it and know profits are coming that allows you to afford workers and pay off the bridge loan. What company borrows money simply to hire more employees in the hopes that customers will magically appear? Companies that operate that way go out of business.
you still have to spend money to bring employees in. whether that is time with yourself or if you have an HR department, spend time to do the market research, or actually get a loan, everything in business costs money.

yes.....but that is what the GOP has been saying for years now.

It costs money to hire...and when business owners have littleincome...and here of a possible cutting back of the bush tax cuts....and talk of increase in regulations and maybe even cap and trade.......they are less likely to spend money to hire people.

Heck...we didnt need to give anyone any money to make this economy work. We needed the recession to run its course and let the bsuiness owners hire when they sensed the recoveryt was on the horizon.

Give money to the states to save teachers and cops....sure...fine...

But that is where it should have stopped.

True, but it's because you HAVE analyized it and know profits are coming that allows you to afford workers and pay off the bridge loan. What company borrows money simply to hire more employees in the hopes that customers will magically appear? Companies that operate that way go out of business.
you still have to spend money to bring employees in. whether that is time with yourself or if you have an HR department, spend time to do the market research, or actually get a loan, everything in business costs money.

It costs money to hire...and when business owners have littleincome...and here of a possible cutting back of the bush tax cuts....and talk of increase in regulations and maybe even cap and trade.......they are less likely to spend money to hire people.

Heck...we didnt need to give anyone any money to make this economy work. We needed the recession to run its course and let the bsuiness owners hire when they sensed the recoveryt was on the horizon.

businesses are willing to spend money when they make money, not because their tax liability is lower if they hire someone.

if the bush tax cuts entice people to hire then why havent the number been exponentially different since the extension? a business owner does not say, ooooo i got a tax cut, ill hire people.

what small business worries about cap and trade? how does that affect the guy with the hardware store down the street? or the family operating a restaurant?

btw which money are talking about? the stimulus money? tarp money? the auto bailout? the tax cuts?

Stocks at an all time high, unemployment down, retail sales up, auto sales up, home sales up, and GM is the number one automaker in the world.

Bad news for Republican whinners.

That all "looks" so impressive each time you post it, Chris but when you actually examine what you're so jazzed up about it really isn't so fantastic.

The stock market is overheated and is overdue for a correction...something that a conflict in the Middle East or a financial hiccup in Greece will hasten. Take my advice if you HAVE money in the market and get it out now.

Unemployment is down slightly. After 3 years and the spending of a trillion dollars on stimulus...is that something to brag about?

Home sales are up...but it's mostly foreclosures that are driving that market. The value of people's homes are still going down four YEARS after the real estate bubble burst. Once again...not something to brag about.

GM is the number one car company in the world because Toyota took a beating with the tidal wave. GM is about to slip back down to the #3 car company in the world behind Toyota and Volkswagon. Sure would be nice if we could get our tax payer money out of GM by the way but it's stock value is still so low that won't be happening for a long, long time.

You keep on posting this, Chris. You might even convince some ignorant folks that it means something.

businesses are willing to spend money when they make money, not because their tax liability is lower if they hire someone.

if the bush tax cuts entice people to hire then why havent the number been exponentially different since the extension? a business owner does not say, ooooo i got a tax cut, ill hire people.

what small business worries about cap and trade? how does that affect the guy with the hardware store down the street? or the family operating a restaurant?

btw which money are talking about? the stimulus money? tarp money? the auto bailout? the tax cuts?

Gee, Syphon...what small business owner worries about his electric bills being raised? Did you REALLY just ask that question? Or do you not grasp the concept that Cap & Trade will dramatically raise the cost of energy?

Nearly a half-million people began looking for work last month, and most found jobs, the report said. That's a sign of growing optimism in the job market, as many people who had given up on looking for work came off the sidelines to search for jobs.

That also counters a troubling trend: a key reason why the unemployment rate has dropped since last year is that many out-of-work people have stopped looking for work. Only people without jobs who are actively seeking one are counted as unemployed.
True; some still see bad news however.

