1st it is 10 years, then 100 years, now it could be imminent....And this is settled science?

Are you selling your property for a loss because of the ice sheets collapsing?

• Yes, i am a liberal and know that the NEWS wouldnt tell me a lie....

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe, i am a moderate and am concerned that i might drown if i stay home.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, this is another scam by the left to get stupid people to sellout cheap, so elites can buy cheap.

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
Tommy, you are one stupid ass. Crick is a geologist. He knows far more about natural history than you ever will. And while I am not a degreed geologist, I have taken the basic 200 level courses, as well as several others, including 470/570 Eng. Geo. Yes, there have been other eras of rapid warming. And they were driven by an increase in GHGs. And resulted in extinction periods. And, no, I am not claiming that we will cause our extinction, but with just what we have put into the atmosphere already, we are going to make things distinctly less pleasant in the upcoming years.

Do you think the forcing factors illustrated in that graphic do NOT apply to the Arctic?

What NATURAL factor do you believe has caused the warming, globally or in the Arctic? Saying it has happened before doesn't explain a fucking thing.

The sudden dropping of the ANTARCTICA argument to argue over the Arctic region is a very bad deflection.

It is clear you have abandoned the South Pole...........................

The Continent of Antarctica is waaaay too cold and below freezing year around in over 95% of the area. West Antarctica is also toooo cold to melt all that snow and ice mass. The only area that matters are influx of warm water and periodic Volcanic eruptions.

Meanwhile some recent published science papers on the region:

Researchgate

Hrbacek et al, 2018

Active layer monitoring in Antarctica: an overview of results from 2006 to 2015

“Active layer monitoring in Antarctica: an overview of results from 2006 to 2015 … Air temperatures showed significant regional differences within the study areas. In the western Antarctic Peninsula region, Vestfold Hills and northern Victoria Land, a slight air temperature cooling was detected, while at other sites in Victoria Land and East Antarctica the air temperature was more irregular, showing no strong overall trend of warming or cooling during the study period (Figure 2). The Antarctic Peninsula region has been reported as the most rapidly warming part of Antarctica (e.g. Turner et al., 2005, 2014), but cooling has been reported since 2000 (Turner et al., 2016). Relatively stable air temperature conditions during the past 20 years were reported in Victoria Land (Guglielmin & Cannone, 2012).”

“Significantly, thicker thaw depths were observed in the colder regions of the eastern Antarctic Peninsula and the coastal zone of East Antarctica. The general pattern suggests that factors other than regional climate should be considered when examining the ground thermal regime (e.g. Hrbáček, 2016). Between 2009 and 2014, substantial active layer thinning was observed at all sites in the western Antarctic Peninsula. The thinning was attributed to climate cooling in the region (Oliva, Navarro, et al., 2017; Turner et al., 2016) and changes in snow cover accumulation, as well as snow persistence during the summer, reducing active layer thaw (de Pablo et al., 2017). In contrast, pronounced active layer thickening between 2010 and 2013 was recorded at Novolazarevskaya in coastal East Antarctica.”

and,

Elsevier

Ramesh and Soni, 2018

Perspectives of Antarctic weather monitoring and research efforts

The present paper reviews the progress of India’s scientific research in polar meteorology. The analysis of 25 years meteorological data collected at Maitri station for the period 1991–2015 is presented in the paper. The observed trend in the temperature data of 19 Antarctic stations obtained from READER project for the period 1991–2015 has also been examined. The 25 years long term temperature record shows cooling over Maitri station. The Maitri station showed cooling of 0.054 °C per year between 1991 and 2015, with similar pronounced seasonal trends. The nearby Russian station Novolazarevskaya also showed a cooling trend of 0.032 °C per year. … The temperature trend in average temperature of 19 Antarctica stations is also examined to ascertain the extent of cooling or warming trend (Supplementary Table_S1). The majority of stations in East Antarctica close to the coast show cooling or no significant trend. … Turner et al. (2016) using stacked temperature record found a significant cooling trend for the Antarctic Peninsula for the period 1999–2014. Their study suggests that the warming on the Antarctic Peninsula during 1979–1997 and subsequent cooling during 1999–2014 are both within the limits of the decadal time scale natural climate variability of the region. Smith and Polvani (2017) examined the relationship between the SAM and Antarctic surface air temperature trends, in both models and reanalyses. They also found convincing evidence that natural climate variability is the major contributor to the warming of West Antarctica and Antarctic Peninsula. … The Antarctic Sea-ice extent has been showing increasing trend in the recent past few decades. The rate of change in Antarctic sea-ice extent exhibit strong regional differences with increase in some regions and decrease in other. The mean Antarctic sea-ice extent increased at a rate of 1.2–1.8% per decade between 1979 and 2012 (IPCC, 2013). Gagné et al. (2015) attributed increase in Antarctic sea-ice extent to internal variability.”

