2019 Vegetable Gardening General Discussion

Deer are eating me out of house and home. Have a pregnant doe camped out in grove of woods behind my house. I assume she is pregnant. She might just be fat from standing around all day eating my crap.

Deer are eating me out of house and home. Have a pregnant doe camped out in grove of woods behind my house. I assume she is pregnant. She might just be fat from standing around all day eating my crap.
Tried red pepper flakes yet?
if not try getting some daffodils and latana (sp?) plants around your garden... it worked for me for a few years.
Now I have 50lb fishing line at a foot and 3 feet off the ground... its almost comical to see them approach the garden and then get confused because of the fishing line. They can't see it, apparently, and run into it and go "WTF?"
Nothing is full proof, not forever, but somethings do work for awhile.

if not try getting some daffodils and latana (sp?) plants around your garden... it worked for me for a few years.
Now I have 50lb fishing line at a foot and 3 feet off the ground... its almost comical to see them approach the garden and then get confused because of the fishing line. They can't see it, apparently, and run into it and go "WTF?"

I have tried lots of things. Fencing is the only thing that really works. I did fishing line, crime scene tape, deodorant soap, liquid fence.

I have tried lots of things. Fencing is the only thing that really works. I did fishing line, crime scene tape, deodorant soap, liquid fence.

Yeah, just thought you were looking for things that have worked for others. I now have an 6.5 ft rebar fence around my garden.. made in 8 ft section. Pieced together over time, but works well for me.... right now. lol

Looks like 2019 will be my best potato harvest ever if the rest of the crop holds out as well as the first 4 or 5 feet I test dug today.

Finished digging potatoes. Great year for them. Planted green beans in the same area to hopefully finish out the season there. Lots of hot peppers coming in as that is about only thing deer won't touch. Getting tomatoes here and there off the plants that were spared by the deer because they were so close to the house. Going to have to do some more fencing this winter. The deer have gotten overly comfortable here. Picked first cucumber of year today. Have some more little ones. Came to the sudden realization that all the plants I thought were saved butternut squash seeds were in fact pumpkin seeds so I should have enough jack o Lanterns to run a row from here to michigan and back.

Forum List

Back