1995 - the year I learned to despise Newt Gingrich

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    I finally found a quote I have been looking for for some time. Gingrich said this after a pregnant woman was killed by people who wanted to steal her baby:

Speaker Gingrich Lashing Out, in His Own Words - Text - NYTimes.com

(there are some more Gingrich quotes in that NYT article)

There might be a time for that kind of analysis - after all the facts have come out and after loved ones have had time to mourn. But my memory is that Gingrich didn't wait for the right time, and that after the case was further investigated by the police it turned out that there was a degree of inappropriateness in Gingrich's reference to "welfare" in connection with the criminals.

Whether my memory of the details is right or wrong, the effect of his speech on me was a profound and enduring revulsion.

That was the year that The American President came out. When I saw the movie and heard the Annette Bening character ask, "How do you have patience for people who claim they love America, but clearly can't stand Americans?", I immediately thought of Gingrich as a man those words fit.

I've become more right-leaning since the 1990's and can appreciate more of what Gingrich accomplished legislatively but that impression of him lingers and has on occasion been reinforced by new statements from him. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and I've gotten caught up with some of the excitement of him socking it to the media. But as I listen to the results of the exit polling from South Carolina, my sinking heart tells me that I haven't gotten over that feeling about him as hard as I've tried.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    I thought it was 2011 when he posed a threat to your Robot.

If he was referring to the case in question from IL, the case of Jacqueline Williams, he was spot on.

Deborah Evans - The Case of Deborah Evans

Wonderful people the welfare system produces.

I think the problem with welfare in general is that we call it an "entitlement' when we should call it "charity".

The two words have very different meanings, when you get down to it. "Entitlement" means you are owed something. "Charity" is exactly that, others helping you out of the goodness of their hearts.

3. mskafka

mskafka Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    In a land where partisanship doesn't exist.
    Ratings:
    +235
    It's difficult to swallow these words, coming from a man who was behaving (using his word) in a despicable manner in his private life, at that time and previously. I don't care whether or not he asked his wife if she would share him. That's their business. But to divorce two wives who have chronic illnesses. Two. One, I could see. Marriages go sour, and sometimes even an illness can't hold them together. But not two. Selfish. Self-righteous. Narcissistic. Three words I think of, when I think of Newt Gingrich.

He expects others to live up to standards that he himself cannot maintain.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

You thought wrong.

He's been revolting me that long. I wasn't sure of the year until I found that quote. I knew it was 1998 or earlier. 1998 was the year that Henry Hyde joined him on my list of Republicans who were turning me into a Democrat. I remembered 1998 because of the impeachment. If Bush hadn't come along and spoken of "compassionate conservatism", I would probably be a Democrat now. Or at least an Independent.

In recent years when Newt has been spoken of as sort of a grand old gent of the party, and an ideas man, I've tried to appreciate him more. But it seemed like every third or fourth time I heard him speak he would say something which made me glad that he couldn't possibly ever seriously make a run for the presidency. Like how he talked during the "Ground Zero Mosque" controversy. Making Nazi references. I was so glad that with all his baggage it was practically impossible for him to try for the GOP nomination.

.... and here we are.

His debate performances were good enough to make me think I could be okay with him until how he went all OWS on Romney. And yesterday I was still trying to be okay with him. But today, as I read about the SC results and reacted before I had a chance to filter my feelings, well ... it was a miserable feeling.

If he's the GOP nominee I'll root for him because I don't want Barack Obama to make any more Supreme Court appointments. But I don't think he can win. I think that too many people will have the same revulsion I felt and check the box for the clean-cut young man with the lovely family who may not be perfect but who hasn't screwed up as bad as some people thought he would and now has four years of experience in the office.

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Gingweasel lost me when he blinked in the 1995 budget showdown, only to have the dems go along with the same budget proposals the following year.

He's a gutless little turd.

6. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,866
    There's that word again...despise. A lot of hatred on the left.

7. mskafka

mskafka Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    In a land where partisanship doesn't exist.
    Ratings:
    +235
    I'm not sure if you read her entire post, but she is not left.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    The whole right wing demagogued the GZM issue, so I don't hold that against him. (I thought it was a silly issue, myself, but there it is.)

You see, I found the whole "Compassionate Conservativism" talk to be kind of offensive. It usually means, "The government isn't doing enough for you" that sort of admits the welfare state is a good idea.

You see, where I come from the Democrats want as many of us to be dependent on government as possible, and the Republicans want us all to be compliant little wage slaves to make douchebags like Romney richer. I honestly wish there was a third party that demanded fair treatment for all workers (not just the ones in unions), but still implored people that hard work was a virtue.

I think Gingrich is hitting that mark, although not consistantly and not with a clear message.

To go to the case you talked about, this was exactly the welfare state gone wrong. A woman who had four kids by three different guys was butchered by a her boyfriend (and father of the unborn child) so he could give her cousin a baby that she could use to keep a "baby daddy" in her life.

The very idea that the word "baby-daddy" has entered the venacular of our society is part of the problem.

Now, for Gingrich going all OWS. the thing is, he has a point. The guys on Wall Street have had all the sensitivity to the problems of 1780's French Bourbons or 1910's Russian Romanovs. Things are bad for a lot of people, their missteps have caused a lot of it, but as long as they are fat and happy, who cares about the rest of us? You don't have to be shitting in a park to realize that this is wrong and kind of offensive.

People like Romney are really part of the problem, destroying good paying jobs and replacing them with thankless "McJobs".

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    Gonna say nice stuff about Amelia here...

No, she isn't of the left. She really thinks Romney is the best guy to carry the banner forward. I don't, and have said so and expressed my disagreements. But I find her less cynical and disingenous than a Fake Snarky who really hates conservatives, or a Toro or CaliGirl who just think the GOP is there to make the 1% (and those who want to be the 1%) richer. She really thinks Romney is the guy to do it.

And I'm supporting Gingrich, but his tendency to go off on tangents is worrisome. I'm hoping his handlers can keep him on track. (As Robert Heinlein once observed in the great novel about politics, Double Star, a politician really is a team at the end of the day.)

I also think that Gingrich has more sincerity than Romney, and more of a wonkish understanding of issues. He's not like Bush, who really relied too much on advisors and got some shitty advice.

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    Well, I'm happy for you.

No, seriously, but do you thank those of us who worked for a living to pay for that welfare?

Or did you just think it was something you were "entitled" to?

I've been working since I was 16. I'm going to be 50 in May. So I've spent the last 34 years paying taxes and supporting the welfare state. Instead of getting all upset with me that I'm offended that there are people who are on their third generation of welfare, maybe you should be glad I'm working to provide it to you.

Because, honestly, I don't think I'll ever be able to retire.