Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
I would recommend this movie to everyone. It will leave you basically speechless when the movie ends.

On a side note, the director Sam Mendes INSPIRED by the story in large part of his grandfather Alfred Mendes. Alfred Mendes served in WWI and he was an accomplished author himself. He had told stories to Sam Mendes and they affected him.

Alfred Mendes was a neighbor of my grandfather in Trinidad which is where he lived. Didn't realize any of this. I have two uncles that informed me about it. They, along with my mother were friends with James Mendes (Sam's father.)

I highly recommend the movie.

Last edited:
I saw it a week ago. Good movie that is filmed from the perspective of the soldier.

Maybe not among the best war movies I have seen but well worth a watch

I give it an A-....There was one big plot hole that I didn't like, though it didn't totally ruin the movie.

I wondered why they would trust such an important mission to just two soldiers rather then send several teams of soldiers.

Why when the single soldier linked up with that motorcade they didn’t send some soldiers with him

Why they couldn’t send an airplane to deliver the message.

I give it an A-....There was one big plot hole that I didn't like, though it didn't totally ruin the movie.
Which plot hole? Just curious
He jumps off the back of the truck of troops, immediately starts working over the blown out bridge and gets shot at....Where were the motorized troops to shoot back?....They didn't pull away that fast.

And a real sniper wouldn't have missed that many times shooting at someone that exposed.

I wondered why they would trust such an important mission to just two soldiers rather then send several teams of soldiers.

Why when the single soldier linked up with that motorcade they didn’t send some soldiers with him

Messengers in WWI were mostly solo actors.

Messengers in WWI were mostly solo actors.

Then why trust so important an order to a lone team?
How many messengers in WWI crossed No Mans Land and enemy territory?

Which plot hole? Just curious
He jumps off the back of the truck of troops, immediately starts working over the blown out bridge and gets shot at....Where were the motorized troops to shoot back?....They didn't pull away that fast.

And a real sniper wouldn't have missed that many times shooting at someone that exposed.
Yeah, in the review I put up, they referred to the autobiography of Alfred Mendes. In it he describes his experiences as a messenger and according to the autobiography they were missing him. He was confused by it and humorously said they may have thought he was mad man since he was by himself.

Watch from 6:45 in the review when he is reading from the autobiography and he gets to the snipers missing him.

Of course Alfred Mendes was 5 foot 4 and apparently they would often opt to use men with slighter builds to be messengers and that could have contributed to why they missed him.

Last edited:
Is the director a lefty?
More than likely, but he is being attacked by SJWs.

According to the demented sjw losers, it is a sexist movie and you are sexist if you see it, cause it does not portray women in it.

Is the director a lefty?
More than likely, but he is being attacked by SJWs.

According to the demented sjw losers, it is a sexist movie and you are sexist if you see it, cause it does not portray women in it.

I hear they did not do anything to underline the plight of transgender vegan latinos married to black transmen.
Outrage

Saw it Saturday.
Good movie, but - IMO - overhyped.
And I also had troubles with a great deal of unrealistic scenes, too many to count.

I can't imagine seeing this film on your 50" TV versus seeing it in the theater. I'm so glad I saw it in the theater before this virus shut them down, because the cinematography was amazing. It had a very realistic look (the uniforms, the trenches, etc, although when he was sprinting thru the abandoned town and found the woman and child, that was a bit much) but the visual effect of it all certainly made it worth seeing at the theater.

Forum List

Back