21 week Fetus Saved by In-Utero Blood Transfusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JenyEliza, Apr 17, 2010.

1. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    WOW! I had NO idea a human fetus could contract the PARVO VIRUS while in-utero.

Amazing that they discovered her problem and were able to successfully treat her before birth. In the normal course of things, she would have died in-utero and been treated as a "spontaenous abortion". Baby Zahlee would likely not have been named or even given funeral rites.

This is an encouraging sign (to me at least) that the medical community is really starting to take the lives of un-born children seriously, instead of treating them as so much medical waste!

Well done, doctors! Well done!

Baby Zahlee Currie's life saved by a radical bllod transfusion | Herald Sun

[​IMG]
    Baby Zahlee and her Mum

See link for rest of story....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    tis amazing what they can do now ...as compared to 30 years ago...i wonder what the next 30 years will bring?

3. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Bones...my twins were born 8 weeks early almost 16 years ago. The things they could do *then* were pretty farking amazing. One of my babies should be dead by all rights--having been born with deflated lungs that stuck together and wouldn't inflate. They used surfactant to get the baby's lungs working and save my baby's life (a new technology then--that is now STANDARD preemie care).

This baby also had Septicemia (blood infection) due to a pin-hole leak in the amniotic sac that allowed the amniotic fluid to become contaminated and infected. (I kept telling the nurses in the hospital that I was leaking and they told me due to the size of my pregnancy from carrying twins I was peeing myself and just didn't know it--BS I told them, but they didn't listen).

Funny, I never knew my baby was Septic until this twin was 6 years old and I had to pull the medical records for school (to prove premature birth, Very Low Birthweight, etc that would make my twin eligible for extra help learning). THAT is how I found out.

But, I digress...yes, it IS amazing the things they can do now. When my twins were born almost 16 years ago, the magic number for viablility was 26 WEEKS, that was my 1st target goal. To get to 26 weeks without going into labor. Then they set it at 30 weeks, then 34 and we would deliver. I made it to 32 weeks before nature took its course.

16 years down the road....fetal viability outside the Mom is now down to 21/22 weeks.

20 years from now, I predict they will be able to keep babies as young as 16 weeks alive outside the mother's womb and that the fetus/infant will suffer NO ill effects from being born that early.

And I don't think I'm being overly optimistic at all...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010