2010 Could Be Tough For Republicans

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
The 111th Congress has just barely begun as Senate Republicans brace for more grueling elections in 2010 that threaten to further weaken the party's influence in Congress.

The latest setback for the party came Monday, when Ohio Sen. George Voinovich -- the 72 year-old two-term GOP senator -- announced he will not seek reelection in 2010. That leaves Republicans with a highly vulnerable seat in a perennial swing state that has drifted Democratic in the last two elections.

Senate Republicans brace for ominous 2010 - CNN.com

As an Ohioan I'm extremely glad to hear that Senator Voinovich is going to retire, because that means I'll have more of a choice as to who to vote for. I wasn't going to be able to vote for Voinovich considering he voted for all the bailouts. Hopefully Republicans will get a real conservative to run, or maybe we'll have a good independent candidate.

Let's hope the CFL gets their asses in gear and gets a good candidate up.

The republicans should get more conservative, and nominate someone in ohio who is strongly in favor of free trade and more NAFTA type treaties.

Treaties are unnecessary when it comes to free trade. I support repealing NAFTA, CAFTA, and leaving the WTO.

I hope they get a good CFL candidate willing to run, and I know I'd be willing to help out with the campaign.

There's a grassroots movement trying to get Peter Schiff to run for the Senate in Connecticut in 2010. I'd like to see that happen, though I don't know if he'd run Independent or Republican.

Peter Schiff 2010 | U.S. Senator for Connecticut - Grassroots Portal

He may as well run Republican. Conservative Republicans are going to be looking for anything they can get.

Senate Republicans brace for ominous 2010 - CNN.com

As an Ohioan I'm extremely glad to hear that Senator Voinovich is going to retire, because that means I'll have more of a choice as to who to vote for. I wasn't going to be able to vote for Voinovich considering he voted for all the bailouts. Hopefully Republicans will get a real conservative to run, or maybe we'll have a good independent candidate.

Or, maybe a Democrat will win and then we'll have a filabuster proof majority.

All another Republican will do is obstruct progress and be irrelivent as a junior member in the minority party.

The bailout to the banks was a must. The bankers were threatening to shut the system down if we didn't give them the money. What radical idea did you come up with to deal with that?

Either

a. Not give them the money and let the world collapse, but then ultimately put everything back together, only millions would have lost their life savings in the process.

b. Have oversite and transparency and get a ROI. Make the bankers loan out that money to us rather than what they did, which was to only buy up all the other failing banks.

Obama says he will do B. Bush and Paulson just gave the bankers $350 billion and closed their eyes and let the bankers steal it. Absolutely pathetic.

And option A is no option at all.

What we really need to do is do away with the Federal Reserve. And put back the regulations that the GOP from 2000-2006 deregulated, because those regulations were in place to prevent such things from happening. Almost makes you think it was on purpose. Right before Bush left office, steal an additional $750 billion. Genious!!!

So the GOP totally fucked up the country and now before the Democrats even have a chance to fix it, you are already ready to go back to the GOP. You are a fool. No wonder they'll never change.

If the Dems mess up as bad as the GOP did, I'll be willing to consider voting for new Republicans.

For you, all the GOP has to do is say they are sorry and you'll forgive them. Heck, you already have.

Treaties are unnecessary when it comes to free trade. I support repealing NAFTA, CAFTA, and leaving the WTO.

Oh, okay. You think the repubs should nominate a ron paul type libertarian.

Its the same principle. I really don't think that "leave the markets alone" philosophy is going to sell in ohio. Supporting NAFTA in ohio, as the overwhelming majority of republicans do, would be political suicide. IMO

Or, maybe a Democrat will win and then we'll have a filabuster proof majority.

All another Republican will do is obstruct progress and be irrelivent as a junior member in the minority party.

The bailout to the banks was a must. The bankers were threatening to shut the system down if we didn't give them the money. What radical idea did you come up with to deal with that?

Either

a. Not give them the money and let the world collapse, but then ultimately put everything back together, only millions would have lost their life savings in the process.

b. Have oversite and transparency and get a ROI. Make the bankers loan out that money to us rather than what they did, which was to only buy up all the other failing banks.

Obama says he will do B. Bush and Paulson just gave the bankers $350 billion and closed their eyes and let the bankers steal it. Absolutely pathetic.

And option A is no option at all.

What we really need to do is do away with the Federal Reserve. And put back the regulations that the GOP from 2000-2006 deregulated, because those regulations were in place to prevent such things from happening. Almost makes you think it was on purpose. Right before Bush left office, steal an additional $750 billion. Genious!!!

So the GOP totally fucked up the country and now before the Democrats even have a chance to fix it, you are already ready to go back to the GOP. You are a fool. No wonder they'll never change.

If the Dems mess up as bad as the GOP did, I'll be willing to consider voting for new Republicans.

For you, all the GOP has to do is say they are sorry and you'll forgive them. Heck, you already have.

