2019 Vegetable Gardening General Discussion

Here in NW Ohio it's time for planting anything yet. I'm really missing garden fresh vegetables.

Do you ever go foraging? I used to enjoy doing that.
I go mushroom hunting a lot. I have some property out in the country with thousands of oak trees that is great for hunting the super delicious morel mushrooms. Morels love them oak trees. It's almost that time of year too.

You do know which ones not to pick?

The lethal ones?
I'm still here. I follow the golden rule of foraging. When in doubt, don't eat it.

I don't eat any mushroom that I haven't positively identified as an edible species. Or if it's in a place that may have been exposed to pesticides/herbicides.

Been slowly getting back into vegetable gardening and am starting to gear up for 2019. Thought I would create a thread for those who want to discuss what is going on in their gardens this year.

Cleaned out one bin of the compost system and topped off a small bed with it that will be where the hot peppers go. Planted some green onions in a 4X8 raised bed that I have harvested most of the fall onions from in the last month. I set aside half of another 4X8 raised bed to grow walking onions in. I have about 3.5 pounds of onion sets I will put out at some point in the next month or so. Started some snow peas but they are not up yet. Will turn under the winter garden in the next few weeks so it can sit fallow until May 1 when I start planting again.

Any other veg growers here starting up for 2019 yet? (Yes you Texas and very southerner Florida people we know you are nearing the end of your season but I am talking about real Americans :11_2_1043:)
Yeah I'm slow this year and have yet to pull the fall onions and garlic and I've planted peas and spinach and have stars in the house for herbs.

We don't harvest garlic until about late june to early july in my area.

[QUOT="Moonglow, post: 22212762, member: 30820"]
Here in NW Ohio it's time for planting anything yet. I'm really missing garden fresh vegetables.

Do you ever go foraging? I used to enjoy doing that.
For tree bark or skeletons from dead animals??

Neither.
This time of year it's fungi hunting, wild onions and garlic. I usually just hunt for pixies..

I like the wild garlic.[/QUOTE]

I had a few of my ramps come up this year okay enough. They are not as prolific in this area as in the mountains so I have been trying to get some established. Planted about 1000 seeds last year. Then came the hurricanes so who knows if any of them survived. They take forever to grow from seed---like 6-7 years.

Been slowly getting back into vegetable gardening and am starting to gear up for 2019. Thought I would create a thread for those who want to discuss what is going on in their gardens this year.

Cleaned out one bin of the compost system and topped off a small bed with it that will be where the hot peppers go. Planted some green onions in a 4X8 raised bed that I have harvested most of the fall onions from in the last month. I set aside half of another 4X8 raised bed to grow walking onions in. I have about 3.5 pounds of onion sets I will put out at some point in the next month or so. Started some snow peas but they are not up yet. Will turn under the winter garden in the next few weeks so it can sit fallow until May 1 when I start planting again.

Any other veg growers here starting up for 2019 yet? (Yes you Texas and very southerner Florida people we know you are nearing the end of your season but I am talking about real Americans :11_2_1043:)

I’m in a town home so gardening is limited to a few pots. I’m skipping that this year, but I am doing mushrooms. That’s what I do to get my gardening fix. On Good Friday I’ll be setting up for some white buttons and portabella. Then if I feel ballsey some shiitake. The girl child wants to try some pink oyster and lions main. You should give it a shot. It’s so easy a caveman can do it.

I’m in a town home so gardening is limited to a few pots. I’m skipping that this year, but I am doing mushrooms. That’s what I do to get my gardening fix. On Good Friday I’ll be setting up for some white buttons and portabella. Then if I feel ballsey some shiitake. The girl child wants to try some pink oyster and lions main. You should give it a shot. It’s so easy a caveman can do it.

I eat shiitake mushrooms. From the farmers' market..

Has anyone used dandelions? My mother used to make tea with them.

My neighbor from Cali, a refugee from the fires makes this really good pie like thing with dandelion greens and stuff from her herb garden. She uses this really thin dough you buy at the store, puts it in a pie pan, brushes it with real butter, layer of greens and herbs, thin layer of cheese, then sheet of dough, tomato’s, thin layer of cheese, then repeat until the pie pan is appropriately full, then alittle time in the oven. The smell will drive you crazy. Really, really good stuff.

My neighbor from Cali, a refugee from the fires makes this really good pie like thing with dandelion greens and stuff from her herb garden. She uses this really thin dough you buy at the store, puts it in a pie pan, brushes it with real butter, layer of greens and herbs, thin layer of cheese, then sheet of dough, tomato’s, thin layer of cheese, then repeat until the pie pan is appropriately full, then alittle time in the oven. The smell will drive you crazy. Really, really good stuff.

