waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Alabama got hit hard...
:eek:
Alabama cities hit by twisters as death toll rises
28 Apr.`11 - Tuscaloosa, Birmingham suburbs see damage from huge tornado
Then the latest round of storms hit Alabama on Wednesday afternoon and evening, pushing the death toll much higher. The Associated Press said the toll in Alabama was at least 58. A count by msnbc.com that included county-by-county numbers from The Weather Channel and NBC station WAFF of Huntsville showed at least 62 dead. The storm system was predicted to move on through the Carolinas.

A giant tornado touched down near the Mississippi state line, then spent more than two hours on the ground tracking northeast. Local TV channels showed the black wedge cloud, estimated at a mile wide, moving through Tuscaloosa, then along Interstate 59 through Birmingham's northern suburbs and just missing the airport. The system then tracked into northwest Georgia. At least seven people were killed there. Two of those were in Ringgold, where up to 200 people were reported injured. Dade County. Sheriff Patrick Canon told NBC station WXIA that three people died in his county. He said his family's home was flattened.

gss-110427-bamaTornado-llinkart.grid-8x2.jpg

Tuscaloosa's mayor said at least 16 people were killed there and "well over 100" injured. At least 11 people were confirmed dead in the towns of Concord and Pleasant Grove near Birmingham, according to Jefferson County Emergency Management officials. Injuries and structural damage were widespread there and in other suburbs of Birmingham, which has a metro population of 1 million. In Tuscaloosa, home to the University of Alabama, cars were tossed along a commercial street and dozens of stores were destroyed or damaged. Ambulances were seen rushing to the area after the storm passed. Video taken at the university showed a massive funnel cloud flinging huge pieces of debris through the air.

News footage showed paramedics lifting a child out of a flattened home there, with many neighboring buildings in the city of more than 77,000 also reduced to rubble. "It looks like somebody came through with a huge ax and cut the top off of everything. Just a big blade through that whole area," resident David Ikard was quoted as saying by Alabama Live. "That area is just total devastation."

More Deadly tornadoes devastate Alabama cities - Weather - msnbc.com

In prayers for all of these people...so sad!! And so scary!!! I've never seen anything like this and i'm almost 60 yrs old...:(

damn the south is getting fucked up the ass with no lube.....last night...we had alerts till 2 am.....
i moved to this area for one reason....no tornadoes.....i was in one as a child....and i remember that night and made a vow that i would never live in an area that had them...they have followed me...

ala, miss, tn, east nc....has been devastated by the latest round of storms.....seems like as soon as one round hits...another round is forming....

but are already beginning to regroup and rebuild....it is all we can do....

parts of the south are flooding as texas needs rain....and more rain...of course when the rain hits...it will flood the area, just seems the way of it now days.

We need to send in Gigantor.......................

gigantor15hj3cx3-1.gif

LOL...........the hysterical ones will tell you this is the clear indication the earth is dying..............but this kind of pattern occurs every 50 years where you get the massive flooding you are seeing in the Ohio/Mississippi River area, accompanied with extreme tornado activity. The guy on the Weather Channel was talking about it two nights ago and in the "Bad News for the k00ks" thread I posted up, I threw up a link on HISTORY OF MIDWEST TORNADOS.

Just keeping up my role in here = to keep it real.

Last edited:
SIcK outbreaks of tornado's is nothing new...........of course...........the k00ks bet on the fact that most people are going to be moved by whats happening NOW!!! Lets face it..........guys like Old Rocks..........any weather anomoly happens and the reaction is..................

shocked-man2.jpg

Some people are just more prone to reacting to life in a hysterical manner. I was at a wake the other night and one of the women who attended just threw herself all over the place wailing. People respond to life events differently...............alot of the environmental crowd tend to respond to regular life events with pronounced drama. It happens...............

But............

HISTORICAL TORNADO STATISTICS·

The most tornadoes in one year occurred in 2003, when 1,376 tornadoes were reported. 2003 also brought
the highest number of tornadoes in a ten-day period (May 1st through May 10th): 412. May 2003 also
tripled the average number of tornadoes for the month with a total of 543 tornadoes, compared to an
average May total of 180.

· The Tri-State Tornado of March 18, 1925 claimed the most lives of any single tornado, killing 689 people
in 3½ hours on its 219-mile long track. This tornado also was the third-fastest tornado on record, traveling
at nearly 60 miles per hour.

· The most tornado deaths in one year following the inception of official severe weather forecasting by Air
Force officials in 1951 occurred in 1953, when 519 people died from 422 tornadoes. Three of most deadly
tornadoes of all time occurred in this year in three different places: Flint, MI; Waco, TX; and Worchester,
MA.

· The costliest tornado in history occurred on May 3rd, 1999, when an F5 tornado devastated the Oklahoma
City, OK suburb of Moore. This tornado caused more than $1 billion dollars in damage.
· The most tornadoes occurring over a period of time occurred on April 3rd and 4th, 1974. This tornado
outbreak, known as the “Super Outbreak”, produced 148 tornadoes in less than 24 hours from Michigan to
Alabama. Several cities in this outbreak were hit twice from separate tornadoes, including Harvest, AL,
which experienced an F5 tornado at 7:15 pm and an F4 tornado at 7:45 pm.

http://www.wildwildweather.com/united_states_tornado_history.pdf

Here in New York, on Long Island..........we used to get massive lightning/thudner storms here 20-30 years ago. Hardly ever happen anymore...........but they will again when the conditions are right. Thats the way weather is...........it always seems most fcukked up when its happening in the present. Who the hell can remember back to 2003 as referenced above.............seems like 1,000 years ago, plus, even back then, you didnt have this 24 hour update on severe weather you have now. Now its in your face every 5 mintues. Of course those who tend to the hysterical will become.............well..................hysterical.

