(1947-52, 1959-60) Ronald Reagan US president who was president of a "labor union".

RDean- I know you were dropped on your head daily growing up, and are still brain damaged, but let me explain the conservative position on UNIONS one more time.

Conservatives are not anti-union for private sector workers. We are PRO-CHOICE in that area.
We are against PUBLIC sector unions. That is the same position that FDR held, along with George Meany, and many others from the union movement. Meany said: “It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government.”
The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions strike, they strike against taxpayers. F.D.R. considered this “unthinkable and intolerable.”

Government collective bargaining means voters do not have the final say on public policy. Instead their elected representatives must negotiate spending and policy decisions with unions. That is not exactly democratic – a fact that unions once recognized.

George Meany was not alone. Up through the 1950s, unions widely agreed that collective bargaining had no place in government.

F.D.R. Warned Us About Public Sector Unions - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

R-dean, please, please get help for your brain problem. It's sad watching you come here and make a total ass of yourself day after day....

Yea, because Republicans have been so supportive of the auto unions.

So STFU you damned dirty shitstain.

Brought the lulz. Facts create butthurt.

RDean- I know you were dropped on your head daily growing up, and are still brain damaged, but let me explain the conservative position on UNIONS one more time.

Conservatives are not anti-union for private sector workers. We are PRO-CHOICE in that area.
We are against PUBLIC sector unions. That is the same position that FDR held, along with George Meany, and many others from the union movement. Meany said: “It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government.”
The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions strike, they strike against taxpayers. F.D.R. considered this “unthinkable and intolerable.”

Government collective bargaining means voters do not have the final say on public policy. Instead their elected representatives must negotiate spending and policy decisions with unions. That is not exactly democratic – a fact that unions once recognized.

George Meany was not alone. Up through the 1950s, unions widely agreed that collective bargaining had no place in government.

R-dean, please, please get help for your brain problem. It's sad watching you come here and make a total ass of yourself day after day....

Ad homenim attack? Is that not a ban worthy offense? Let me go check the rules real quick. :lol:
EDIT: Naw, maybe moved to "Taunting Area" is all I can see.

Last edited:
trickle-down-laugh-4.jpg
obama-clinton-bush-lieberman-laughing.png

Some people will NEVER learn!

march_of_tyranny.jpg

Yet conservatives may be shocked to learn that their idol Reagan was once a union boss himself. Reagan was the only president in American history to have belonged to a union, the AFL-CIO affiliated Screen Actors Guild. And he even served six terms as president of the organized labor group. Additionally, Reagan was a staunch advocate for the collective bargaining rights of one of the world’s most famous and most influential trade unions, Poland’s Solidarity movement.

FLASHBACK: Ronald Reagan Called Union Membership 'One Of The Most Elemental Human Rights'

Reagan Says Being In A Union Is A Basic Right - YouTube

------------------------------------

Ronald Reagan was against an "illegal strike", but not against the right to bargain.

Laurence O'Donnell asked Willard supporter "Tim Pawlenty" why Romney would make a great president. Pawlenty said because he's a great businessman. Laurence said, "Name a president who had been a great businessman". Pawlenty was more stunned than Bush being told about the WTC. Then he blurted the one answer ALL Republicans cling to. "Ronald Reagan". Then both Laurence and Tim burst out laughing. Which lasted until Larry told Tim Reagan was the president of a labor union. Oops.

George H W Bush was also a union member.

I know of no Democrat president who was a member of a union.

Reagan was a Democrat, a union president and an actor. Not a good actor but a half-ass actor nonetheless. In other words, a faker. A pretender. But he got over like Lawrence Olivier on right-wingers, some of whom literally worship his memory.

Ronald Reagan was the man from General Electric. He was a corporate puppet and he commenced the destruction of the union movement and the ruin of the American middle class. But they still worship his memory.

Damn straight we do.

After four years of that left wing micro managing lunatic Jimmy Carter and gassing up on A days and B days, you bet we worship Ronnie Reagan.

Fuckin eh!!

ETA: anyone out there remember the Carter years fondly? You know, run your house at minus 100 degrees and wear sweater Jimmy Carter?

I think fondly of Carter, mostly because without him there was no way in hell that Reagan would have got elected. And for that, we should be grateful to him

Yet conservatives may be shocked to learn that their idol Reagan was once a union boss himself. Reagan was the only president in American history to have belonged to a union, the AFL-CIO affiliated Screen Actors Guild. And he even served six terms as president of the organized labor group. Additionally, Reagan was a staunch advocate for the collective bargaining rights of one of the world’s most famous and most influential trade unions, Poland’s Solidarity movement.

