21 Goals of the Illuminati and The Committee of 300

rtwngAvngr said:
The different religions postulate slightly different moral codes, each of which create a different type of society. For me, eastern religions espouse a moral code which is a little too apathetic and leads to a sort of nihilistic fatalism, which is NOT empowering to the individual. Emperors, of course, like people to be this way, docile.

We can examine morality rationally and decide.

"Eastern Religions"? Very broad term. Too broad.

Buddhism is the ultimate in religion or philosophy geared towards the individual, because it teaches responsibility for oneself. It is a religion which does not espouse the blame game. Judaism is somewhat similar, but Christianity gives people an out. They can act as irresponsibly as they want for their entire lives as long as they have faith. Correct? Don't people say that Jeff Dahmer is in heaven because he repented in the end? In Buddhism he would still be accountable.

Then there is the question of the term "Eastern Religion". Isn't Christianity a Middle Eastern religion? Judaism? They became popular in the West, but that isn't their original mindset.

Worship the Greek or Norse gods and you've found "Western Religion".

Nuc said:
"Eastern Religions"? Very broad term. Too broad.

Buddhism is the ultimate in religion or philosophy geared towards the individual, because it teaches responsibility for oneself. It is a religion which does not espouse the blame game. Judaism is somewhat similar, but Christianity gives people an out. They can act as irresponsibly as they want for their entire lives as long as they have faith. Correct? Don't people say that Jeff Dahmer is in heaven because he repented in the end? In Buddhism he would still be accountable.

Then there is the question of the term "Eastern Religion". Isn't Christianity a Middle Eastern religion? Judaism? They became popular in the West, but that isn't their original mindset.

Worship the Greek or Norse gods and you've found "Western Religion".

Buddhism is also self depriving in the physical and emotional sense. Self denial is not the ultimate for of morality in my opinion, though wouldn't that be convenient for despots who want it all, to tell people their attachments to stuff are holding them back? "Here I'll make it easy, give me everything you have." LOL. What a scam!

I love christianity's "Go forth and be fruitful" mindset.

Some forms of christianity DO focus on the relationship and say love is all you need, but these are edging toward new age. The moral code is the key in a sociological sense. There is forgiveness, but not without repentance.

But we're getting off topic. Do you deny that different moral codes lead to different kinds of societies?

rtwngAvngr said:
Buddhism is also self depriving in the physical and emotional sense. Self denial is not the ultimate for of morality in my opinion, though wouldn't that be convenient for despots who want it all, to tell people their attachments to stuff are holding them back? "Here I'll make it easy, give me everything you have." LOL. What a scam!

I love christianity's "Go forth and be fruitful" mindset.

Some forms of christianity DO focus on the relationship and say love is all you need, but these are edging toward new age. The moral code is the key in a sociological sense. There is forgiveness, but not without repentance.

But we're getting off topic. Do you deny that different moral codes lead to different kinds of societies?

I don't understand your statements about Buddhism.

Regarding religion and moral codes, it's a complicated issue because cultural things come into play that are not necessarily tied into the religion. Take sexual promiscuity for example. It is a trait of modern cultures regardless of religion. Opression of women, a sign of primitive cultures, Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu or animistic. There is a lot more than religion that shapes morality. You pointed out that we live in a Judeo-Christian culture, but the morality here is not what it was even 40 years ago, and that's not because of an influx of immigrants from other religions. If anything the newcomers have stricter moral values than the established people here. So to answer your question I don't think different religions create different societies, but it is an element. Look at Christian countries in Europe. Do Scandinavia and Italy have similar morals?

Nuc said:
I don't understand your statements about Buddhism.

Regarding religion and moral codes, it's a complicated issue because cultural things come into play that are not necessarily tied into the religion. Take sexual promiscuity for example. It is a trait of modern cultures regardless of religion. Opression of women, a sign of primitive cultures, Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu or animistic. There is a lot more than religion that shapes morality. You pointed out that we live in a Judeo-Christian culture, but the morality here is not what it was even 40 years ago, and that's not because of an influx of immigrants from other religions. If anything the newcomers have stricter moral values than the established people here. So to answer your question I don't think different religions create different societies, but it is an element. Look at Christian countries in Europe. Do Scandinavia and Italy have similar morals?

If you don't understand my statement about buddhism, you don't understand buddhism.

It's a huge element. And in all countries we have different levels of secular humanism, which also effects to what extent the native religion STILL influences the culture.

rtwngAvngr said:
If you don't understand my statement about buddhism, you don't understand buddhism.

Let's see, I am a Buddhist. My wife has been a Buddhist since birth. She's from a country that has 80% Buddhist population. I've visited most of the Buddhist countries and participate in practice there.

I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do.

Nuc said:
Let's see, I am a Buddhist. My wife has been a Buddhist since birth. She's from a country that has 80% Buddhist population. I've visited most of the Buddhist countries and participate in practice there.

I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do.

Seems like maybe I do. If you're not aware of the doctrine that suffering comes from attachment to things and people maybe you haven't skimmed the surface.

rtwngAvngr said:
Seems like maybe I do. If you're not aware of the doctrine that suffering comes from attachment to things and people maybe you haven't skimmed the surface.

Sure that's one of the main parts of the doctrine, but it falls under the category of an observation, not a directive.

And I don't see how that leads to nihilism or a defeatist attitude as you said. I find Buddhism quite positive because by placing responsibility upon yourself it encourages you to think that you can become what you want through action. Actually I think those attitudes (nihilism etc.) come more from whether a person is depressed or not than what religion they have.

Armageddon and end-time Christianity is nihilistic. It encourages people to think, "Who cares about the environment or future generations because it'll all be over soon anyway".

Truth is you can find all kinds of positive or negative things to say about any religion depending on how you look at it.

Nuc said:
Sure that's one of the main parts of the doctrine, but it falls under the category of an observation, not a directive.

And I don't see how that leads to nihilism or a defeatist attitude as you said. I find Buddhism quite positive because by placing responsibility upon yourself it encourages you to think that you can become what you want through action. Actually I think those attitudes (nihilism etc.) come more from whether a person is depressed or not than what religion they have.

Armageddon and end-time Christianity is nihilistic. It encourages people to think, "Who cares about the environment or future generations because it'll all be over soon anyway".

Truth is you can find all kinds of positive or negative things to say about any religion depending on how you look at it.

And observations lead to worldviews which influence actions on a grand scale.

You can look at any religion any way you want but some interpretations are more accurate and truthful than others. Becoming what you want through actions seems like too much ambition to be a truly buddhist thought. But you look and see what you want. That's fine. I'm just glad our laws are based on judaeo-christianity. :D

rtwngAvngr said:
Becoming what you want through actions seems like too much ambition to be a truly buddhist thought.

Too ambitious to be Buddhist? Buddhism is an ambitious philosophy. Attaining enlightenment for oneself and guiding others towards it is not exactly a lethargic point of view.

Isn't self reliance in short order nowadays? America could use a lot more and where it comes from, who cares? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

:usa: :thanks: :slap: :splat: :cof:

Nuc said:
Too ambitious to be Buddhist? Buddhism is an ambitious philosophy. Attaining enlightenment for oneself and guiding others towards it is not exactly a lethargic point of view.

Isn't self reliance in short order nowadays? America could use a lot more and where it comes from, who cares? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Enlightenment through self denial. I just find it a bit negative to believe all attachments lead to suffering and the path to enlightenment is to not give a shit. We disagree. And that's ok. :)

Nuc said:

That's not really what buddhism is. Take it from the non-buddhist. ;)

Forum List

Back