2010 Historic Snowstorm; Brutal Cold

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports it snowed in Louisville, Ky. The wind chill in Nashville will hit minus five degrees Monday night. In Raleigh, N.C., zero. In Atlanta the real feel will be two above zero. And in Miami — yes, Miami — the wind chill is dropping to a frigid 25 degrees.

In Indiana traction was hard to come by. Drifts as high as six feet caused major traffic delays and put lives at risk. More than 70 motorists were stuck for hours Monday in biting temperatures on snow-covered highways in northwest Indiana as strong winds hampered snow plow drivers' efforts to free them. By Monday afternoon, most had been rescued safely, but a few were still trapped by drifts.

Authorities said strong winds with gusts up to 30 mph were delaying rescue efforts.

"As soon as the plows go through an area, the wind is blowing fresh snow right back into the roads," state highway department spokesman Jim Pinkerton said. "It is just really difficult for us to keep up against that wind and snow."

The wind and heavy lake effect snow were part of a slow-moving storm that has been crawling across the Midwest since Friday night. At least 15 deaths have been attributed to the storm, which dumped nearly 2 feet of snow in parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin before moving into Michigan and Indiana. Monday, it stretched further east, with snow in parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.
It was the fifth biggest snowfall on record for the Twin Cities.

Midwest in Deep Freeze After Deadly Snowstorm - CBS News

short term weather is not climate. it is not evidence for either side.

Somewhere today, the temperature is above normal. I don't know where, but I am sure it is out there.

That is the deal with the weather. It is as variable as the weather.

I'm sorry for all of the folks who have been affected by cold and wind and snow. But please ... keep it out in the midwest.

Too late....record low temps are hitting the South.....Florida farmers are scrambling to protect their strawberries and citrus crops...

Numerous record lows were set in Florida on Tuesday morning, including 32 degrees in West Palm Beach and 20 degrees in Jacksonville. These temps might not seem extreme to the cold-weather veterans of the Midwest and Northeast, but in West Palm Beach, an average low Monday night would have been around 60.

Record freeze: Extreme weather battering East Coast – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Last edited:
I'm sorry for all of the folks who have been affected by cold and wind and snow. But please ... keep it out in the midwest.

Driving down to Florida's Atlantic coast (Cocoa Beach) from Indiana on Sunday we kept driving into "white out" conditions in Ky and Tn north of Nashville. I became concerned about that happening in the mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga and drove instead west over into Alabama and down, adding 200-miles to our otherwise 1,000 mile trip. I calculated that was the best insurance I could buy.

Anyone here who can verify some dangerous road conditions in Monteagle, Tennessee? BTW It's colder'n a witch's upper torso here in Cocoa Beach, Florida.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back