2011 Colts - How do you think they will do...

I generally do not follow the odds. Anyone know what the odds were on the Colts before yesterday's surgery and the fact that his career may actually be over was announced?

Immie

Sep 9, 2011 9:26pm

Manning’s Neck Surgery Might Put a Crick in His Season, Doctors Say

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is out of the game after having neck surgery Thursday, his third surgical procedure in the past 19 months. In a statement released Thursday, the team said Manning had a “single level anterior fusion” procedure, which was “uneventful.”

Dr. Mark Knaub, a spinal surgeon at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, said recovery can take two to four months for someone with an average, non-strenuous job. But for an athlete playing a contact sport such as football, that recovery time can be much longer: up to nine months, in some cases. Knaub said that’s because doctors must make sure that the athlete’s bones have fused.

“Sometimes recovery is accelerated in professional athletes,” Knaub said. “But I’d be surprised if Manning made it back to the field this season.”

Manning’s Neck Surgery Might Put a Crick in His Season, Doctors Say - ABC News

I generally do not follow the odds. Anyone know what the odds were on the Colts before yesterday's surgery and the fact that his career may actually be over was announced?

Immie

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is out of the game after having neck surgery Thursday, his third surgical procedure in the past 19 months. In a statement released Thursday, the team said Manning had a “single level anterior fusion” procedure, which was “uneventful.”

Dr. Mark Knaub, a spinal surgeon at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, said recovery can take two to four months for someone with an average, non-strenuous job. But for an athlete playing a contact sport such as football, that recovery time can be much longer: up to nine months, in some cases. Knaub said that’s because doctors must make sure that the athlete’s bones have fused.

“Sometimes recovery is accelerated in professional athletes,” Knaub said. “But I’d be surprised if Manning made it back to the field this season.”

I actually don't expect to see Manning play this year at all. If he is out 2-3 months (or longer) then they could already be out of the playoff hunt before he is ready to play. At that point, it would be stupid to put him in a competitive position this year... of course, Indy could gamble and maybe trade him to a team that was in the hunt... EZ would love that! :eusa_shhh:

Immie

Immie

I actually don't expect to see Manning play this year at all. If he is out 2-3 months (or longer) then they could already be out of the playoff hunt before he is ready to play. At that point, it would be stupid to put him in a competitive position this year... of course, Indy could gamble and maybe trade him to a team that was in the hunt... EZ would love that! :eusa_shhh:

Immie

Yeah, maybe the Colts can get Ryan Leaf!

Immie

Sorry about your QB, EZ... :(

it depends on which Collins shows up, the one who took the giants to the super bowl, the one that took the titans to the championship game or, the one who flopped for a whole bunch of years.....

Current 'SportsBet' odds to win the 2012 Superbowl;

New England Patriots 5.35 to 1
Green Bay Packers 6.20 to 1
Philadelphia Eagles 7.50 to 1
San Diego Chargers 10 to 1
Pittsburgh Steelers 12 to 1
New Orleans Saints 13 to 1
New York Jets 14 to 1
Baltimore Ravens 15 to 1
Atlanta Falcons 16 to 1
Houston Texans 20 to 1
Dallas Cowboys 22 to 1
Indianapolis Colts 30 to 1
New York Giants 30 to 1
Detroit Lions 34 to 1
Chicago Bears 40 to 1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 42 to 1
St. Louis Rams 60 to 1
Arizona Cardinals 95 to 1
Minnesota Vikings 95 to 1
Kansas City Chiefs 100 to 1
San Francisco 49ers 100 to 1
Miami Dolphins 130 to 1
Washington Redskins 160 to 1
Denver Broncos 175 to 1
Tennessee Titans 180 to 1
Cleveland Browns 200 to 1
Jacksonville Jaguars 200 to 1
Buffalo Bills 220 to 1
Oakland Raiders 220 to 1
Seattle Seahawks 300 to 1
Cincinnati Bengals 450 to 1
Carolina Panthers 550 to 1

Those odds put them in the top 7 AFC teams, which would be pretty good (considering the loss of one of the best players in the game); but would JUST miss the playoffs. A disappointing year in Indy...

Immie

I hear Trent Dilfer is available. He's even got a ring. Better yet, Brett Favre.

Immie

Immie

I hear Trent Dilfer is available. He's even got a ring. Better yet, Brett Favre.

Immie

favre_brett2-291x300.jpg

No way in hell they would trade him.

I don't think so either. It was a just a little ribbing of EZ.

I'm kind of indifferent on the Colts. Don't really care either way, but I don't think they will trade him.

I fear, however, that Peyton's career may be over for good. I wish him a speedy and full recovery and a return to the game in the near future.

Immie

I'm kind of indifferent on the Colts. Don't really care either way, but I don't think they will trade him.

I fear, however, that Peyton's career may be over for good. I wish him a speedy and full recovery and a return to the game in the near future.

Immie

It's true he's not so young anymore. This could certainly hasten things in that direction. Probably be just as well for him. He's got plenty of money and can go on making 100 commercials a day for the next 30 years.

Didn't they just sign him for 5 years?

He did just get a big-ass contract recently. Even if this nudges him toward earlier than expected retirement after another 2 seasons or so, the guy is still the second best quarterback in the league and one of the greatest of all time. You don't cut loose that kind of talent without giving him a chance to come back from something like this.

Immie

It's true he's not so young anymore. This could certainly hasten things in that direction. Probably be just as well for him. He's got plenty of money and can go on making 100 commercials a day for the next 30 years.

While he may have a lot of money in your (and my eyes), it is sad to see that so many of our fallen sports heroes end up broke and homeless just a few years after retirement. Peyton seems like he has a level head on his shoulders. I hope he can manage his money well.

Although, even if his career is over, I think he has a future in football either as a coach or an announcer/analyst on TV.

Immie

Immie

While he may have a lot of money in your (and my eyes), it is sad to see that so many of our fallen sports heroes end up broke and homeless just a few years after retirement. Peyton seems like he has a level head on his shoulders. I hope he can manage his money well.

Although, even if his career is over, I think he has a future in football either as a coach or an announcer/analyst on TV.

Immie

He does good things with his money, donates to the places he's lived, New Orleans, Tennessee and Indy. Here, this is one of the things he's done here in Indy. :thup:

Welcome to the Peyton Manning Children

Immie

He does good things with his money, donates to the places he's lived, New Orleans, Tennessee and Indy. Here, this is one of the things he's done here in Indy. :thup:

Welcome to the Peyton Manning Children

I don't know anything about what he does for the community.

And, I am not talking about those kinds of things. What I am talking about is that they spend too much too fast. They buy expensive houses that they can't afford once they are no longer active with huge mortgages. Once their career is over they find themselves buried in major financial problems with no way out.

He can do all kinds of good things for the community, but once his career is over, if he hasn't planned for the fall, then he may find himself in trouble. Not all of them do, but it is tragic to see the ones that do. I hope he is not one of those.

Now Brett Favre on the other hand... ;) Nah j/k. Favre was one of those players I loved to "hate". :D I wish him the best of luck as well and will miss that damned smile of his on the field.

Immie

Forum List

Back