2012 Vice Presidential Debate Thread

When Raddatz looks back on that night, I think she'll be chagrined to realize that she lost control of the proceedings and allowed Joe Biden turn a debate into a mockery of debate.

Position and policy took a back seat to "antics"...and the American people are the worse for it.

If you think Biden's behavor was orchestrated with the moderator, Foxfyre, you are becoming delusional.

You are becoming a sad yet accurate facsimile of the libertarian wing and the extremist wing descending into unreality.

If Martha Raddatz had REALLY wanted a debate, Jake...she would have given Joe Biden a short lecture on debate etiquette and told him to refrain from what he was doing. His actions went so far across the line that it's something that should have been done but in Raddatz's defense I'm sure she had no inkling that a Vice President of the United States would act in such a way and was hesitant to lecture him like you would a disruptive schoolboy making farting noises in the back of class.

That is assuming that Raddatz wasn't in on the shenanigans. Because of the way she was so quick to cut off and interrupt Ryan but made no attempt to rein in Biden, I have no such confidence that she wasn't also instructed on that. She probably is embarrassed at how badly she came off, but I'm sure she will be properly rewarded for her dutiful performance. Okay, I hope I'm wrong, but after watching so much of this stuff, I have a huge stripe of cynicism down my back these days.

Last edited:
The Obama Campaign doesn't have the need for "shenanigans", Foxie...they know only too well that the moderators in ALL these debates are already predisposed to their views. When Martha Raddatz demands "details" from Paul Ryan but doesn't ask the same of Joe Biden then it's obvious that she went into that debate with the mindset that Ryan/Romney's tax plan isn't viable because it's not set in stone how it will be finalized. Where was the demand for details about how just a tax on the wealthy will pay for all of the additional entitlements that Obama/Biden have promised? Ryan correctly pointed out that taking ALL of the earnings of the 1% would only fund government for 90 days while it would cause our economy to crater but Raddatz didn't demand details from Biden on how their plan was going to decrease the deficit.

And I think Martha Raddatz started the night determined that as soon as Ryan brought up his 20% tax that she was going to immediately jump in and demand specifics...which she did even though it meant cutting off Paul Ryan in mid-sentence as he was trying to explain how those cuts would work.

That eagerness is indicative of the mind set that the moderator had going in...if she'd REALLY been neutral she would have let Ryan finish his statement and then ask a follow up question seeking more specific answers.

She did as good a job as she could have done with him.

You all are whining about JoebeingJoe, and what should have been done.

Not one of you would have done a thing.

If you think Biden's behavor was orchestrated with the moderator, Foxfyre, you are becoming delusional.

You are becoming a sad yet accurate facsimile of the libertarian wing and the extremist wing descending into unreality.

If Martha Raddatz had REALLY wanted a debate, Jake...she would have given Joe Biden a short lecture on debate etiquette and told him to refrain from what he was doing. His actions went so far across the line that it's something that should have been done but in Raddatz's defense I'm sure she had no inkling that a Vice President of the United States would act in such a way and was hesitant to lecture him like you would a disruptive schoolboy making farting noises in the back of class.

I watched the same debate you all did, and Martha did a good job.

You are being homers and it shows.

You know what, Jake...my late father was the Town Meeting Moderator for many years in the Massachusetts town I grew up in. I've seen him oversee some extremely contentious debates over some explosive topics and I can guarantee you that he would have NEVER stood for what Joe Biden was doing on that stage. I would have done what I've witnessed my father do countless times...namely stop the proceedings and warn all those involved that we were there to conduct important business for the voters and that disruptive behavior would not be tolerated. THAT is first and foremost the most important thing that a moderator DOES and on that, Martha Raddatz fell woefully short.

Last edited:
I agree, Grampa. Ryan could have knocked out Biden, and the MR campaign could have moved into the majority in the swing states.

So here we are, another darn debate to go.

The GOP should have had this campaign by 15 points, but here we are having to gut it out because America remembers Bush, Iraq, and the far extremist right.

I hate this, what the extremist and neo-con wings have brought the GOP to.

How sad is it that bumbling Joe had to rescue O

Last edited:
I am sure you father would have done the right thing.

I am equally sure that none of this board, including you, could have stopped Joe.

You know what, Jake...my late father was the Town Meeting Moderator for many years in the Massachusetts town I grew up in. I've seen him oversee some extremely contentious debates over some explosive topics and I can guarantee you that he would have NEVER stood for what Joe Biden was doing on that stage. I would have done what I've witnessed my father do countless times...namely stop the proceedings and warn all those involved that we were there to conduct important business for the voters and that disruptive behavior would not be tolerated. THAT is first and foremost the most important thing that a moderator DOES and on that, Martha Raddatz fell woefully short.

