2014 battle for control of the US Senate

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by Statistikhengst, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Je Suis Charlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,089
    "Sen. Hagan has failed the people of North Carolina and the nation by not securing our border," Tillis said during an Oct. 7 debate with Hagan. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have an Ebola outbreak, we have bad actors who can come across the border. We need to seal the border and secure it." Thom Tillis

"Groups like the Islamic State collaborate with drug cartels in Mexico who have clearly shown they’re willing to expand outside the drug trade into human trafficking and potentially even terrorism," Cotton said at a recent town hall-style gathering. “They could infiltrate our defenseless border and attack us right here in places like Arkansas. This is an urgent problem and it’s time we got serious about it, and I’ll be serious about it in the United States Senate.” Tom Cotton

Alabama Republican Senator Jeff Sessions accused President Obama, Attorney General Holder, and Vice President Biden of “deliberately collapsing” the nation’s immigration law enforcement system. This is pure John Birch Society paranoia:

"Our law enforcement system is in a state of collapse, and it’s a deliberate plan by the president of the United States, and it’s wrong. And, people need to be aware of it and need to stand up to it and I believe the American people are beginning to do so."

"I do think that yes, he should face those repercussions, and whether that's removal from office, whether that's impeachment," Ernst said in response.

Joni Ernst went on to say that as a U.S. Senator it's important not to be "silent" on actions that warranted Obama's impeachment.

"And unfortunately we have a number of legislators right now that simply let these things happen. They're not speaking up against these actions," Ernst said. "They're not speaking out against the president when he oversteps his bounds, when he makes those appointments, when he's appointing czars, when he is producing executive orders in a threat to a Congress that won't do as he wishes. So he has become a dictator."

2. Nyvin

Nyvin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    I'm amazed how off the polls were, utterly surprised really.

3. Statistikhengst

Statistikhengst תיקון עולם, this will never end Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,653
    Complete analysis AFTER the final canvasses are published.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. WelfareQueen

WelfareQueen Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,521
    The canvas data may move things a fraction in either direction. The essential point remains. The pollsters did a horrible job...and were heavily biased against the GOP. Here are the actual numbers.

I just did an analysis. Every key battleground States were off....most big....and all but one were heavily biased against the GOP.

Don't let anyone one spin you....The Pollsters screwed up. This is exactly how far off they were.

KS -11.5 off.

AR -10.0 off

VA -9.1 off

AK -1.3 off

IA -6.2 off

CO -1.7 off

KY -8.2 off

NC -2.4 off

GA -4.9 off

LA -4.5 off

NH +3.0 off This is the only State that had a GOP polling bias of the key States.

Of the key States listed....The aggregate polling bias was -5.4% against the GOP.

A huge failure and will need to be explained.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Nyvin

Nyvin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    I actually agree with WelfareQueen....*gasp*

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Statistikhengst

Statistikhengst תיקון עולם, this will never end Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,653

I wait until the final canvasses in order to get completely exact stats. I am a stickler for things being numerically perfect.

Probably has to do with my name....

:D

7. Statistikhengst

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,653
    Of course, we are still waiting for absentee ballots from Coridan IV and the outer colonies of Beta Eri Epsidon and once they are in, then we DEMS have this one in the bag!!!!

:rofl:

8. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,094
    Polling is an inexact exercise.

Especially when enough registered voters start filling pollsters with shit to the extent that their baby blues turn brown.

Yes, there was one hell of a lot of intentional misleading.

9. Nyvin

Nyvin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    I'm skeptical if there was intentional misleading, just like there wasn't in 2012 when the bias was the other way.

I'd say the problem lies more with the polling firms themselves. Either there's some internal conformity problem where the media wants to portray a "close election" and the polling firms get intimidated to stand out and they all go along with the story showing an election closer then it is, or political polling in general just isn't up to speed in US for the modern age (cell phones, much lower response rates then a few decades ago, etc)

10. Nyvin

Nyvin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    Geez, looking over these numbers the polls look like they were WAAAY off...Iowa polling for Senate was downright terrible, same with Kentucky and Arkansas. The Virginia race was polled really bad too.

I don't think I've ever seen polling this bad, what a failure