FLASHBACK: Ronald Reagan Called Union Membership 'One Of The Most Elemental Human Rights'

Reagan Says Being In A Union Is A Basic Right - YouTube

------------------------------------

Ronald Reagan was against an "illegal strike", but not against the right to bargain.

Laurence O'Donnell asked Willard supporter "Tim Pawlenty" why Romney would make a great president. Pawlenty said because he's a great businessman. Laurence said, "Name a president who had been a great businessman". Pawlenty was more stunned than Bush being told about the WTC. Then he blurted the one answer ALL Republicans cling to. "Ronald Reagan". Then both Laurence and Tim burst out laughing. Which lasted until Larry told Tim Reagan was the president of a labor union. Oops.
Saw that, but cons will come up with reasons why it was OK for Reagan.

Same reason it was ok for GWHBush. Movie studios were closed shop. You were part of the union or you didn't work. When Bush worked the oil fields in Texas he was also working in a closed shop.

Same reason my father was a republican all his life and a union member for 30 years. you are a member or you are out of a job.

If Reagan was around today, the GOP would kick him out of the party.

Reagan was a Democrat, a union president and an actor. Not a good actor but a half-ass actor nonetheless. In other words, a faker. A pretender. But he got over like Lawrence Olivier on right-wingers, some of whom literally worship his memory.

Ronald Reagan was the man from General Electric. He was a corporate puppet and he commenced the destruction of the union movement and the ruin of the American middle class. But they still worship his memory.

That's WHY they worship him, Mike.

Saw that, but cons will come up with reasons why it was OK for Reagan.

I would say the problem wasn't with Reagan, it was where the union movement has gone.

I was brought up in a union household and many of relatives are union members. I'm one of the few on the right here who has kind words for the unions.

So in the name of balance, I'm going to tell you exactly where the unions screwed it all up.

If you ask someone about a union worker, they don't think "There's a guy who's a hard worker." The first image they get is six guys standing around a hole watching one guy work because he has the least seniority. It might be a bit of a stereotype, but it's an image people have.

Union jobs today are seen like Rent Controlled Apartments. Wonderful if you happen to luck into one, but it doesn't do the rest of us any good. The unions aren't interested in showing their worth to the rest of us or even organizing in places. And the one place they find it a lot easier to protect those good wages is government jobs, because the government can't pack up and move somewhere, and it's easier to intimidate or cajole those who make the decisions. So what if the state is broke and businesses are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship? Dammit, we aren't going to give an inch on pay and pensions.

And that Union teacher who sleeps off a hangover when she's supposed to be teaching little Billy how to read? Forget about about firing her.

Now, when Reagan was the SAG president, there were some real honest to god abuses of actors. The "Casting Couch" was still a common practice (young actresses being enticed into sex to get a role in a movie, and usually it was 'dancing girl #14" in some movie). Long hours were common and workplaces were often dangerous. Keep in mind, this was the days when movies were made in six weeks.

Reagan sure whacked about 11,000 air traffic controllers in 1981.

In summer 1981 PATCO, the union of federal air traffic controllers went on strike, violating a federal law prohibiting government unions from striking.[107]

Declaring the situation an emergency as described in the 1947 Taft Hartley Act, Reagan stated that if the air traffic controllers "do not report for work within 48 hours, they have forfeited their jobs and will be terminated.

They broke the law.

It was an illegal strike.

I said at the beginning, "Ronald Reagan was against an "illegal strike", but not against the right to bargain."

And you were so sure you had an "AH HA" moment. Pity.

What "facts" are you talking about. FDR was talking about government unions. Auto workers are NOT government workers. Reagan was president of a union. But he was against ILLEGAL strikes. Get it? ILLEGAL. Find out the difference.

Where do they get these right wingers? I know. It has to be damp.

What "facts" are you talking about. FDR was talking about government unions. Auto workers are NOT government workers. Reagan was president of a union. But he was against ILLEGAL strikes. Get it? ILLEGAL. Find out the difference.

Where do they get these right wingers? I know. It has to be damp.

I will try to explain this to you one last time (because I have compassion for your damaged brain) .

Conservatives are not Anti-Union except for public sector unions which even FDR opposed. Conservatives are "pro-choice" for private sector unions. That means, if you work at a private sector job and they have an employee union and you want to join it, you can. We think that is just peachy. However if you do not want to join the union, you should not be forced to join as a condition of employment.

Last edited:
Reagan sure whacked about 11,000 air traffic controllers in 1981.

In summer 1981 PATCO, the union of federal air traffic controllers went on strike, violating a federal law prohibiting government unions from striking.[107]

Declaring the situation an emergency as described in the 1947 Taft Hartley Act, Reagan stated that if the air traffic controllers "do not report for work within 48 hours, they have forfeited their jobs and will be terminated.

They broke the law.

Doesn't matter to Rdean.

Forum List

Back