2,000 pages, $141MM and 2 people in NJ signed up

Yeah, the answer to Health Care is definitely "Mo n' Bigga Gubbamint!!" How could we not see that?

"Uninsured Slow To Sign Up For Coverage

Updated: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 6:35 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 6:33 AM EDT

HACKENSACK, N.J. - Just two people in New Jersey will begin receiving coverage Monday under new plans created by federal health care reforms."

Uninsured Slow To Sign Up For Coverage

Only two have been accepted so far. Closer to 1000 have applied or requested more information, so the article's title is very misleading. Also, they don't state all the obstacles that are involved to being accepted in some states. I'm not familiar with NJ, but I do know about Ohio since I am one of those who has applied and been accepted in the Ohio high risk pool. Here in Ohio, Medical Mutual is overseeing the high risk pool. In order to be approved, you must have bee denied by two insurance companies in the past six months, or you must have a certified letter from your physician stating what pre-existing condition you have that prevents you from getting health insurance. Also, you must send copies of the denial of coverage letters from the two insurance companies.

I knew about all this ahead of time, so I had my ducks all lined up. However, I had to reapply a month ahead of time with two different companies, and then it still took one of them three weeks to send me the denial of coverage letter. Had I waited until the program was open for enrollment, I would not have been able to send my application in immediately.

Yeah, the answer to Health Care is definitely "Mo n' Bigga Gubbamint!!" How could we not see that?

HACKENSACK, N.J. - Just two people in New Jersey will begin receiving coverage Monday under new plans created by federal health care reforms."

Here's an open secret about New Jersey: its individual market is one of only six in the county to have guaranteed issue rules for all insurance products. More than that, New Jersey has adjusted community rating rules that preclude insurers from rating on risk.

The PCIPs are for uninsurable (i.e. on the basis of pre-existing condition exclusions) people; due to the structure of its insurance market, New Jersey will have fewer such individuals than other states. In fact, for special case states like this, the PCIP may have to dip into other (price-based) criteria:
There are a few requirements to meet before you can enroll in the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan – regardless of whether your program is run by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or your state. Applicants must:

• Be a citizen or national of the United States or lawfully present in the United States.
  • Have been uninsured for at least the last six months.
  • Have had a problem getting insurance due to a pre-existing condition.

Different states may use different methods of determining whether you have a pre-existing condition and whether you have been denied insurance coverage. If you live in a state that guarantees insurance coverage, the state may consider you to have been denied coverage if you were offered coverage at an unreasonable price. So, you need to check on how to establish eligibility in your state.

In other words, New Jersey is a bad example. That's like checking in on how the Massachusetts PCIP is doing.

The plan was crafted by Obama and the Dems, must you LIE about everything?

Can't you own what a total fucking failure ObamaCare is? Whose fault is it, Booooosh?

I take it you're unaware that if health reform were to be "repealed and replaced" (i.e. by H.R. 4038), high-risk pools would be the permanent solution to the problem of the uninsurable (instead of phasing out over the next few years in favor of insurance exchanges, as these PCIPs will be); this is, of course, a big part of the reason that bill doesn't actually result in a decrease in the uninsurance rate.

If you don't like high-risk pools, you'll probably want to fight like hell to prevent the Republicans from implementing their alternative.

uscitizen is wrong. The real growth is not growth at all - it is the massive expansion of the size of government as a ratio of GDP. The increase in size and scope of the government is squashing real economic growth and real job creation.

Obamanomics = Epic Fail

the only growth during the Bush reign was from govt spending. and bogus finiancial deals.

And Obamanomics differs from this how?

uscitizen is wrong. The real growth is not growth at all - it is the massive expansion of the size of government as a ratio of GDP. The increase in size and scope of the government is squashing real economic growth and real job creation.

Obamanomics = Epic Fail

the only growth during the Bush reign was from govt spending. and bogus finiancial deals.

And Obamanomics differs from this how?

very little difference actually. Just Obama had a lot lower starting point to build on.
More of the same is not what we need.

It's not more of the same. Obamanomics is an expanse of government control and spending unlike anything we've ever experienced.

Maybe the government needs to spend millions of dollars advertising it like the Bush administration spent on the ads to get Seniors to enroll in their new medicare pill bill? :eusa_eh:

That must be it since no one, not even the Democrats who voted on it, could tell us what was in the bill!

You're a genius!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought there were 20, 30, 40 million uninsured? even if "Thousands" signed up...big fucking deal.

"There are over one million people in New Jersey without health insurance coverage."

The Medically Uninsured in New Jersey: A Chartbook - RWJF

ObamaCare = Epic Fail

Everybody knows ObamaCare is a failure, one of the biggest failures Progressives have even inflicted upon us.

Reform it. Repeal it. End it.

Reform it. Repeal it. End it.

The repeal-and-replace alternative relies exclusively on high-risk pools to deal with the problem of the uninsured. And, astonishingly, over the 2010-2013 period, their bill would allocate $3 billion to fund the high-risk pools, 40% less than this law allocates to the pools over the same time period.

"We hate the high risk pools! They're a failure! Repeal and replace this law with a law that will do the exact same thing!"

High-risk pools are not a good long-term solution to this problem (the Republican bill doesn't lower the uninsurance rate). As we may find out over the next two years, they may not even be a good short-term solution. But this was one of the bipartisan pieces of the law--designed in part to appease Republicans and in part to get something up and running immediately--that was taken from the Republican proposals. You're watching a piece of their long-term proposal in action right now. And it looks like you're not liking it. No worries, this program will be over in a few years under current law; under the repeal-and-replace bill, it would be permanent.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back