2011 premiums

Greenbeard

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2010
New England
I'm sure most of us are familiar with the New Patient's Bill of Rights now in effect or going into effect. What is its impact on premiums in 2011 going to be? One would expect some degree of upward adjustment as the new benefits and rules are implemented. The cost estimates in the rules governing those provisions pegged the impact at a 1-2 percent increase in premiums.

A few weeks ago, HR consultants Hewitt Associates came out with their estimates based on plan data they've collected:

Hewitt estimates that the most immediate applications of health care reform—including covering dependents to age 26 and the elimination of certain lifetime and annual limits—contributed approximately 1 percent to 2 percent of the 8.8 percent projected increase for 2011.

Very much in line with OCIIO's calculations.

And now this week we have employee benefits consultant Mercer previewing the findings of its 2010 National Survey of Employer-Sponsored Health Plans:

Stephanie%20Poe%20Chart%2012.JPG

More than half of employers think the impact is less than 2%. In fact, more employers said ACA compliance would add no cost to their plans than indicated it would be 5% or more.

So next time you hear someone telling you health reform is behind their double digit premium increase for 2011, you might want to take it with a grain of salt.

One thing is certainly clear, at least one side is lying. I think i will have to fall back to my default position.

Everybody lies.

Hewitt and associates is one of the largest HR consulting / auditing firms in existence. Many of the major corporations use them.

The mandates are not free, and this does reflect disruptions due to plan changes to avoid these costs.

In short, Greenbeard and the rest of the liars are out in the open with their false claims of you being able to keep the insurance you have if you like it.

The liar uses stats, which don't reflect plan changes due to higher out of pockets, loss of tax deductions for FSAs when used for non-doctor ordered meds, and dropped coverages and disruptions for carriers no longer offering certain types of plans due to mandates for pre-existing condition coverage, and the waiver of cost sharing for those coverages for most employees.

In short, Greenbeard and the rest of the liars are hiding the decline.

Hewitt and associates is one of the largest HR consulting / auditing firms in existence. Many of the major corporations use them.

You do know that there is a real difference between employer costs, which are expected to raise under the new law, and the cost they pass on to their employees, do you not? That is why I see the OP as a lie, it assumes that the employer cost and the premiums paid by employees will rise at the same rate. I am sure that Hewitt is not saying this, because it is absurd, so somebody else is lying about this.

As I said, everybody lies.

You do know that there is a real difference between employer costs, which are expected to raise under the new law, and the cost they pass on to their employees, do you not? That is why I see the OP as a lie, it assumes that the employer cost and the premiums paid by employees will rise at the same rate. I am sure that Hewitt is not saying this, because it is absurd, so somebody else is lying about this.

As I said, everybody lies.

Greenbeard, aka Dr. Death, cherry picks some stats that seem to back up his lies.

People can be miserable, and shills like Greenbeard can pull some stats out of his ass that say everything is beautiful...the system works!

its interesting how the overwhelming argument against the health care law is "lies." even with documentation to support a claim, the right still can not look at an objective argument and respond. there is no way to logically argue against someone who believes that everything is a lie anyways.

People can be miserable, and shills like Greenbeard can pull some stats out of his ass that say everything is beautiful...the system works!

its interesting how the overwhelming argument against the health care law is "lies." even with documentation to support a claim, the right still can not look at an objective argument and respond. there is no way to logically argue against someone who believes that everything is a lie anyways.

Forum List

Back