We really need Gigantor..............

Rocks...........your limpwristed response to life leads me to one conclusion s0n. You're response to life events is gay

Last edited:
We need to send in Gigantor.......................

gigantor15hj3cx3-1.gif

LOL...........the hysterical ones will tell you this is the clear indication the earth is dying..............but this kind of pattern occurs every 50 years where you get the massive flooding you are seeing in the Ohio/Mississippi River area, accompanied with extreme tornado activity. The guy on the Weather Channel was talking about it two nights ago and in the "Bad News for the k00ks" thread I posted up, I threw up a link on HISTORY OF MIDWEST TORNADOS.

Just keeping up my role in here = to keep it real.

Or Voltron.

tumblr_lhgqwjq6Mu1qhtn5fo1_500.gif

Voltron is gay compared to Gigantor.................

Just as a follow up to Old Rocks assanine statement above.............you're talking about a guy who spends 5-6 days a week standing in a fcukking wood mill. I see death all the time for the last 30 years..........see tragedy ALL THE TIME. Just Friday morning last week 7am in the morning, I stood next to a gurney in a trauma room with two parents of their 28 year old disabled son who had just been pronounced.

Life is for the living s0ns............you never know when youre spending your last day on earth.

Meanwhile, here is Old Rocks using the deaths of some Americans to make it part of his "cause".........thats as fcukked up as it gets.

Wow...i have NO idea why everyone is putting Old Rocks down for that statement...
I actually agree with him. Why would anyone make jokes when so many people have died?? My son and family are in the path of these storms right now (Ft Bragg, NC) and i'm very worried!
Yes - there have been other years that we've had horrible tornados, but still not like there has been (that i can find) in just one month (actually only the last couple weeks!). We need to keep these people in our prayers....

Isn't La Nina also credited with a quieter hurricane season as we had last year?...
:confused:
Why twister outbreak? La Nina eyed as key factor
4/28/2011 - 1974's record tornadoes also happened during that periodic ocean cycle
The experts are still assessing just how many twisters tore across the South on Wednesday, but already the outbreak is being described as "historic" and possibly greater than the biggest one on record. Also being assessed are what factors went into the massive outbreak. A leading candidate: La Nina, the periodic ocean cycle that cools the waters off South America and can impact weather globally. Emerging research suggests La Nina's impact "cascades downstream into thunderstorms," Russell Schneider, director of the U.S. Storm Prediction Center, tells msnbc.com.

La Nina could be influencing where thunderstorms form in the tropics and what happens to the jet stream, he adds. In a La Nina, the jet stream tends to move north through the Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes, keeping cold air on the northern side while the southern side tends to have warm, humid air. Cold fronts that would dry out the atmosphere on the south side are blocked, which means wet storms there. And when a northern front pushes into the south, twisters can happen.

"This deadly event occurred because we had an unusually strong jet stream winds digging into the deep South with ample heat and moisture in place," says NBC News meteorologist Bill Karins. "The winds were also changing in direction with height (wind shear), giving any strong thunderstorm a significant chance of producing a tornado." Experts are also studying whether the transition out of a La Nina cycle adds to the impact. "We are emerging from a strong to moderate La Nina," Schneider notes. "It is unclear from current research if the transition phase is in part responsible for the statistical evidence of enhanced tornado activity."

The biggest recorded outbreak prior to Wednesday was on April 3, 1974 — 148 twisters touched down in 13 states, killing 310 people and injuring nearly 5,500. It, too, happened during a La Nina, adding weight to that argument. Given the limited data and the fact that reliable tornado records go back only to 1950, Schneider isn't ready to buy into another potential factor: global warming. Some climate experts believe more intense storms can be expected as temperatures warm, and they point to warming Gulf of Mexico waters as a potential factor in severe storms along the Gulf and in the South. But Schneider says the evidence is not there to "draw a distinct link between climate change and tornadoes."

More Why twister outbreak? La Nina eyed as key factor - Weather - msnbc.com

Last I heard, the toll was up to 290 known dead, prelimnary report of about 170 tornadoes, and many cities and towns with truly catastrophic damage. I so feel for those that are looking at a lifes work and items connected with family memories completely gone. Especially the older people with no time to rebuild.

The Pacific is cooling as La Nina ends. End of story.......we had the same shit occurring in the early 70's although the area's effected were further north in the Ohio valley.

Only the k00ks think that tornado's just started appearing in America after 1998!!!:coffee: Then again.........."life" is pretty fcukking traumatic when you spend 1/2 of your life stuck inside a wood mill in the middle of fcukking nowhere.:oops:

Last edited:
The Pacific is cooling as La Nina ends. End of story.......we had the same shit occurring in the early 70's although the area's effected were further north in the Ohio valley.

Only the k00ks think that tornado's just started appearing in America after 1998!!!:coffee: Then again.........."life" is pretty fcukking traumatic when you spend 1/2 of your life stuck inside a wood mill in the middle of fcukking nowhere.:oops:

The weather this spring has broken MANY records....go ahead and think what you want, i can't change that. The tornado's of the early 70's has been talked about alot on the weather stations and other news, and they're saying this is much worse then it was even then. It's big news because it's never happened this way before. I really don't care if people want to make up their reason why this is happening...there is a reason for it. But there is NO reason to make jokes about this event. So many lives have been destroyed...let's just keep them in our prayers, and pray that it doesn't continue!

If you want to make jokes, go to the politics threads, there's always something funny going on there!

Forum List

Back