All it would have taken was for Martha Raddatz to put up her hand...look Joe Biden dead in the eyes and say: "Mr Vice President...this is a debate about the future of the country...it's isn't a laughing matter. Please respect the venue and the American people."

I guarantee you that Joe Biden would have folded like a tent.

All it would have taken was for Martha Raddatz to put up her hand...look Joe Biden dead in the eyes and say: "Mr Vice President...this is a debate about the future of the country...it's isn't a laughing matter. Please respect the venue and the American people."

I guarantee you that Joe Biden would have folded like a tent.
very true. well even better new for conservative after usa today poll so did not help obama

he 51 % to 45% up. Jake tapper of abc news said this is awful for obama on twitter and show romney mo getting bigger and bigger.

is this thing over now

The Obama Campaign doesn't have the need for "shenanigans", Foxie...they know only too well that the moderators in ALL these debates are already predisposed to their views. When Martha Raddatz demands "details" from Paul Ryan but doesn't ask the same of Joe Biden then it's obvious that she went into that debate with the mindset that Ryan/Romney's tax plan isn't viable because it's not set in stone how it will be finalized. Where was the demand for details about how just a tax on the wealthy will pay for all of the additional entitlements that Obama/Biden have promised? Ryan correctly pointed out that taking ALL of the earnings of the 1% would only fund government for 90 days while it would cause our economy to crater but Raddatz didn't demand details from Biden on how their plan was going to decrease the deficit.

This one was different though. You had Biden who gets it wrong as often as he gets it right, a perpetual gaffe machine who can't remember facts straight to save his life, going up against a bright, capable, very well informed, and no doubt very well prepared Ryan who WOULD remember the facts and report them competently. A sure prescription for a total train wreck in a normal debate and that the Obama campaign no doubt simply could not risk. But neither could they afford how it would look for Biden to refuse to debate Ryan.

So the solution? Just send Joe out as laughing Joe to make sure Ryan wasn't allowed to drive home a single point. And, as you pointed out, Radditz did not shy away from shutting Ryan down, cutting him off, interjecting her own follow up before he had even finished his sentence. She did not do that to Biden though she did give the appearance of enforcing time during the times he could speak--you know when he could speak unimpeded without somebody covering up his words?

Was that by design. My cynical side says probably because it was the only way they had to do damage control. Maybe not. But I'm long past believing they couldn't go that low.

This one was different though. You had Biden who gets it wrong as often as he gets it right, a perpetual gaffe machine who can't remember facts straight to save his life, going up against a bright, capable, very well informed, and no doubt very well prepared Ryan who WOULD remember the facts and report them competently. A sure prescription for a total train wreck in a normal debate and that the Obama campaign no doubt simply could not risk. But neither could they afford how it would look for Biden to refuse to debate Ryan.

So the solution? Just send Joe out as laughing Joe to make sure Ryan wasn't allowed to drive home a single point. And, as you pointed out, Radditz did not shy away from shutting Ryan down, cutting him off, interjecting her own follow up before he had even finished his sentence. She did not do that to Biden though she did give the appearance of enforcing time during the times he could speak--you know when he could speak unimpeded without somebody covering up his words?

Was that by design. My cynical side says probably because it was the only way they had to do damage control. Maybe not. But I'm long past believing they couldn't go that low.

Sending Biden out with orders to disrupt the debate and keep Ryan off balance was definitely by design. The Obama campaign either has Biden do "that" or they let him debate Paul Ryan on the economy and it should be fairly obvious at this point that Joe Biden isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so that AIN'T happening!

The Obama Camp only gets away with that strategy if A) they have a moderator that allows Biden to play the buffoon and B) they can control the subsequent media reporting to declare Biden the "winner" of a debate that never was. With Radditz they had the former and with the Main Stream Media they got the latter.

What I'm curious to see is how Barry conducts himself during his second debate. I don't think he can pull off the "Crazy Joe" routine. If he was to try that he'd look like an asshole. I'm guessing he's going to tell "fairy tales" about how things are and how things could be...be as vague as he possibly can and hope nobody really grills him about what happened in Libya. There's no way he's going to run on his record because it's THAT bad.

This morning it appears that the voters finally have gotten from MR a reason to not vote for a less than competent president.

Mitt is going to win this election because the centerists and independents are moving over to him, which is going to free him from the extreme libertarian and far right wings of American politics.

Mitt, do this right! Exclude the far right and libertarian wings from any policy making in the administration. Isolate Ryan as the veep and then replace him in four years, as you build a right of center great coalition and bring America back to greatness.

Forum List

Back