$200 mil and 10 years for Pujols?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Miami Marlins increase offer to Albert Pujols to 10 years and more than $200 million - chicagotribune.com

You have to be joking! This will go down as one of the worst signings in sports history.

First, Pujols is 32 that means he will be 42 when his deal is up. Traditionally players start breaking down at 33-34. During the steriod era players, like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Big Mac, Palmerio all prolonged their career via steroids. You remember when Clemens broke down in Boston and then had a MIRACLE career revival in Toronto and then carrying it onto NY and Houston. Without steroids he would have been on a sharp decline after Boston. This is the steroid era, even if Pujols used them in the past, he won't have them now and when he moves onto the wrong side of 35. He will break down.

Second, Pujols isn't Cal Ripken. He isn't an iron-man playing every game. In fact, the last few season he has sat out at least a quarter to a half of the games. With him getting older their is no reason to believe that won't continue.

Third, 10 year contracts usually never work out. See ARoid in Texas. ARod, didn't get injured, played to MVP level, but the contract was so large and so long it crippled the organization and this might have been the most successful contract that was 8-10 years. See how bad the Soriano contract is for the Cubs. The list is endless of failure and tiny for success!

Fourth, while Pujols has been the best in baseball, he had his worst season last year. It might be a fluke, but I doubt he will even live up the $20 mil a season he will be paid. At 20 mil minim 40+ HR, 120+ RBI and .310+ BA and solid defense is a must! Those are tough numbers for year in and year out to achieve.

Logic goes out the window in these situations. There's no point in trying to understand it or debate it, dispute it, whatever.

Logic goes out the window in these situations. There's no point in trying to understand it or debate it, dispute it, whatever.

I hope he signs in STL for $220 over 10 years. Either way I preferred the Cubs going after Fielder anyways!

Supposedly if the Marlins sign Pujols then Goya(?) will purchase Miami's stadium naming rights and the revenue from that will cover the expense of Pujols' entire 10 contract within three or four years.

Pujols, Angels agree to $254 million, 10-year deal *| ajc.com

He goes to the Angels for 10 years, $254 million. Plus they signed C.J. Wilson. Angels looking pretty tough, and they'd better be after spending this kind of money.

Ever hear of Pavano, Dreifort, Hampton, Zito etc? All guys that had killer years, got huge deals and then flopped on their asses! Each team regretted it big time. I have no doubt LA will with Wilson.

And Pujols? He was caught juicing (and there is no doubt he did). When is the last season he played an entire season? He is an injury prone player. At 32 I predict he starts breaking down and declining at 35. LA will still be on the hook for 7 more season at $25 mil a piece.

Pujols is an asshole. He said the Cards insulted him by offering a $200 mil over 10 years. In 3 years that would have been a horrendous deal. He insulted them for such greedy demands! Poohole is becoming the LBJ for baseball!

I don't care what professional athletes or actors/actresses/tv stars make. It's none of my fucking business.

With that said, when the fuck did the Florida Marlins turn into the "Miami Marlins"? That just sounds fucking stupid.

The way things are looking America will soon be printing $100,000,000 notes like Zimbabwe
images

which can buy one egg

I don't care what professional athletes or actors/actresses/tv stars make. It's none of my fucking business.

With that said, when the fuck did the Florida Marlins turn into the "Miami Marlins"? That just sounds fucking stupid.

It probably has to do with the fact that the city of Miami is paying for the new stadium and that being named to represent the whole state isn't really appropriate anymore since Tampa Bay got their own team. I couldn't care less though, honestly.

I don't care what they get paid either, rather I don't want to hear the crying in LA when Pujols' deal is considered the worst in MLB history. I just wish he signed with STL, won't mind seeing the Cubs rival get crippled for a decade by one contract!

I don't care what they get paid either, rather I don't want to hear the crying in LA when Pujols' deal is considered the worst in MLB history. I just wish he signed with STL, won't mind seeing the Cubs rival get crippled for a decade by one contract!

Any time someone asks why professional athletes like baseball players make so much money, I usually use this point.

1: If you can find some way to have 30,000-50,000 people shell out anywhere from $25-$2500 a pop to watch YOU do YOUR job 162 times a year, AND have some network pay to televise your job, then YOU can make as much money as they do.

He goes to the Angels for 10 years, $254 million. Plus they signed C.J. Wilson. Angels looking pretty tough, and they'd better be after spending this kind of money.

Ever hear of Pavano, Dreifort, Hampton, Zito etc? All guys that had killer years, got huge deals and then flopped on their asses! Each team regretted it big time. I have no doubt LA will with Wilson.

And Pujols? He was caught juicing (and there is no doubt he did). When is the last season he played an entire season? He is an injury prone player. At 32 I predict he starts breaking down and declining at 35. LA will still be on the hook for 7 more season at $25 mil a piece.

Pujols is an asshole. He said the Cards insulted him by offering a $200 mil over 10 years. In 3 years that would have been a horrendous deal. He insulted them for such greedy demands! Poohole is becoming the LBJ for baseball!

A few things.

First and foremost, settle down, Beavis.

Next, when was Pujols caught using steroids? I'm a sports junkie and I've never heard this story. "And there is no doubt he did" .... huh? What the fuck are you talking about?

Finally...

When is the last season he played an entire season? He is an injury prone player.

In 2010 he played in 159 games. Is that close enough to a full season for you? In fact he AVERAGES 155 games a season and has never played fewer than 143 games (he set career highs in homers and rbi's that year). So again....What the fuck are you talking about?

Look, I think paying a guy 25 mil a year into his early 40's is as dumb as the next guy but you just sound like a butthurt hater who has no clue what he is talking about in this thread.

First, Pujols is 32 that means he will be 42 when his deal is up.

You mean he says hes 32 - which means he is at least 32. There is always doubt when you are dealing with the birth dates of latin players. I have some contacts inside mlb and they have their doubts about him.

The difference being this wasn't a one shot deal for Wilson. He's been pretty solid for a couple of years now, it's just that nobody noticed. The national media gave Cliff Lee credit for making Wilson better in '10, but Wilson was good when Lee got there.

That all said, you never really know what a change of scenery will do for a guy. Different stadium, different team, different media. It's all part of the puzzle. I don't expect Wilson to have a monster year next year, but I think he'll do okay.

As for Pujols, I think others in the thread have already said it for me.

Forum List

Back