2008: Rick Santorum on "mainline Protestantism" in the U.S.

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
"We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic. But the Judeo-Christian ethic -- sure the Catholics had some influence -- but this was a Protestant country. And the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is a shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

From a presentation at Ave Maria University in Florida

• Banned
Aren't we so lucky to have a presidential candidate who is not afraid to declare publicly that millions of religious Americans who consider themselves Christians are in fact "gone from the world of Christianity" ....

And this is better than Obama's bitter clinger homily or Obama's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in what way?

Maybe, if so, people like him killed it more assuredly than any creeping secularism ever did.

And in more recent news ....

Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator known for his social conservative views, said Obama's agenda is based on "some phony theology. Not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology."

Rick Santorum questions Obama's Christian values

Doesn't Santorum realize people are listening? :eek:

If that guy thinks that the hatred he practices is based in the bible he needs to go back to Sunday school, a decent one this time.

Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator known for his social conservative views, said Obama's agenda is based on "some phony theology. Not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology."

Many people question Obama's Christian values. He is for tax-payer funded abortion on demand.

But hey, carry on with your phoney outrage.

• Banned

Many people question Obama's Christian values. He is for tax-payer funded abortion on demand.

But hey, carry on with your phoney outrage.

I question much Obama has said about religion. I don't think it's appropriate for a presidential candidate to talk about large swaths of his would-be constituency in the way that Obama spoke of religious people in the heartland.

And I don't appreciate the way Obama used the National Prayer Breakfast as a political platform.

And it is on the same grounds that I don't think that Santorum as a presidential candidate should be talking dismissively about the religion of millions of people he would presume to lead one day.

Obama got away with it. I don't know how. But Santorum won't get away with it. And shouldn't get away with it. It may get him the Republican nomination. But for each Tea Partier he picks up with his exclusionary dogmatic speech, he is losing multiple average Americans who don't want a theocracy.

"We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic. But the Judeo-Christian ethic -- sure the Catholics had some influence -- but this was a Protestant country. And the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is a shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

And this is wrong, because?

Not a religious guy, but really, you see these mainstream Protestant Churches that don't teach about Hell anymore and don't really want to offend anyone by preaching this "morality" stuff. They just want to get invited to the Interfaith Pancake Breakfast without anyone whinging about what a bunch of meanies they are.

Okay, Amelia, this is the fourth "Not Romney" I've seen you go after on these boards. And I'm really thinking that the problem is not with the "Not Romneys" themselves, but with the fact that your list of reasons for wanting to nominate Romeny are actually rather short.

He's good at business
He's Electable.

I dont think either of those are really true, or what we need right now.

Um, yeah, if you go to a CHurch where the pastor is shreiking "God Damn America!" and "AIDS is a government plot!" I would call that a pretty phony theology.

And it probably doesn't have cool magic underoos like your guy has.

It's wrong in a moral sense because he is questioning the sincerity of the faith of millions of Americans. Santorum has every right to privately define "Christian" in as exclusionary a way as he wishes, but he should respect the sincerity of belief of Protestants, even if he wishes to criticize their practices.

Not a religious guy, but really, you see these mainstream Protestant Churches that don't teach about Hell anymore and don't really want to offend anyone by preaching this "morality" stuff. They just want to get invited to the Interfaith Pancake Breakfast without anyone whinging about what a bunch of meanies they are.

Okay, Amelia, this is the fourth "Not Romney" I've seen you go after on these boards. And I'm really thinking that the problem is not with the "Not Romneys" themselves, but with the fact that your list of reasons for wanting to nominate Romeny are actually rather short.

He's good at business
He's Electable.

Which 4 not-Romneys have you seen me go after?

He's good at business
He's Electable.

Perry, Cain, Newt and RIck. That I've seen.

Once again, Santorum isn't afraid to speak the truth...

I remember a preacher once saying he was hoping Africa would soon send some missionaries over here. :)

The U.S. is 78% Christian, that means 4 out of 5 people that you interact with every day should be striving to embody the teachings of Jesus.

Do you see that in your interactions, because I certainly don't.

Santorum speaks his mind, that's a feather in his cap...not a flaw.

Romney says whatever he thinks will get him elected.

Last edited:

He's good at business
He's Electable.

Perry, Cain, Newt and RIck. That I've seen.

This is not the first time you've accused me of going after Cain. I did a quick skim through past posts and was reminded of another time when you said that while I was still defending Cain.

I also do not recall going after Perry. [Edit: ah, are you referring to my post upon learning about the Willingham case?]

I've been bashing Newt merrily along - with the exception of a short span when he briefly won me over much to my surprise before he showed himself to be the same person I had long despised.

And now I'm going after Santorum.

I did used to go after Bachmann, back before I started posting here. Her elementary school level history gaffes were excrutiatingly painful.

And I went after Huckabee back then.

My reason for going after Santorum is related to my reason for going after Huckabee. I don't like politicians who talk about religion so much.

Last edited:

Wars and other conflicts amongst the various Christian sects/denominations were the primary inspiration for our separation of church and state.

I guess Santorum didn't get the memo.

Aren't we so lucky to have a presidential candidate who is not afraid to declare publicly that millions of religious Americans who consider themselves Christians are in fact "gone from the world of Christianity" ....

And this is better than Obama's bitter clinger homily or Obama's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in what way?

He's stating that the protestant ethic is gone from the world of Christianity. And in large part it is.

People can proclaim themselves Chrisians all they want, regardless of denomination. But unless they repent and change their lives and develop the virtues and character traits that Christ taught, their profession is pointless.

This nation is the nation it is because Christians were awakened to their duties before God and their fellow man. Until that is restored, the liberty of this nation cannot be restored.

In the Evangelical Protestant church I grew up in, Catholics were considered the spawn of Satan and were bashed at least one Sunday a month.

the differences are simply huge.

Forum List

Back