2008: Rick Santorum on "mainline Protestantism" in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    "We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic. But the Judeo-Christian ethic -- sure the Catholics had some influence -- but this was a Protestant country. And the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is a shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

From a presentation at Ave Maria University in Florida

2. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Aren't we so lucky to have a presidential candidate who is not afraid to declare publicly that millions of religious Americans who consider themselves Christians are in fact "gone from the world of Christianity" ....

And this is better than Obama's bitter clinger homily or Obama's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in what way?

3. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    Maybe, if so, people like him killed it more assuredly than any creeping secularism ever did.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    And in more recent news ....

Rick Santorum questions Obama's Christian values

Doesn't Santorum realize people are listening? :eek:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    If that guy thinks that the hatred he practices is based in the bible he needs to go back to Sunday school, a decent one this time.

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,776
    Many people question Obama's Christian values. He is for tax-payer funded abortion on demand.

But hey, carry on with your phoney outrage.

7. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

I question much Obama has said about religion. I don't think it's appropriate for a presidential candidate to talk about large swaths of his would-be constituency in the way that Obama spoke of religious people in the heartland.

And I don't appreciate the way Obama used the National Prayer Breakfast as a political platform.

And it is on the same grounds that I don't think that Santorum as a presidential candidate should be talking dismissively about the religion of millions of people he would presume to lead one day.

Obama got away with it. I don't know how. But Santorum won't get away with it. And shouldn't get away with it. It may get him the Republican nomination. But for each Tea Partier he picks up with his exclusionary dogmatic speech, he is losing multiple average Americans who don't want a theocracy.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,008
    And this is wrong, because?

Not a religious guy, but really, you see these mainstream Protestant Churches that don't teach about Hell anymore and don't really want to offend anyone by preaching this "morality" stuff. They just want to get invited to the Interfaith Pancake Breakfast without anyone whinging about what a bunch of meanies they are.

Okay, Amelia, this is the fourth "Not Romney" I've seen you go after on these boards. And I'm really thinking that the problem is not with the "Not Romneys" themselves, but with the fact that your list of reasons for wanting to nominate Romeny are actually rather short.

He's good at business
    He's Electable.

I dont think either of those are really true, or what we need right now.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,008
    Um, yeah, if you go to a CHurch where the pastor is shreiking "God Damn America!" and "AIDS is a government plot!" I would call that a pretty phony theology.

And it probably doesn't have cool magic underoos like your guy has.

10. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    It's wrong in a moral sense because he is questioning the sincerity of the faith of millions of Americans. Santorum has every right to privately define "Christian" in as exclusionary a way as he wishes, but he should respect the sincerity of belief of Protestants, even if he wishes to criticize their practices.