1962 Seattle Worlds Fair and 1965 NYC Worlds Fair

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Went to both (lived in Seattle area)

Went to NYC to visit relatives.

I thought Seattle had the better Worlds Fair - though both werepretty good,

So 1960ish

No drug dealers or users around during those worlds fairs. Place around Seattle Center is a magnet for all sorts of unsavory activity today.

I may be in the crowd scenes for It Happened At The Worlds Fair.

I spent days on end at the '82 WF in Knoxville. I formed a company with a friend of mine and we had licenses to sell merch on site and around town. It was a hoot.
Got tons of free press, including a live broadcast of the Today Show.

I went to the 64-65 NY Worlds fair

There were a lot of things there that ended up as rides at Disney World. It's a small world (damn, I hate that song), the animated Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address, world of tomorrow

The NYC World Fair was good - but I was sort of surprised it came so close on the heels of the Seattle Worlds Fair.

Seemed like NYC was doing some one-upmanship.

I though World Fairs only occurred every 20 years or so.

Last edited:
I think The Big Apple took the unexpected sucess of the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair as an affront.

Then 3 years later -- put on their own Worlds Fair. (good - but I still thought Seattle was better)

Everybody knew about NYC - but the 62 World Fair put Seattle literally on the map.

I think The Big Apple took the unexpected sucess of the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair as an affront.

Then 3 years later -- put on their own Worlds Fair. (good - but I still thought Seattle was better)

Everybody knew about NYC - but the 62 World Fair put Seattle literally on the map.

Hate to tell you, but it took a lot longer to put on the New Yorks Worlds Fair than two years. Worlds Fairs were the thing back then. Montreal had it's Expo three years after the New York Worlds Fair. I think Knoxville was the last one we had

I think Disney World killed the Worlds Fairs. People just said, I can see better stuff at Theme Parks like Disney and Universal

You are spot on.

Back in the early 60s - there was Disneyland and not much else.

The Disney World Theme Parks literaly killed worlds fairs.

Hate to tell you, but it took a lot longer to put on the New Yorks Worlds Fair than two years. Worlds Fairs were the thing back then. Montreal had it's Expo three years after the New York Worlds Fair. I think Knoxville was the last one we had

I think Disney World killed the Worlds Fairs. People just said, I can see better stuff at Theme Parks like Disney and Universal

Knoxville was one of the very few (if any) that turned a profit.
A handsome profit.
They hired folks to run cash-counting machines 24/7.
I lost $2k on my venture, but had the time of my life. :thup:

Expo in Spokane in the 70s was also a success.

But nothing matching the magnitude of the World Fairs that ended in the 1960s.

The Space Needle is better than the Globe.

The Space Needle was built for the 62 Seattle Worlds Fair - one of the most iconic symbols for any city - Seattle's Eiffel Tower. The Pyramids.

Last I heard - The Globe was still around.

I went up the observation deck ofthe Empire State Building in 1965 - back when it was THE TALLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Also went to the observation deck of the South Tower in the 80s - wasn't the same feeling.

The Space Needle is better than the Globe.

The Space Needle was built for the 62 Seattle Worlds Fair - one of the most iconic symbols for any city - Seattle's Eiffel Tower. The Pyramids.

Last I heard - The Globe was still around.

I remember Shea Stadium being built next to the Worlds Fair. The globe is still there

Yeah - I remember the Mets and Jets and Beatles played Shea in 65

I went up the observation deck ofthe Empire State Building in 1965 - back when it was THE TALLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Also went to the observation deck of the South Tower in the 80s - wasn't the same feeling.

I read an article where the Empire State Building still gets a lot of revenue from visitors to the observation deck.

But I went because I wanted to be on top of THE TALLEST BUILDING IN THE WORLD -which it was from the early 30s until thelate 60s - either the WTC or the Sears Bldg in Chicago eclipsed it.

Today proably not in the top 100,

Forum List

Back