2007: A Mixed Review

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
A Mixed Review for '07
By Suzanne Fields
December 31, 2007

It was neither the best of times nor the worst of times, to steal an opening line from Dickens. It was neither the age of wisdom nor the age of foolishness. We mixed belief with incredulity, light with darkness, enjoyed good and feared evil. Looking back on 2007, we mixed comparisons as if on a see-saw.

Suicide bombing looked to be less fashionable in the Middle East, but the assassination of Benazir Bhutto stunned everyone, reminding us that evil is always lurking in the shadows.

If the Iraq War once looked unwinnable, it now appears that the surge is working. It's no longer the single most important issue in the quickening presidential campaign. When Hillary Clinton bet on her vote for the war to help in the general election, she didn't foresee the extent to which it would hurt her with the bizarre far left in her own party in the run-up to the nomination.

for full article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071231/EDITORIAL02/624263511/1013/EDITORIAL

This was the year celebrity became double-edged. Barbara Streisand, working the crowds for Hillary, looked anemic on the hustings, judged against Oprah in the battle of the divas. Voters may be asking why anyone should think an entertainer knows any more about a candidate or an issue than a Volkswagen mechanic or the check-out clerk at the supermarket. The stars attract attention, but do they change minds? They bring out the crowds, but do they bring out the votes? They may spread sunshine (or at least noise), but can they impart information? Celebrities can raise the profile of a candidate or an issue, but they can't shape reactions to policies or furnish solutions to complicated problems, particularly foreign policy. Celebrities carry heavy baggage and agendas.
As far as that goes, I think celebrities just bring in people to political events. Some people won't vote, others won't change their mind based on what a celeb says. At least I wouldn't think so.

Generally I agree, but it sure does seem to me that Oprah's support made quite a difference in Obama's campaign. Following her appearances on his behalf, he overtook Hillary and knocked her out of the batting box (I can only hope for good!).

Forum List

Back