Last edited:
Tommy, you are one stupid ass. Crick is a geologist. He knows far more about natural history than you ever will. And while I am not a degreed geologist, I have taken the basic 200 level courses, as well as several others, including 470/570 Eng. Geo. Yes, there have been other eras of rapid warming. And they were driven by an increase in GHGs. And resulted in extinction periods. And, no, I am not claiming that we will cause our extinction, but with just what we have put into the atmosphere already, we are going to make things distinctly less pleasant in the upcoming years.

Education fallacy is boring, besides he did not even know there 138 Volcanoes under the ice, which I POINTED OUT. He ran away after I brought it up.

This is what your "geologist" stated in post 15:

"The boundary of the Antarctic Plate is well away from the Antarctic coastline and volcanism there would have no effect on the coastal ice sheets. Motion of the plate is quite consistent on both sides and on Antarctica itself. No subduction, no trenches, no heating. If you know of another, why don't you provide us a link?"

Then I posted hard evidence that there are at least 138 Volcanoes there, he suddenly go evasive, never acknowledging the existence off all those Volcanoes he said shouldn't exist with his words at post 15.

Thwates Glacier is getting well documented influx of Geothermal heat from a Volcano

Evidence for elevated and spatially variable geothermal flux beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet

Significance
Thwaites Glacier is one of the West Antarctica's most prominent, rapidly evolving, and potentially unstable contributors to global sea level rise. Uncertainty in the amount and spatial pattern of geothermal flux and melting beneath this glacier is a major limitation in predicting its future behavior and sea level contribution. In this paper, a combination of radar sounding and subglacial water routing is used to show that large areas at the base of Thwaites Glacier are actively melting in response to geothermal flux consistent with rift-associated magma migration and volcanism. This supports the hypothesis that heterogeneous geothermal flux and local magmatic processes could be critical factors in determining the future behavior of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet.

I appreciate the vote of confidence Rocks, but my degree is in Ocean Engineering.

I was not fully aware of the number of volcanoes under the ice and inside the boundaries of the Antarctic plate. However, your statement that those volcanoes make up the southern boundary of the ring of fire is incorrect. The northern edge of the Antarctic plate is the southern boundary of the Pacific's Rim of Fire and is well separated from the Antarctic continent.

Pine_island_glacier.png

As can be seen from this map, it does not require volcanism to collapse coastal sheets and accelerate the glaciers they contain ashore.

Last edited:
I appreciate the vote of confidence Rocks, but my degree is in Ocean Engineering.

I was not fully aware of the number of volcanoes under the ice and inside the boundaries of the Antarctic plate. However, your statement that those volcanoes make up the southern boundary of the ring of fire is incorrect. The northern edge of the Antarctic plate is the southern boundary of the Pacific's Rim of Fire and is well separated from the Antarctic continent.

Pine_island_glacier.png

As can be seen from this map, it does not require volcanism to collapse coastal sheets and accelerate the glaciers they contain ashore.

That is a pretty map, too bad you didn't provide a link for it.

Meanwhile you just IGNORED THIS again!

Evidence for elevated and spatially variable geothermal flux beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet

Significance
Thwaites Glacier is one of the West Antarctica's most prominent, rapidly evolving, and potentially unstable contributors to global sea level rise. Uncertainty in the amount and spatial pattern of geothermal flux and melting beneath this glacier is a major limitation in predicting its future behavior and sea level contribution. In this paper, a combination of radar sounding and subglacial water routing is used to show that large areas at the base of Thwaites Glacier are actively melting in response to geothermal flux consistent with rift-associated magma migration and volcanism. This supports the hypothesis that heterogeneous geothermal flux and local magmatic processes could be critical factors in determining the future behavior of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet.

Last edited:

Pine_island_glacier.png

That is a pretty map, too bad you didn't provide a link for it.

Meanwhile you just IGNORED THIS again!

Significance

Perhaps you ought to read what I say before you respond. I admitted that you were right about volcanism under the WAIS and that I had been unaware of its extent.

New Topics

Forum List

Back