1971 Video: Kerry Admits Throwing Own Medals; Contradicts Current Claims

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
In an interview published Friday in the LOS ANGELES TIMES, Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry claimed he "never ever implied" that he threw his own medals during a Hill protest in 1971 to appear as an antiwar hero.

But a new shock video shows John Kerry -- in his own voice -- saying he did!

ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA is set to rock the political world Monday morning with an airing of Kerry's specific 1971 boast, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

The video was made by a local news station in 1971.

It directly contradicts Kerry's own website headline: "RIGHTWING FICTION: John Kerry threw away his medals during a Vietnam war protest."

Kerry's campaign refused comment Sunday afternoon, citing a policy not to respond to the DRUDGE REPORT.

link

He just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper...I think he smoked a little too much you know what in Vietnam. He doesn't even remember what he says half the time ,then all the flip flopping. Do you think he has a double personality?

Discarded Decorations
Videotape Contradicts John Kerry's Own Statements Over Vietnam Medals
By Brian Ross and Chris Vlasto
ABCNEWS.com
April 25— Contradicting his statements as a candidate for president, Sen. John Kerry claimed in a 1971 television interview that he threw away as many as nine of his combat medals to protest the war in Vietnam.

"I gave back, I can't remember, 6, 7, 8, 9 medals," Kerry said in an interview on a Washington, D.C. news program on WRC-TV's called Viewpoints on November 6, 1971, according to a tape obtained by ABCNEWS.
Throughout his presidential campaign, Kerry has denied that he threw away any of his 11 medals during an anti-war protest in April, 1971.

His campaign Web site calls it a "right wing fiction" and a smear. And in an interview with ABCNEWS' Peter Jennings last December, he said it was a "myth."

But Kerry told a much different story on Viewpoints. Asked about the anti-war veterans who threw their medals away, Kerry said "they decided to give them back to their country."

Kerry was asked if he gave back the Bronze Star, Silver Star and three Purple Hearts he was awarded for combat duty as a Navy lieutenant in Vietnam. "Well, and above that, gave back the others," he said.

The statement directly contradicts Kerry's most recent claims on the disputed subject to the Los Angeles Times last Friday. "I never ever implied that I did it, " Kerry told the newspaper, responding to the question of whether he threw away his medals in protest.

"I'm proud of my medals. I always was proud of them," he told Jennings in December, adding that he had only thrown away his "ribbons" and the medals of two other veterans who could not attend the protest.

Full Story

Kerry in Medals Meltdown, Slams Bush Nat'l Guard Record

An angry-sounding John Kerry denied Monday morning that he ever claimed to have thrown away his three Purple Hearts and two medals for combat valor during an April 1971 anti-war demonstration, blaming Republicans for the new controversy and blasting President Bush's National Guard record.

"This comes from a president and a Republican Party that can't even answer whether or not he showed up for duty in the National Guard," a seething Kerry told "Good Morning America's" Charlie Gibson.

Kerry was responding to a 1971 interview unearthed by ABC News in which he told WRC-TV that he "gave back" somewhere between six and nine of his medals during a Washington, D.C., demonstration days earlier. News coverage of the episode shows Kerry and other Vietnam veterans throwing medals onto the steps of the Capitol building.

When pressed by WRC on whether the medals he "gave back" included his Purple Hearts and his other medals for valor, he replied, "Well, above that, I gave back my others."

But Kerry insisted to GMA that there was nothing to the story, and again tried to shift the focus to President Bush.

"This is being pushed yesterday by Karen Hughes in the White House on Fox. It shows up on several different stations at the same time," he complained. "This comes from a president who can't even show or prove that he showed up for duty in the National Guard. And I'm not going to stand for it."

As Gibson continued to press Kerry for answers, the Democratic presidential candidate raised Bush's service record for a third time.

"George Bush has yet to explain to America whether or not - and tell the truth about whether he showed up for duty. I'm not going to get attacked on something that I did that is a matter of record."

Challenged on the discrepancy between what he told WRC and what he says now, Kerry told Gibson, "Back then, ribbons, medals were absolutely interchangeable," insisting that he never said he had returned his combat medals.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/26/125135.shtml

Originally posted by jimnyc
Kerry in Medals Meltdown, Slams Bush Nat'l Guard Record

An angry-sounding John Kerry denied Monday morning that he ever claimed to have thrown away his three Purple Hearts and two medals for combat valor during an April 1971 anti-war demonstration, blaming Republicans for the new controversy and blasting President Bush's National Guard record.

"This comes from a president and a Republican Party that can't even answer whether or not he showed up for duty in the National Guard," a seething Kerry told "Good Morning America's" Charlie Gibson.

Kerry was responding to a 1971 interview unearthed by ABC News in which he told WRC-TV that he "gave back" somewhere between six and nine of his medals during a Washington, D.C., demonstration days earlier. News coverage of the episode shows Kerry and other Vietnam veterans throwing medals onto the steps of the Capitol building.

When pressed by WRC on whether the medals he "gave back" included his Purple Hearts and his other medals for valor, he replied, "Well, above that, I gave back my others."

But Kerry insisted to GMA that there was nothing to the story, and again tried to shift the focus to President Bush.

"This is being pushed yesterday by Karen Hughes in the White House on Fox. It shows up on several different stations at the same time," he complained. "This comes from a president who can't even show or prove that he showed up for duty in the National Guard. And I'm not going to stand for it."

As Gibson continued to press Kerry for answers, the Democratic presidential candidate raised Bush's service record for a third time.

"George Bush has yet to explain to America whether or not - and tell the truth about whether he showed up for duty. I'm not going to get attacked on something that I did that is a matter of record."

Challenged on the discrepancy between what he told WRC and what he says now, Kerry told Gibson, "Back then, ribbons, medals were absolutely interchangeable," insisting that he never said he had returned his combat medals.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/26/125135.shtml

Funny. I heard this earlier today and I thought to myself, watch WC, this man will blame Bush. Now I thought this but a part of me thought - Nah, even John Kerry wouldn't be that stupid.

Originally posted by acludem
Do I really have to lecture you all on how much Matt Drudge lies?

acludem

Do I need to lecture you on how the story was RECORDED and aired on abc? Look at my link, does that look like drudgereport to you?

You have to laugh at this man running for President of this fine country....everytime he gets in bind...everytime he is asked a question he cannot answer, everytime he puts his foot in his mouth he blames Bush! Isn't that funny as hell?

No I will not answer that question sir...why?....why won't I?...Well, we need to find out about why Bush....I am answering your question sir, as Americans, we need to find out why Bush...It's my wifes car ....but back to Bush....Like I said I only drive it I don't own it!...This is an outrage, Bush is .... What about my medals sir? Yes I have three purple hearts and a silver star and I have mentioned that again and again again...what?...Throw them where?...No...Videotape?...Back to Bush...No I won't answer your questions sir, we need answers from Bush...Its Bush's fault...Whatever the problem is sir, it is Bush's fault.

Originally posted by acludem
Do I really have to lecture you all on how much Matt Drudge lies?

acludem

Do I need to tell you to go to Drudge's web site and actually look at what is there?

Drudge's site is just a conglomeration of stuff for people to read. Almost none of it is written by him. It's for people to read and decide for themselves. So do that first before you accuse someone of lieing.

Forum List

Back