2010 Census - "Negro"

TheSuaveOne

Man without a party
Jan 7, 2010
Chicago
16899.jpg

I wonder how long before this gets removed from the current census?

Discuss.

-TSO

Why should it be removed? If it just said "Negro" it would be a problem. It's on a list with "Black and African-American" providing options for how people choose to identify themselves.

"Caucasian" should be added next to "White" though for the same reason.

That's not the point. Because of the offensive connotation, if "Negro" were the only word listed it would definitely be a problem and need to be changed.

But because it's on a list with black and african-american, it is merely one in a list of options people use to self-identify. I know older black men who call themselves negroes, it's how they've always self-identified. Other options are listed for those who choose to self-identify as "black" or "African-American," the three being separated primarily as a generational thing. "Negro" is not inherently offensive like "******" and within this context has no reason to be construed that way.

I offer that there are white people who find "white" a silly, poorly descriptive reflection of their race for the same reason there are "black" people who feel that way about "black" to describe their race. Both are minorities of their respective populations, but given that the Census has included multiple options to provide accurate self-description for a variety of sensibilities, I think "Caucasian" should also be included next to white as "Hispanic/Latino" often is on forms and should be for the same reasons.

Forum List

Back