2012: Stanley McChrystal and Ben Stein

Catbert

Sep 16, 2009
Was thinking about who I'd like to see on the 2012 Republican ticket. Ideally, someone who's served in the military, and someone with a strong economic and political background.

General Stanley McChrystal
and Ben Stein

Stanley McChrystal = 4-star General, doesn't seem to have expressed any clear political party affiliation, ran the Pentagon's secretive black ops for five years before being named Commander of all US & NATO forces in Afghanistan, etc.

Ben Stein = Yale law degree, Economist Dept. of Commerce, Trial Lawyer Federal Trade Commission, Poverty Lawyer, Taught political and social content of mass culture, etc.

These two could do some Butt-kickin' in the White House

Was thinking about who I'd like to see on the 2012 Republican ticket. Ideally, someone who's served in the military, and someone with a strong economic and political background.

and Ben Stein

Stanley McChrystal = 4-star General, doesn't seem to have expressed any clear political party affiliation, ran the Pentagon's secretive black ops for five years before being named Commander of all US & NATO forces in Afghanistan, etc.

Ben Stein = Yale law degree, Economist Dept. of Commerce, Trial Lawyer Federal Trade Commission, Poverty Lawyer, Taught political and social content of mass culture, etc.

That's absolutely pitiful.

If Obama has taught us anything, it is that experience matters. Let's find someone who has actual experience in government.

Actually, Rabbi, what's pitiful is continuing to run the country the way it's been run for decades which has weakened our system.

Worse is the amateur currently occupying the White House. Please recall that this community organizer/senator, who obviously was totally ignorant of the issues, did not cast a yay or nay vote on hot button congressional issues, but simply marked his votes as "present." He had/has no practical experience and (as you seem to agree) is obviously a poor choice for commander in chief. We can't make this mistake again based on charisma, race, or rhetoric. And how about that VP Biden?

McChrystal has been around the military and involved in congressional matters for over 30 years.

Ben Stein has been politically active his adult life, and his viewpoints have been clearly presented to the public. He states solutions to the economic woes we have today, and isn't afraid to confront the issues.

I'd be interested in hearing who you might deem worthy of the Republican nomination.

Last edited:

and Ben Stein

That's absolutely pitiful.

If Obama has taught us anything, it is that experience matters. Let's find someone who has actual experience in government.

We don't need more government pukes in the White House. I'd prefer someone with more business than government experience. Real world vs. make-believe.

Ben Stein recently said that we need to raise taxes on the richest in this country (1-10%). He said he didn't want to-but that we had to.

Still support him? Just wondering.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEo1TjLRI8]YouTube - CNN: Ben Stein: 'We're gonna have to raise taxes'[/ame]

Starts about 45 seconds into the video.

Ben Stein recently said that we need to raise taxes on the richest in this country (1-10%). He said he didn't want to-but that we had to.

Still support him? Just wondering.

YouTube - CNN: Ben Stein: 'We're gonna have to raise taxes'

Starts about 45 seconds into the video.

Yes, because as Stein states, (paraphrased) Where can we cut the budget to come up with the money we need to balance it? "We must have a drastic rise in taxes."

"Fifty percent of the population does not pay taxes."

In another video Stein talks of Obama's plans to increase capital gains taxes (now at 15%) to 25-30% (double). This will affect everyone selling a home, and will tax away capital gains on retirement account money. We already have a retirement crisis. Currently there are 30 million baby boomers with no preparations for retirement in place at all. Stein recommends increasing taxes on those making 5 million or more.

How Obama will screw the US economy:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPvk7Ixiotg]YouTube - Ben Stein explaining how Obama will screw the US Economy[/ame]

Obama says he'll cut taxes for the middle class which, to him, are those making $75,000 or less. Stein states that $75,000 (gross) is barely above the poverty line for a family of 4 or more. He suggests that the middle class be defined as those making $50,000 - 250,000 AFTER TAXES.

He said that Obama hasn't thought this through.

I have no problem with the wealthy paying more taxes.

and Ben Stein

Grasping at straws?

Stein has the problem of being too honest. I don't know McChrystal, but four star usually suggests a high level of competence both in the political and government service.

And Stein does have a lot of government service. He just doesn't have the political experience. he does know how the white house works, having worked there before.

and Ben Stein

Ben Stein didn't see the recession coming, so I would say his economic credentials aren't worth very much.

and Ben Stein

Ben Stein didn't see the recession coming, so I would say his economic credentials aren't worth very much.

Lots of economists didnt see the recession coming. So what?
Economists make fortune tellers look good.

and Ben Stein

Lots of economists didnt see the recession coming. So what?
Economists make fortune tellers look good.

So those economists shouldn't be listened to. Instead maybe we should listen to those who did see it coming. I don't understand some people's fascination with listening to those who have been repeatedly wrong.

Stein worked as a speechwriter. I wouldn't think that qualifies him.

Yes, he was a speechwriter prior to greater accomplishments.

At this point, Obama's speechwriter knows more about politics than he does, so there's something to be said about who writes your material.

Stein worked as a speechwriter. I wouldn't think that qualifies him.

Yes, he was a speechwriter prior to greater accomplishments.

At this point, Obama's speechwriter knows more about politics than he does, so there's something to be said about who writes your material.

Obama's teleprompter knows more than he does. But I wouldn't vote for his teleprompter for president.
I dont know what great accomplishments Stein has done, other than write popular columns for AmSpec, act in movies, and appear on game shows.

I would prefer to see Ben Stein run with Al Franken in 2012

The Franken/Stein ticket would scare the hell out of traditional candidates

Forum List

Back