Gee, Syphon...what small business owner worries about his electric bills being raised? Did you REALLY just ask that question? Or do you not grasp the concept that Cap & Trade will dramatically raise the cost of energy?
electric bills come from local utilities not the fed. maybe you should know this.

yes, your local small business says, wow if cap and trade passes and if my utility bill jumps $100 a month im gonna have to lay off my entire staff........ or

prove cap and trade will dramatically raise the cost of energy to the point where employers will lay off in record numbers?

hasnt happened. or business owners could become more efficient and use less energy, or develop their own ways to produce energy through wind and solar.

but thats ok, lets just become like China and have to close down most manufacturing and power generation when the olympics come back because air quality is so bad its detrimental to our health.

Beijing
Beijing_pollution_.jpg

Houston
fig1.jpg

NYC
32222088-1.JPG

yup, thats where i wanna live.

Here's the only think syphon "grasps"........and he has a hard time doing that. View attachment 17752

Here's the only think syphon "grasps"........and he has a hard time doing that. View attachment 17752

and heres about the only thing you are good for:

blowjob.gif

and heres about the only thing you are good for:

blowjob.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I don't swing that way. Good luck in your search though.

The stock market has doubled since the stimulus.
3.9 million private sector jobs have been created since 2009.
GDP has been growing since 2009.
Americans net worth is up $9 trillion dollars since 2009.
Auto sales are up. Retail sales are up. Home sales are up. Unemployment is down.
GM was saved, and is now the number one automaker in the world.
Obama has done a very good job.

electric bills come from local utilities not the fed. maybe you should know this.

yes, your local small business says, wow if cap and trade passes and if my utility bill jumps $100 a month im gonna have to lay off my entire staff........ or

prove cap and trade will dramatically raise the cost of energy to the point where employers will lay off in record numbers?

hasnt happened. or business owners could become more efficient and use less energy, or develop their own ways to produce energy through wind and solar.

but thats ok, lets just become like China and have to close down most manufacturing and power generation when the olympics come back because air quality is so bad its detrimental to our health.

Beijing
Beijing_pollution_.jpg

Houston
fig1.jpg

NYC
32222088-1.JPG

yup, thats where i wanna live.

Where was it that I said electric bills come from the Fed? Yes, they come from local utilities...the very same utilities that would have been effected by Cap & Trade. Where did I say that employers would lay off "record numbers" of employees if Cap & Trade were passed? What I "do" say is that Cap & Trade legislation would hardly prompt an employer to hire more employees at a time when their business would be forced to absorb additional costs for energy. What I "do" say is that Cap & Trade legislation would make it even more likely that a corporation deciding where to build a new plant would choose to build outside of the US.

You say that business owners will simply have to become more "efficient" and "use less energy"? Do you really think they aren't doing everything that they can ALREADY to keep their energy costs as low as possible?

I'm amused by the oft repeated claims by progressives here that anyone who doesn't feel that now is the time to enact strict new environmental regulations...wants to get rid of ALL environmental regulations. All I'm asking is for someone to explain how our businesses are supposed to compete in a world economy in which they are already burdened by regulations that their competitors don't have...when you tell them that they are going to have to deal with even more regulations? Nobody is asking for the repeal of reasonable regulations...they're simply stating that further increasing our own when nobody else is economic suicide.

The stock market has doubled since the stimulus.
3.9 million private sector jobs have been created since 2009.
GDP has been growing since 2009.
Americans net worth is up $9 trillion dollars since 2009.
Auto sales are up. Retail sales are up. Home sales are up. Unemployment is down.
GM was saved, and is now the number one automaker in the world.
Obama has done a very good job.

The Emperor has no clothes.

True; some still see bad news however.

I don't think half is "most.'

Here’s what the last Republican president left us with. The last 6 months of Bush:

Aug 2008 - 334,000 net JOBS LOST
Sep 2008 - 458,000 net JOBS LOST
Oct 2008 - 554,000 net JOBS LOST
Nov 2008 - 728,000 net JOBS LOST
Dec 2008 - 673,000 net JOBS LOST
Jan 2009 - 779,000 net JOBS LOST

- United States Bureau of Labor Statistics

Forum List

Back