2009 Star Trek...How the hell did I miss this?

Damn good, isn't it? I only wish my dad had lived to see it, he was a big fan. He missed it by a few months. JJ did a nice job resetting the franchise for a new generation while keeping enough of the original lore to appeal to the old die hard fans.

That was an excellent movie. I watched and like the original TV series, but didn't get much into the movies and never watched all the next generations, but I thought that movie was awesome, especially on the big screen.

I would have preferred a movie that had some type of plot, didn't make someone who was on academic suspension from the academy a Captain, tried to have some type of connection to the Trek universe, and didn't gratuitously through in R2D2. But it was fun to watch.

YATI

• Banned
I thought it had an excellent plot.

Captain Kirk saves the world, with Spock.

Works for me. Loved the back and forth across time continuum thing...though it got sort of hard for me to track, lol.

I also LOVED the Spoke/Ulhura thing! I thought that was cuter than shit!

But the special effects are what made it.

And the humor, and the acting..which was actually quite good.

I loved the snow monsters, and kirk running screaming from them, that was tremendous. Flash back to Galaxy Quest!

It was just an outstanding escapist movie.

And everybody was very easy on the eyes. There's that.

I loved it! It's good old fashioned fun on the big screen.

The weakest bits were the scenes with Leonard Nimoy; not much sizzle there.

The new Scotty is adorable.

Agreed. It has that cheap "Pam Dreamed Bobby Died" aspect about it for getting out of tough plot situations set up by the series and other movies.

But other than that - it was a fun movie.

and they could have done the whole thing without using an alternative time line.....

I would have loved seeing Kirk and Finnegan in the academy, his service on the Republic and the Farragut. Instead we had to throw away all that history and believe he became who he is because of fate.

Harry Dresden said:
and they could have done the whole thing without using an alternative time line.....

True, but by using the the altered timeline plot device they have been able to inject new life into a franchise that pretty much on it's deathbed. The changes forced by the Romulan aren't overly damaging to Trek lore, everyone is where they're supposed to be, even Pike is in his wheelchair. This one of the few times where I can actually get behind this type of plot device. It hasn't necessarily negated all we new of ST:OS growing up, it's just all been reset.

I would have loved seeing Kirk and Finnegan in the academy, his service on the Republic and the Farragut. Instead we had to throw away all that history and believe he became who he is because of fate.

and a guy who gets to be a Captain of a Star Ship before he even made it to full Commander and a Ist Officer.......:eusa_eh:

Harry Dresden said:

True, but by using the the altered timeline plot device they have been able to inject new life into a franchise that pretty much on it's deathbed. The changes forced by the Romulan aren't overly damaging to Trek lore, everyone is where they're supposed to be, even Pike is in his wheelchair. This one of the few times where I can actually get behind this type of plot device. It hasn't necessarily negated all we new of ST:OS growing up, it's just all been reset.

the only reason the series was going downhill Mick was because of the guys running the show....Rick Berman and Co.......when they did the Enterprise series they turned off the core fans by making up their own timeline.....and the core fans are what kept the ratings in the other shows where they were......when you have a show that has the History that Trek has.....you dont change everything around to suite how you want the show to be......Kirk never knew how the "Royal" Klingons looked.....but Archer a Century before him did.....trash....that ridiculous series killed the franchise....

Harry Dresden said:

the only reason the series was going downhill Mick was because of the guys running the show....Rick Berman and Co.......when they did the Enterprise series they turned off the core fans by making up their own timeline.....and the core fans are what kept the ratings in the other shows where they were......when you have a show that has the History that Trek has.....you dont change everything around to suite how you want the show to be......Kirk never knew how the "Royal" Klingons looked.....but Archer a Century before him did.....trash....that ridiculous series killed the franchise....

Yeah. I am not even a hard core Trekkie and I though that series was killing the show. You can tell they thought the same thing by the way they reset it at the end, essentially wiping out the entire alternate time line they developed.

As a life long Gen 1 fan, I was pleased to see a adaptation that was free of the historic restraints of Trekkies
Retcon is a nothing new, its where islam came from

Harry Dresden said:

Yeah. My wife and I had high hopes for Enterprise, and I was even into the whole Temporal Cold War thing as a way to explain any discrepencies that came up. It was just really silly and boring. My wife and I barely hung with it.

I still say though that Enterprise was pretty much the only way to go after Voyager kinda flopped. Next Gen was awesome, but effectively ended the idea that Star Trek would be about the exploration of the unknown. DS9 went deep into the political maneuvering of the quadrant. Voyager tried to recapture the essence of Classic Trek but botched it. Enterprise represented a second attempt to get back to exploration.

However, once Enterprise killed the franchise, JJ Abram's take was the only out. And it was pretty awesome. It definitely recaptured the spirit of Classic Trek. Don't think about it too hard or you'll go crazy over some bad science, but that's true about Classic Trek.

Forum List

Back