1960s & 1970s revolutions in music

1976 Patti Smith-" pissing in a river"
The way she does this song gives me chills.
Affecting one's emotions is what good music should do.

I wouldn't say they were as important as The Who or the Stones, but they were a very small step down...
They were the American Beatles.

Oh, I think The Doors are more in that realm don't you?

It's THE perfect song for this forum! :lol: A complete understatement though! Lol! ;)

That's why i picked it!

THE FOUNDATIONS - Build Me Up Buttercup - There's Something About Mary vs. The Doors (The Crystal Ship) | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

Was lucky to have an older brother who was into music and discovered NEW bands for me when I was too young. He was at this concert. Their first album is still awesome and one my all time favs

Hear that manifold -- and when we lost Terry Kath to the foolishness of playing with guns we all mourned his loss

Chicago - Full Concert - 07/21/70 - Tanglewood (OFFICIAL)
Chicago (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Terry Kath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More Chicago at Music Vault: Music Vault
Subscribe to Music Vault: Music Vault

Setlist:
0:00:00 - In The Country
0:06:51 - Free Form Piano
0:11:21 - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
0:15:14 - 25 or 6 to 4
0:22:17 - Poem for the People
0:27:56 - I Don't Want Your Money
0:33:02 - Mother
0:38:48 - It Better End Soon
0:53:27 - Beginnings
1:00:13 - Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon (Make Me Smile) / So Much To Say, So Much To Give
1:06:53 - Colour My World / Make Me Smile
1:13:05 - I'm a Man
1:21:33 - Bill Graham Closing Announcements

Personnel:
Robert Lamm - keyboards, lead vocals
Terry Kath - guitar, lead vocals
Peter Cetera - bass, lead vocals
James Pankow - trombone, percussion
Lee Loughnane - trumpet, percussio, background vocals
Walter Parazaider - woodwinds, percussion, background vocals
Daniel Seraphine - drums

Kath was also said to be one of Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarists.[1] Kath struggled with health issues and drug abuse toward the end of the 1970s. He died in January 1978 from an accidentally self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Kath joined his first semi-professional band, The Mystics, in 1963, moving to Jimmy Rice and the Gentlemen in 1965.[2][3] He then played bass in a road band called Jimmy Ford and the Executives. Considered to be the bandleader, Kath guided the band's musical direction.[7] Ford was the trumpeter, Walter Parazaider played saxophone and other wind instruments, and Danny Seraphine later became the drummer.[8] Kath became close friends with Seraphine as they formed the rhythm section, as well as with Parazaider. The three musicians regularly socialized outside of the band.[9] They were fired from the group, which wanted to merge with another band, Little Artie and the Pharaohs, while leader and guitarist Mike Sistack explained that "it's just business."[10]

In 1966, Kath joined a cover band called the Missing Links,[3] taking Parazaider and Seraphine with him, and started playing clubs and ballrooms in Chicago on a regular basis.[11] Parazaider's friend at De Paul University, trumpeter Lee Loughnane, also sat in with the band from time to time.[12] Kath's compatriot, James William Guercio (who later became Chicago's producer) was lead guitarist in one of two road bands performing on The Dick Clark Show with the Missing Links.[2][13] Kath received an offer from Guercio to play bass for the Illinois Speed Press and move to Los Angeles, but declined as he considered the guitar his main instrument, and wanted to sing lead. He stayed with Parazaider, Seraphine and Loughnane instead,[14] who quickly recruited trombonist James Pankow from De Paul, and vocalist/keyboardist Robert Lamm.[12] Kath sang the lower range of lead vocals in the group[12] in a style reminiscent of Ray Charles.[14] The group practiced at Parazaider's parents' basement and changed their name to The Big Thing. With the addition of singer and bassist Peter Cetera of The Exceptions, they moved to Los Angeles and signed with Columbia Records, renaming themselves Chicago Transit Authority. In mid-1969 the name was shortened to Chicago.[15]

Chicago

Terry Kath was a great guitarist. Once he died, Chicago was never the same. That early sound was just awesome with that big fat pumping guitar sound driving the band.

Forum List

Back