I never thought of using the greens.

I never thought of using the greens.

It can be just about anything. Sometimes she does it just to clean out her herb garden. Forgot to mention, it was two kinds of cheese, one was caso fresco, I think the other was mozzarella, but I can be sure. I ate it to fast.

I have had them in salads at tony restaurants. I never actually pick any out of my yard to eat on their own. They have that same bitterness of rocket which looks like dandelions as well, but dandelions are more bitter (like say russian kale). I grow rocket (arugula) often. It is a tad more peppery than dandelions but still pretty strong. I like a sprig or two on eggs or sandwiches.

I am very peculiar about mushrooms. I will not eat them unless they come from a store/restaurant and I definitely would never eat any I grew. I would be too afraid of contamination from all the various toadstools, shroom and molds that grow naturally in my area. Just a little OCD about getting toxic mushrooms for some reason. I don't like to keep much inside except in winter. Every plant in my house will be outside within the next few weeks (some already are) and not be back until mid October.

I sometimes wish I lived in a townhouse. It would be a lot easier not to have acres of outside to take care of. It is the curse of living in the semi-rural south. Land can be had so cheap sometimes, it is hard to say no to if some becomes available connected to what you already have.

I am very peculiar about mushrooms. I will not eat them unless they come from a store/restaurant and I definitely would never eat any I grew. I would be too afraid of contamination from all the various toadstools, shroom and molds that grow naturally in my area. Just a little OCD about getting toxic mushrooms for some reason. I don't like to keep much inside except in winter. Every plant in my house will be outside within the next few weeks (some already are) and not be back until mid October.

I sometimes wish I lived in a townhouse. It would be a lot easier not to have acres of outside to take care of. It is the curse of living in the semi-rural south. Land can be had so cheap sometimes, it is hard to say no to if some becomes available connected to what you already have.

Want to trade?

Want to trade?

Sure, I will trade you for a billion dollars as that is what it would take for me to move to hot arse texas from the mid-atlantic where it is more crotch warm.

I have had them in salads at tony restaurants. I never actually pick any out of my yard to eat on their own. They have that same bitterness of rocket which looks like dandelions as well, but dandelions are more bitter (like say russian kale). I grow rocket (arugula) often. It is a tad more peppery than dandelions but still pretty strong. I like a sprig or two on eggs or sandwiches.

I like anything bitter tasting; radicchio for instance. Watercress, (I used to grow it), and nasturtiums fit that category too.

I like anything bitter tasting; radicchio for instance. Watercress, (I used to grow it), and nasturtiums fit that category too.

I plant nasturtiums through out my veg beds in gaps to help keep weeds down. I eat them some times, but they usually get full when it is too hot for lettuce so hard to add them in.

I understand the OCD part. I was the same way. Some grow their own outside, I don’t. All indoors. This is clean, if anything looks contaminated they shop mess gets removed and tossed. There is plenty of read on the internet about it that will remove much of the voodoo around growing them, but you won’t feel good about it until you give it a shot. I was to chicken to eat my first fruits, now I sell some now and again to our farmers market. Now the wild ones I won’t mess with. Poison mushrooms are bad news. Unless they are cubes, then they are just fun.

off today and of course it has to rain. Been dashing out to weed between downpours. Have managed to pot up about a half dozen mint plants I will give away to people who want them despite my warning about having them. The rest will go in the compost.

Noticed part of my row of garlic missing. Trying to decide if the deer yanked them completely out of the ground or the person mowing the property next door swiped them.

Forecast looks good enough to go in search of tomatoes and peppers to start setting out this week. Planted some more radishes and some beets yesterday.

Here in Wisconsin, a pet dandelion is saved from the rabbits by being in a pot on the porch railing. It has recently sprouted out from its root-stock to about 3" which will become a 14" plant. Eating the greens most every day is second to finding plants that are not from contaminated spots. The ideal dandelion patch would be grown in soil that is certified free of heavy metal contamination.

Planted out the rest of the tomatoes I have ahead of the rain. Still need to find some cherry tomatoes. Nobody has them yet except in those overpriced Bonnie peat pots. Radishes are getting huge. Need to harvest them this week before they start getting tough. Still going to hold off another week or two before putting seed in the ground. Weather is a bit erratic. Warm days on the 80's but still some cool nights in the 40's in forecast.

Americans do not know how to harvest and save food.
Americans can only eat shit at mcdonalds.

Forum List

Back