20% Unemployment.. for youth

Older folks are now working in the traditional youth jobs.
It started during the last jobless recovery.

Older folks are now working in the traditional youth jobs.
It started during the last jobless recovery.

Manufacturing jobs going .. going...

I agree older folks are forced to take service industry jobs..

From Henninger's column: " In the final month of 2009, these were European unemployment rates for people under 25:
Belgium, 22.6;
Spain, 44.5;
France, 25.2;
Italy, 26.2;
the U.K., 19;
Sweden, 26.9;
Finland, 23.5.

[A deviation from those high rates is]
Germany, at 10% [which] uses an "apprentice" system to bring young people into the work force, though that system has come under stress for a most relevant reason: a shortage in Germany of private-sector jobs. "

The killer for youth opportunities in America is, primarily I think, the minimum wage law. It keeps youth out of the types of jobs that they can do with their limited skills, and work experience.

My experience in my construction company was this: I would prefer to pay more than minimum wage for some experience in the field. This shut out people with little or no experience. Those in the age group from say 17 to 21 too often so lacked experience that minimum wage was much more than they were worth to me.

They required so much supervision and direction from me or from others who I had to pay to provide that supervision, that what they could produce was not worth what they had to be paid. Even shovelling out a ditch, or doing site clean-up, can better be done by someone with a complete skill set than a person completely unused to production.

Even construction work includes all kinds of manual tasks which are too complex to accomplish without at least some experience. The most useful many of them can be is to just be "go-fer"s, to pay attention to the organization of the work so that they can act as my "legs" or just be "handy", to lend a hand at critical moments, but otherwise just be available for those events. Until they have learned the nomenclature, the sequence of events required in operations, some skill with the tools of the trade, too many of the people in the aforementioned age group are almost more a hindrance than a help.

Therefore the minimum wage law tends to keep them unemployed or from getting that first job which would be so valuable in learning to work cooperatively with others, show up on time, learn to listen and take complex orders, keep their minds on what they are about.

I always found it more useful and efficient to have a couple of "skilled" workers, perhaps paying them twice minimum wage, and then rely on "casual" laborers at relatively high labor rates (3 or 4 times minimum wage) but using them only to take up slack, or for jobs which my other people might not produce top quality work.

But instead of doing that we are getting politicians who are seriously contemplating making "internships" no longer permissable to those people young enough to have personal situations in which they have living accommodations (at home with parents) with which they could work to learn a field that otherwise will be denied them.

Last edited:
From Henninger's column: " In the final month of 2009, these were European unemployment rates for people under 25:
Belgium, 22.6;
Spain, 44.5;
France, 25.2;
Italy, 26.2;
the U.K., 19;
Sweden, 26.9;
Finland, 23.5.

[A deviation from those high rates is]
Germany, at 10% [which] uses an "apprentice" system to bring young people into the work force, though that system has come under stress for a most relevant reason: a shortage in Germany of private-sector jobs. "

The killer for youth opportunities in America is, primarily I think, the minimum wage law. It keeps youth out of the types of jobs that they can do with their limited skills, and work experience.

My experience in my construction company was this: I would prefer to pay more than minimum wage for some experience in the field. This shut out people with little or no experience. Those in the age group from say 17 to 21 too often so lacked experience that minimum wage was much more than they were worth to me.

They required so much supervision and direction from me or from others who I had to pay to provide that supervision, that what they could produce was not worth what they had to be paid. Even shovelling out a ditch, or doing site clean-up, can better be done by someone with a complete skill set than a person completely unused to production.

Even construction work includes all kinds of manual tasks which are too complex to accomplish without at least some experience. The most useful many of them can be is to just be "go-fer"s, to pay attention to the organization of the work so that they can act as my "legs" or just be "handy", to lend a hand at critical moments, but otherwise just be available for those events. Until they have learned the nomenclature, the sequence of events required in operations, some skill with the tools of the trade, too many of the people in the aforementioned age group are almost more a hindrance than a help.

Therefore the minimum wage law tends to keep them unemployed or getting that first job which would be so valuable in learning to work cooperatively with others, show up on time, learn to listen and take complex orders, keep their minds on what they are about.

I always found it more useful and efficient to have a couple of "skilled" workers, perhaps paying them twice minimum wage, and then rely on "casual" laborers at relatively high labor rates (3 or 4 times minimum wage) but using them only to take up slack, or for jobs which my other people might not produce top quality work.

But instead of doing that we are getting politicians who are seriously contemplating making "internships" no longer permissable to those people young enough to have personal situations in which they have living accommodations (at home with parents) with which they could work to learn a field that otherwise will be denied them.

With the added burden of safety concerns your dilemma is close to impossible, great post, thanks..

The Obama economy, just not working out to well for the young folks..

But the aspect of this mess I find more disturbing is the numbers around what economists call "youth unemployment." The U.S. unemployment rate for workers under 25 years old is about 20%.

Daniel Henninger: Joblessness: The Kids Are Not Alright - WSJ.com

The "Obama" economy? Really Lumpy? Outsourcing began under Reagan, and it was his economic policies that raised or foreign debt to the degree that it started. Bush and company were in power for the eight long years it took to plow the fields with salt. You might want to give Obama a minute (or at least a full term) to try and repair the damage done.

Anyone remember the "mobile workforce of the 21'st century" And who spouted it?

I don't, but I'll guess: Clinton? He gifted us with NAFTA...

Umm check out who started Nafta. Clinton just did the final steps.

Remember now I voted for Ross.