Well, if it's a good Democrat then I'd support that person as well.

The bank bailout was not a must, all Congress did was give crack to a drug addict going through withdrawal. They simply made the situation worse.

We do need to get rid of the Federal Reserve, but regulations are part of the problem as well and are not a solution.

Your partisan schtick is getting boring sealy.

A bit of historical perspective.

Bill Clinton went into office as president with about the same majority in the House and Senate that Obama now has .. two years later, the republicans were back in control of Congress.

Obama will bend over, drop his pants, and lead the republicans back into power.

Oh, okay. You think the repubs should nominate a ron paul type libertarian.

Its the same principle. I really don't think that "leave the markets alone" philosophy is going to sell in ohio. Supporting NAFTA in ohio, as the overwhelming majority of republicans do, would be political suicide. IMO

Absolutely I do, Paulie and I were just talking about the Campaign For Liberty which is Ron Paul's organization.

You're absolutely right, NAFTA and free trade is not popular in Ohio.

A bit of historical perspective.

Bill Clinton went into office as president with about the same majority in the House and Senate that Obama now has .. two years later, the republicans were back in control of Congress.

Obama will bend over, drop his pants, and lead the republicans back into power.

I would say you are probably correct.

...but with Sarah Palin leading the way, by golly, the Republicans have absolutely nothing to worry about.

The bank bailout was not a must, all Congress did was give crack to a drug addict going through withdrawal. They simply made the situation worse.

We do need to get rid of the Federal Reserve, but regulations are part of the problem as well and are not a solution.

Tim Ryan is going to be the next senator from Ohio, IMO, if the Dems get him to run.

As long as we face economic hardship, I don't think Ohioans are going to worry about guns and bibles as much as they did in the past. And they will nominate an anti-NAFTA, progressive candidate. I really don't think the libertarian message would sell in the rust belt. Just MO.

What regulations specifically are part of the problem? Bet you don't even have any examples. Why? Because you are just repeating a montra that was sold to you by some libertarian.

Get used to my partisan schtick Kevin, because my way is the way it is going to be for the next 2 years minimum.

You don't know what you are talking about with this "keep government out of it" schtick. You guys are morons and you need to be exposed. People like you, Libertards and Republokooks, act like the New Deal was a bad deal. It is what saved America. If you don't know what the New Deal was, it was the government helping put people back to work.

So in the next 4 years, Obama is going to use Federal $ to put people back to work fixing our infrastructure. And the next $350 billion is going to go directly to THE PEOPLE. The bankers can not horde/steal the next $350 billion like they stole the first $350 billion on Bush's watch.

Sorry if I talk too much about Republicans and Democrats when discussing our TWO PARTY SYSTEM!!!!

My bad.

And look at the topic. 2010 could be a tough year for Republicans. If what I'm saying is getting old, maybe you should take a break until 2009. :lol:

Tim Ryan is going to be the next senator from Ohio, IMO, if the Dems get him to run.

As long as we face economic hardship, I don't think Ohioans are going to worry about guns and bibles as much as they did in the past. And they will nominate an anti-NAFTA, progressive candidate. I really don't think the libertarian message would sell in the rust belt. Just MO.

By the time people start thinking about the 2010 elections I'm guessing, and hoping, that Ohioans, and all Americans, will be tired of the government's attempts to save the economy, and will be more open to a Libertarian message.

Absolutely I do, Paulie and I were just talking about the Campaign For Liberty which is Ron Paul's organization.

You're absolutely right, NAFTA and free trade is not popular in Ohio.

Ron Paul got less than 50,000 votes in Ohio.

Ohio is a state full of old, mostly red, white, and blue conservatives.

I wouldn't be expecting to much change to happen in Ohio.

What regulations specifically are part of the problem? Bet you don't even have any examples. Why? Because you are just repeating a montra that was sold to you by some libertarian.

Get used to my partisan schtick Kevin, because my way is the way it is going to be for the next 2 years minimum.

You don't know what you are talking about with this "keep government out of it" schtick. You guys are morons and you need to be exposed. People like you, Libertards and Republokooks, act like the New Deal was a bad deal. It is what saved America. If you don't know what the New Deal was, it was the government helping put people back to work.

So in the next 4 years, Obama is going to use Federal $ to put people back to work fixing our infrastructure. And the next $350 billion is going to go directly to THE PEOPLE. The bankers can not horde/steal the next $350 billion like they stole the first $350 billion on Bush's watch.

Sorry if I talk too much about Republicans and Democrats when discussing our TWO PARTY SYSTEM!!!!

My bad.

And look at the topic. 2010 could be a tough year for Republicans. If what I'm saying is getting old, maybe you should take a break until 2009. :lol:

sealy, I won't be wasting my time getting into any kind of large debate with you, I've learned my lesson.

Twist that to mean whatever you want it to mean.

Forum List

Back