$20 Fine for public Profanity

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks.

"I'm really happy about it," Mimi Duphily, a store owner and former town selectwoman, said after the vote. "I'm sure there's going to be some fallout, but I think what we did was necessary."

Massachusetts town OKs $20 fine for swearing in public

How the hell does this protect the public. Fines should be for public safety issues not for offensive language.

Nanny staters. Unreal. Perhaps next a dress code for being in public. Like uniforms...maybe brown shirts?

That violates Free Speech. Polite speech doesn't need protection, offensive speech does.

If someone doesn't like that kind of language in their private business then they have the right to boot them out, but this concerns Public Areas.

If the people of that town had brains they'd all get together in the town square and yell "F*CK"!

What language laws come next? Gotta' stop that sh*t now.

My sister used to swear loudly in regular conversation at places like Chili's and Applebees. Not horribly loud - loud enough to be heard by surrounding tables though. Sometimes I'd say hey, there are kids at the next table over.

I don't believe profanity is meant to be part of the polite dinner experience.

My sister used to swear loudly in regular conversation at places like Chili's and Applebees. Not horribly loud - loud enough to be heard by surrounding tables though. Sometimes I'd say hey, there are kids at the next table over.

Something we can agree on B; and it shows a deficiency of self respect and emotional weakness (sorry if that includes your sis)

Something we can agree on B; and it shows a deficiency of self respect and emotional weakness (sorry if that includes your sis)

Well, she did stop.

When she had grandchildren. :)

But fines? :confused:

Well, apparently they felt strongly about it (those who voted in favor). I figure it's a form of "put your money where your mouth is." Unless one has Tourette's, there is really no reason they can't maintain a civil tongue in their head.

Well, she did stop.

When I think back at times I've used profanity (and in particular the F word) it was because I felt at some sort of disadvantage, and was trying to say (imply) more than the meaning of the context. I always examine any off color words I use in that way. Of course there are people who simply lack an effective vocabulary and their profanity is just clichés, but it still indicates weakness.

Well, she did stop.

When I think back at times I've used profanity (and in particular the F word) it was because I felt at some sort of disadvantage, and was trying to say (imply) more than the meaning of the context. I always examine any off color words I use in that way. Of course there are people who simply lack an effective vocabulary and their profanity is just clichés, but it still indicates weakness.

Better hope most of the board doesn't hear you say that. ;)

However, on a more solemn note. Do you remember the "Words can hurt worse than any fist" commercial? One can totally avoid using any 'swear words' and still do untold amounts of damage. I don't even think taking God's name in vain means swearing. I think it means using God and his words to cause pain and strife.

Well, apparently they felt strongly about it (those who voted in favor). I figure it's a form of "put your money where your mouth is." Unless one has Tourette's, there is really no reason they can't maintain a civil tongue in their head.

So now we have to pay for the "right" to speak freely?

What the hell is wrong with you.

At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks.

"I'm really happy about it," Mimi Duphily, a store owner and former town selectwoman, said after the vote. "I'm sure there's going to be some fallout, but I think what we did was necessary."

Massachusetts town OKs $20 fine for swearing in public

How the hell does this protect the public. Fines should be for public safety issues not for offensive language.

So, it should be OK to call others kikes, wops, polaks, crackers, krauts, rednecks, wingnuts and *******, etc. as long as it does not violate and endanger public safety?

Forum List

Back