Well, I voted for Clinton (both times) and while I don't regret that at all, I wasn't happy with everything he agreed to. Meanwhile, the answer is poppa Bush, H.W., the first.

Anyone remember the "mobile workforce of the 21'st century" And who spouted it?

I don't, but I'll guess: Clinton? He gifted us with NAFTA...

Umm check out who started Nafta. Clinton just did the final steps.

Remember now I voted for Ross.

Does it matter who started it? Or who finished it? If so, you have to assign every piece of bipartisan legislation or every treaty signed to the one who thought up the idea. Obviously several administrations have considered and thought about NAFTA and its sister work CAFTA just as Europe has been decades putting together a workable interactive market system. Who do you blame for that?

Wouldn't it make more sense to focus now on whether it is or is not working? Wherther it has or has not produced more benefits than liabilities? And who is and who isn't in favor of continuing it as it now stands?

I would like a comprehensive and non partisan analysis of whether the minimum wage benefits or does not benefit the youth. Whether it does or does not benefit adults? Whether it does or does not benefit blacks?

If a higher number of youth are out of work than are adults, it would only make sense to look at whether adults are taking jobs that the kids would normally do.

If a higher percentage of blacks or any other demographic group are out of work than are other groups, why?

Or we spend our time pointing fingers and accusing and trying to decide whose sins are blackest and miss what needs to be done to fix the problem.

And who we need to elect to do whatever needs to be done to fix it.

Belgium, 22.6;
Spain, 44.5;
France, 25.2;
Italy, 26.2;
the U.K., 19;
Sweden, 26.9;
Finland, 23.5.

Actually, I'm surprised US unemployment isn't HIGHER for youth: The fact is, the EU simply has very few youths since procreation has become unfashionable. In contrast the US population between the ages of 18-25 is booming.

Apparently, flipping hamburgers, and other service oriented jobs remain open despite Federal Minimum wage ($7.25/hr). I do agree, however, there would be even more opportunity for employment if politicians were not continually pandering to the economically stupid. If the labor market was allowed to supply a demand without false government inspired price supports, more unskilled laborers would work.

Of course, THEN, the social couch, which was only supposed to be a "safety net" called welfare, would also need to be removed because the margin between being paid for doing no labor, and doing a little labor, would be closed (see Europe) and youth wouldn't bother to work.

Last edited:
The Obama economy, just not working out to well for the young folks..

But the aspect of this mess I find more disturbing is the numbers around what economists call "youth unemployment." The U.S. unemployment rate for workers under 25 years old is about 20%.

Daniel Henninger: Joblessness: The Kids Are Not Alright - WSJ.com

The "Obama" economy? Really Lumpy? Outsourcing began under Reagan, and it was his economic policies that raised or foreign debt to the degree that it started. Bush and company were in power for the eight long years it took to plow the fields with salt. You might want to give Obama a minute (or at least a full term) to try and repair the damage done.

Well now.. just pointing out that we're in the Obama economy now. I might add that I see diddley squat on improvement trends or action by the Obama regime in that direction. But you do make valid points.. Full term... I suppose but you can hold your breath for positive change, I expect the reverse..

If a higher percentage of blacks or any other demographic group are out of work than are other groups, why?

Or we spend our time pointing fingers and accusing and trying to decide whose sins are blackest and miss what needs to be done to fix the problem.

I'm sure you didn't mean to use "black" to describe both African Americans and the Worst of Sin....:eusa_whistle:

At any rate, African Americans primarily live in large urban areas where the Feds have set up shop to pander to all urbanized voting blocks, including Blacks, with grants, programs, and a wide array of services designed to maintain a minimum level of welfare, and civil obedience.

Well now.. just pointing out that we're in the Obama economy now. I might add that I see diddley squat on improvement trends or action by the Obama regime in that direction. But you do make valid points.. Full term... I suppose but you can hold your breath for positive change, I expect the reverse..

Diddley Squat can be an illusive character, but once you get to know him, he's a friend for life.

I'm sure you didn't mean to use "black" to describe both African Americans and the Worst of Sin....:eusa_whistle:

At any rate, African Americans primarily live in large urban areas where the Feds have set up shop to pander to all urbanized voting blocks, including Blacks, with grants, programs, and a wide array of services designed to maintain a minimum level of welfare, and civil obedience.

No, I didn't mean to use 'black' to describe both African Americans and the worst of sin, which is why I didn't do that. Or even implied that. The comment regarding 'sins' at least to me referred to the focus of those members who don't want to discuss the situations that exist for all the folks on my list, but who rather want to assign sin (or fault or blame or responsibility) to somebody and avoid discussing what created the problems that exist.

So if you are right that it is in fact the welfare state itself that is the underlying reason for a disproportionate number of black Americans being out of work, wouldn't it make sense to focus on that?

No, I didn't mean to use 'black' to describe both African Americans and the worst of sin, which is why I didn't do that. Or even implied that. The comment regarding 'sins' at least to me referred to the focus of those members who don't want to discuss the situations that exist for all the folks on my list, but who rather want to assign sin (or fault or blame or responsibility) to somebody and avoid discussing what created the problems that exist.

So if you are right that it is in fact the welfare state itself that is the underlying reason for a disproportionate number of black Americans being out of work, wouldn't it make sense to focus on that?

I seriously didn't think you were disparaging "Black," but some have made the arguement that the term "Black" has many negative connotations (e.g. Black Magic) that could be applied by the most ignorant to "Black" People.

At any rate, we need to focus on BOTH discoraging the lifetime use of welfare, and allowing the market to determine the minimum wage.

Forum List

Back