2-Litre Issues

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Essentially every car manufacturer out there is now pushing 2-Litre turbo fours as either their primary engine, or a desirable upgrade. BMW sells $60 thousand sedans powered by a Turbo-4, as does Cadillac.

Architecturally, they are all basically the same. 4-in-line, DOHC, fuel injected, etc. Power ratings range from 200 to well over 300HP. It is the base engine in the Volvo XC90, for goodness sake.

In a Buick, GM rates their Turbo-4 at 250HP, but in a Camaro, the same engine is rated at 335HP. In Cadillacs, it's rated between 270 and 280.

What is the difference in these engines? Is it just the programming of the engine control module?

Why couldn't someone replace the chip in their Buick and have 335 HP?

Anyone know the answer?

Essentially every car manufacturer out there is now pushing 2-Litre turbo fours as either their primary engine, or a desirable upgrade. BMW sells $60 thousand sedans powered by a Turbo-4, as does Cadillac.

Architecturally, they are all basically the same. 4-in-line, DOHC, fuel injected, etc. Power ratings range from 200 to well over 300HP. It is the base engine in the Volvo XC90, for goodness sake.

In a Buick, GM rates their Turbo-4 at 250HP, but in a Camaro, the same engine is rated at 335HP. In Cadillacs, it's rated between 270 and 280.

What is the difference in these engines? Is it just the programming of the engine control module?

Anyone know the answer?
/----/ They can, just bring your 1998 Buick Lacrosse over to Jose's Speed Shop and ask for the $800 special. Now don't pay attention to their gut wrenching laughter, they are just glad to see you.
1234.jpg

A different turbo will deliver a different amount of boost, and hence more horsepower.
You can get as much power as you want, limited by the mechanical integrity of the engine.

Turbos usually have a limiting valve (a 'waste-gate') that dumps some exhaust pressure at high revs, so the engine doesn't self-destruct. This valve can sometimes be tweaked to allow higher boost, but at your peril!

I'm sure the engine management computer has a lot to do with it, but I'm guessing slightly different air management. and piston/cylinder design. It's not so much a matter of richer or leaner mixture as it is of having the right mixture in the exact right place at the right time giving a smoother and more efficient ignition of the gasses. I know giving the gasses a little swirl as they enter the cylinder makes a hell of a difference.

I'm sure the engine management computer has a lot to do with it, but I'm guessing slightly different air management. and piston/cylinder design. It's not so much a matter of richer or leaner mixture as it is of having the right mixture in the exact right place at the right time giving a smoother and more efficient ignition of the gasses. I know giving the gasses a little swirl as they enter the cylinder makes a hell of a difference.
/—-/ Gee. For a girl you know a lot about cars.

upload_2018-3-13_16-38-20.png

View attachment 182380
/——/ I was thinking more in the line of Mona Lisa Vito.
74C1D824-42C7-4C70-BB08-2CF02B6D8358.jpeg

View attachment 182380
/——/ I was thinking more in the line of Mona Lisa Vito. View attachment 182385

If that was me, I'd give myself a boner.

View attachment 182380

/——-/ Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60s, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
0A1AF5E4-6DFB-4399-AB6C-9B98E2551598.jpeg

Anyone know the answer?
Yes I can tell you...But I won't...

I just can't see a classic muscle car like the Camaro used to be with a 4 cyl engine regardless of the HP

My god 4 cyl with a turbo sounds like a fucking vacuum cleaner

View attachment 182380

/——-/ Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60s, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
View attachment 182388

I saw the show. Had a 63 tempest too. Same body as a GTO, but no hood scoop.

Forum List

Back